Who Had The Better Peak? MC Hammer Or Nelly?

THROWDOWN TUESDAYS: TOP 100 YEARS - SPECIAL EDITION

• MC HAMMER

• NELLY

• TIE

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
Air Force ones? bandaid s?

Naw, air force ones were popular before nelly dropped that song. That song dropped in 2002 and i distinctly remember rocking air force ones in 2001 with my phat farm jeans.

And honestly I was late on that trend because nikkas in Baltimore were rocking them in the summer of 1999

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
its been cool for a while now to pretend you and everyone you loved hated Hammer at the time though....so i think too many folks have been irreversably brainwashed and have blocked out the era where them and they whole family was Hammer stans:francis:

"the breaks" sums it up best with how hammer was viewed.

he wasn't unanimously hated like people make it seem in hindsight. he was satan in the eyes of rap purists & hardcore hip-hop fans..........but everyone else rocked with him at some point, in some sort of fashion at the very least.

I think the industry throws a lot of extra shade on his legacy because of the moves hammer & his brother were making behind the scenes.

hammer went too far pop tho. he even took the MC out of his name.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Nelly was a much higher drawing artist than hammer.
as he did what hammer did back to back on, numerous singles and on a kiss album release run schedule.
Plus he was culturally divisive like hammer.
Yet actually was on key and still to this day his DNA of melody is all over every music genre including country.
All of rap right now is a rnb based hybrid of nelly flow shared by r Kelly rap feature flows in auto tune at the base level. Before you get to the double time of bone biting.

This is like hulk Hogan versus cena.
if Hogan never was never in the nwo and never was exposed for the piece of shyt racist moment later on.
to reinvent himself with a sense of the cool heel, and then lose the luster from reinvention of himself.
to help his overall nostalgia and negative low quality memory from the first gateway fans in the rock'n wrasslin era.
The actual higher talent is John cena.

Yet you first have to think about the first boom independently and compare them individually.
Even if you add in the nwo stuff afterwards.
Same thing here, except with hammer people just remember the Gen one pop rap spectacle.
As he never drew after that or re-invented himself to a whole different demographic like nelly did with country.
Yet nelly was still the higher drawing artist.
To the point, nelly just recently and will Continue to have new marketing campaigns revisiting his dominance in bds.
Whereas hammer only had one moment like that with can't touch this and maybe a fringe pop moment with 2 legit.
With nelly, he actually has two diamond album runs of bds dominating hit records in multitude. Plus a double album that kinda for its time.
was the rnb meets rap lead album single collab standard.
That featured Kelly Rowland for that era before luv you better dropped.

Nelly rather easily was bigger than hammer.
Hammer, just was in the Gen that realized to late certain death knell could not be marketed with certain products. So hammer also got hurt in his negative pr for his mouth and the fact he was aligned to death knell ventures and products dually at the same time.
From children toys and low quality cartoons for a rapper and horrible product market placement in movies that were not urban.

Art Barr

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
real shyt,I remember nikkas aint even fukk with Prince like that,he was seen as a weirdo and a fakkit:mjlol:....I dont remember nikkas claiming Prince until i got older,seems like he became a real icon once all the real icons died or faded out in the last 10 years.....i didnt feel like he had the juice like the other people i mentioned.

Prince mustve missed my demographic all together,nikkas wasnt tryna listen to a dude in high heels with his ass out:scust:

edit-and dont get me wrong i know he had a movie so he mustve been big,but he either fell off by the time i was old enough to notice,or like i say he missed my demographic.

well, the weirdo fakkit stuff can be attributed to Michael Jackson too. mike hasn't had much of a real-time real nikka fanbase since "off the wall"

as '90s kids, prince didn't necessarily do much for most of us. his music was too eclectic. i remember the hype from the '80s tho, for purple rain and all that. more importantly for me, i remember the stuf he did for BATMAN.

as for the hammer era, he did have that graffiti bridge movie, and more importantly for us, that's when he gave Tevin Campbell that ultimate cosign on "round & round". plus, "diamonds & pearls" was out somewhere around this time too. i don't think it reasonated with the kids much, but yea, that's my go-to prince record - altho I'm not a fan.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
all this talk of the hammer cartoon, but am i the only one that remembers when nelly was supposed to get a sitcom?

it was supposed to be kinda like the fresh prince of bel air.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
How many many album cycles did Hammer have on top?

Nelly had 2 albums where he was super hot

The 1st album was good, the second album was trash but had hits

Nelly put the Midwest on

I wanna say Hammer but I'm not well versed in his run aside from the huge singles

Nelly came into the game with no cosign & put the Midwest on.

bone thugs put the Midwest on.

you can say that hammer had 3 albums cycles where he was super-hot.

in fairness, you can honor what nelly did with sweatsuit. as well.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
No I can't

he took a chance, dropping 2 separate albums on the same day.

and they sold well.

only thing negative is that wack ass eagle song, which deterred people from purchasing the sweat disc.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
he took a chance, dropping 2 separate albums on the same day.

and they sold well.

only thing negative is that wack ass eagle song, which deterred people from purchasing the sweat disc.
The song with Jaheim was wack too

He was creatively bankrupt at that point