Who Had The Better Peak? MC Hammer Or Nelly?

THROWDOWN TUESDAYS: TOP 100 YEARS - SPECIAL EDITION

• MC HAMMER

• NELLY

• TIE

Results are only viewable after voting.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
History will be kinder to nelly tho because his drop off wasn't dramatic. Just you can only burn red hot for so long.

it was a good amountt of factors that made him fall off

his sister dying
the fallout from tip drill video
the tim mcgraw duet
trap music

sporticus

https://bit.ly/36fn72e
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nelly didn't have the same rap success and nowhere close to the outside rap success. So it's not even close.

:snoop:

That's all fine and well but peak could mean artistically. Peak could mean strictly record sales. Peak could mean a lot of things.

If we're talking solely financial success or sales, Hammer wins. But even then, he had little to no respect, and was openly ridiculed by half of rap. Nelly didn't hit those same peaks career-wise, but he sold a fukk ton and still got respect as a rapper. Or at the very least, he didn't get openly disrespected. So artistically, he peaked higher than Hammer.

Fred.

But history has shown us time and time again that the rap world doesn't matter. Let's be honest.

They set and dictate trends. That's basically where it stops. They don't buy albums, especially now. They don't support their own. They're crabs who turn on a rapper just as quick as they claim to like him. They exist solely to jump on the nuts of the first unknown mixtape artist and then jump off as soon as he succeeds.

So really, their scorn and ridicule means nothing. Vanilla Ice is still eating after all that hate. All that love and DMX is getting audited. Nobody hates Hammer anymore because nobody had a real reason to hate him in the first place.

Last edited:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
and I'd take Hammers music over Nelly's.

Hammer has only like three records and they are unspinnable.
At least with a nelly record all of pop has its DNA.
There is no DNA in Pop related to hammer.
Nelly was much bigger than hammer.
Nelly was the black marketed superstar opposite the white hope pop ideal marketed in to Eminem, just without a biopic movie credit to extend to like eight mile.
Hammer only had the Addams family of which the actual soundtrack song .
did not resonate past the opening video being in network television.
It was met with more lukewarm reception than black or white minus the car destruction in a glove fake outrage controversy Michael Jackson went through.

Art Barr

Last edited:

Marlo Barksdale

Really out chea
Daps
Reppin
Tha M
It was easy for the average person to have never heard of Nelly. It was virtually impossible for anybody in the early 90's to escape Hammer. He was even talked about heavy in sports with Deion Sanders & the Oakland A's. He even popularized the phrase "it's all good." Man Hammer was that dude lol.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps

Hammer has only like three records and they are unspinnable.
At least with a nelly record all of pop has its DNA.
There is no DNA in Pop related to hammer.
Nelly was much bigger than hammer.
Nelly was the black marketed superstar opposite the white hope pop ideal marketed in to Eminem, just without a biopic movie credit to extend to like eight mile.
Hammer only had the Addams family of which the actual soundtrack song .
did not resonate past the opening video being in network television.
It was met with more lukewarm reception than black or white minus the car destruction in a glove fake outrage controversy Michael Jackson went through.

Art Barr

HOW?

Hammerman.jpg

il_570xN.898830385_m6t3.jpg

Hammer has sold about 30 million albums in the US alone. He has sold more than 50 million records worldwide, breaking down numerous doors for rap music and demonstrating that hip-hop had the potential for blockbuster success. A multi-award winner, M.C.

He has been referred to by Peter Shapiro as "one of the biggest stars of the new millennium", and the RIAA ranks Nelly as the fourth best-selling rap artist in American music history, with 21 million albums sold in the United States.

Nelly - Wikipedia

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
I still love Let's get it Started. When Hammer came on the scene via Music Jukebox, that shyt was LIT!!

:blessed:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

HOW?

Hammerman.jpg

il_570xN.898830385_m6t3.jpg

Hammer has sold about 30 million albums in the US alone. He has sold more than 50 million records worldwide, breaking down numerous doors for rap music and demonstrating that hip-hop had the potential for blockbuster success. A multi-award winner, M.C.

He has been referred to by Peter Shapiro as "one of the biggest stars of the new millennium", and the RIAA ranks Nelly as the fourth best-selling rap artist in American music history, with 21 million albums sold in the United States.

Nelly - Wikipedia

You also are forgetting nelly dominate the bds with more than numerous high chart topping releases over two diamond albums world/domestic combined.
Hammer was never a bds giant like nelly.
Like I said earlier nelly was larger and in time.
actually recreated a diamond sales envelope twice back to back.
Hammer only had one selling envelope like nelly.
Plus never weathered any cultural backlash like nelly as well.
As nelly continued to draw, over two diamond sales accredited albums worldwide/domestic.
Not to mention, when was hammer ever as big as Eminem.
As nelly was the black alternative top pop draw to Eminem.

Art Barr

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
well, the weirdo fakkit stuff can be attributed to Michael Jackson too. mike hasn't had much of a real-time real nikka fanbase since "off the wall"

as '90s kids, prince didn't necessarily do much for most of us. his music was too eclectic. i remember the hype from the '80s tho, for purple rain and all that. more importantly for me, i remember the stuf he did for BATMAN.

as for the hammer era, he did have that graffiti bridge movie, and more importantly for us, that's when he gave Tevin Campbell that ultimate cosign on "round & round". plus, "diamonds & pearls" was out somewhere around this time too. i don't think it reasonated with the kids much, but yea, that's my go-to prince record - altho I'm not a fan.

speaking of Prince...it is something that Hammer is one of the VERY few artists in Prince's lifetime that actually cleared a sample from him legally for Pray

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
speaking of Prince...it is something that Hammer is one of the VERY few artists in Prince's lifetime that actually cleared a sample from him legally for Pray

hammer prolly told him that he was about to challenge mike jack to a dancing duel.:heh:

raw613

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
602 via 410
Hammer had a higher peak as a mainstream star when you include endorsements and all that but , Nelly would pretty clearly win if we were talking about overall career

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
real shyt,I remember nikkas aint even fukk with Prince like that,he was seen as a weirdo and a fakkit:mjlol:....I dont remember nikkas claiming Prince until i got older,seems like he became a real icon once all the real icons died or faded out in the last 10 years.....i didnt feel like he had the juice like the other people i mentioned.

Prince mustve missed my demographic all together,nikkas wasnt tryna listen to a dude in high heels with his ass out:scust:

edit-and dont get me wrong i know he had a movie so he mustve been big,but he either fell off by the time i was old enough to notice,or like i say he missed my demographic.

Don't know how i missed this..

Breh...

Prince was one of the biggest stars in the 80s.

The reason you didn't hear much about it in the 90s is because he purposefully removed himself from the industry once he started rocking slave on his face and changed his name from Prince to that symbol.

Then when the internet started popping, and youngins was able to go back and watch the icons from the 80s, Prince made sure all of his music, videos, and performances were damn near impossible to find unless you purchased them.

In the 80s, as far as pop stars go, it was Whitney, Mike, Prince, and Madonna.

After the Purple Rain movie and album came out, I'd argue he was possibly the biggest star on the planet, on par with Mike.

Run-DMC came out with Sucker MCs the same year that Purple Rain came out (1984) and after that, it became uncool for Hip Hop artists to continue to dress like that.

They made it cool to dress like the people in the crowd instead of putting on costumes.

Before then, nobody was really tripping off the clothes, hair and shyt because most musicians dressed like that.

White and Black artists were on that androgynous shyt heavy.

Pop stars, funk stars, R&B, Hip Hop, and Rock stars.

It became cool to clown him in the 90s/early 00s because he was the biggest star from that time, and the only one that continued to dress like that past the 80s.

Last edited: