White man confirms Black people have been in America thousands of years before Slavery

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No, ocean navigation is far different for a number of reasons. Before I get into that, I just wish to note that Trans-Saharan trade has been going over for over a millenia - well before the rise of the Mali Empire.

Anyway, the sands of the Sahara do not have the problems of prevailing winds and currents. Sailing before the age of steam required sailors to know what currents/winds they could tack onto in order to sail to a destination. No such equivalent in walking across a desert
:mjgrin:
So for instance, if you were a sailor in Mogadishu around 1500 - you'd have to wait for the right monsoon wind to take you to Calicut in India. But if you weren't careful, you could miscalculate the right departure time and become stranded where you were.

Bedouin Arabs, Tuaregs and other people traversed the Sahara at various times of the year. Even during harmattan. So no. They're not equivalent.

You keep writing what you think that you know that they did or what their capabilities were. I am willing to say that I don't know what their technology was at that time nor do I know what their capabilities were.

Anyway you seem stuck in your mindset. So that is that.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You're citing the source you cited earlier. My response to it is generally the same. Without concrete evidence, I do not believe this claim made by that source.

Moreover, catamarans/outrigger canoes are not a technology that was used by West Africans. Another problem with the claim that West Africans developed that particular technology is why did they stop using them after inventing them? There's no further evidence of their use in the region. In contrast, Polynesians have been using catamarans continously (through many kingdoms and societies) since 1500 BCE.

How do you know that? You just made a claim so now the question is how do you know that?

Maybe they stopped using it, because they didn't have a need for it considering that they didn't have a need to sail to outer bank islands.

Daps

AndroidHero

Superstar
Daps
"We taught them civilization," same shyt Europeans said about Africans. And there is zero evidence to support any of those claims

I hate to say it but these days the people who are falsifying history the most aren't even white.

:snoop:

Sometimes I think these people who call themselves 'Afrocentric' are really no different from 'Eurocentric'.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
You keep writing what you think that you know that they did or what their capabilities were. I am willing to say that I don't know what their technology was at that time nor do I know what their capabilities were.

Anyway you seem stuck in your mindset. So that is that.

I know a lot about pre-colonial Africa and ,surprisingly to some, sea travel before the age of steam.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
How do you know that? You just made a claim so now the question is how do you know that?

Maybe they stopped using it, because they didn't have a need for it considering that they didn't have a need to sail to outer bank islands.

There's been no archeological evidence of catamarans. There's been no written accounts of catamarans. And Africans didn't build those types of ships prior to the colonial period.

"Maybe they stopped using it, because they didn't have a need for it considering that they didn't have a need to sail to outer' bank islands" - this entire time you've been complaining about my alleged conjecture but here you are.

If they didn't have a need for catamarans, why (allegedly according to you) use them in the first place? Why use the technology abruptly for only one state in West Africa's history (Mali)? Why not Songhai after Mali? Why not Ghana before Mali? Why wasn't it diffused to other places in Africa like other technologies had been in the past like the stirrup or iron-working?

:francis:

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Because the Olmec who Mexico provided one to a African nation had dreads n shyt breh no striaght hair

olmec-braids-1024x645.jpg

Breh a scientist use a boat that the natives used and sail to South America with no problem m.

re: dreads - Interesting that you mention that. Dreadlocks are a hairstyle that's not unique to Africans. Aztec priests had dreadlocks.
Hindu asetic (below) have dreadlocks
1024px-Sadu_Kathmandu_Pashupatinath_2006_Luca_Galuzzi.jpg

Ancient Minoans had dreadlocks
800px-NAMA_Akrotiri_2.jpg

re: Sailing to South America

I'm sure you're referencing Thor Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki expedition. That expedition, once again, used technology which wasn't utilized by pre-colonial West Africans. Lateen sails, double-hulled outriggers.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There's been no archeological evidence of catamarans. There's been no written accounts of catamarans. And Africans didn't build those types of ships prior to the colonial period.

"Maybe they stopped using it, because they didn't have a need for it considering that they didn't have a need to sail to outer' bank islands" - this entire time you've been complaining about my alleged conjecture but here you are.

If they didn't have a need for catamarans, why (allegedly according to you) use them in the first place? Why use the technology abruptly for only one state in West Africa's history (Mali)? Why not Songhai after Mali? Why not Ghana before Mali? Why wasn't it diffused to other places in Africa like other technologies had been in the past like the stirrup or iron-working?

:francis:

So you really don't know. And you keep saying Africans. We don't know the technology used in all parts of the continent or how it traveled from place to place. For instance the Bantu migration allegedly started in modern day Nigeria and Cameroon. Later on we see those Bantu people (former West Africans) traveling the seas; or how else do you explain them getting to Madagascar? How hard can it be to lash canoes together and put a platform and sail on it?

We just don't know enough about that era to really speak definitively on what those people knew. I don't understand why you just can't admit that you don't know.

Btw, it was either you or someone else that mentioned that the Cape Verde Island was not inhabited, which is why I mentioned that the Mailans may not have had a need to sail to the islands on the outer banks; so there may not have been a need for that technology.

Last edited:

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
So you really don't know. And you keep saying Africans. We don't know the technology used in all parts of the continent or how it traveled from place to place. For instance the Bantu migration allegedly started in modern day Nigeria and Cameroon. Later on we see those Bantu people traveling the seas; or how else do you explain them getting to Madagascar?

We just don't know enough about that era to really speak definitively on what those people knew. I don't understand why you just can't admit that you don't know.

- That phrase in quotations is yours.That's why it's in quotations :francis:

- No, I've been saying West Africans exclusively throughout this entire exchange. Moreover, I've brought up examples of East African societies (such as the Somali and Swahili) which had trans-oceanic sailing technology.

re: Bantu settlement in Madagascar

The distance between Madagascar and say Mozambique is very short compared to the difference between Senegal and Guatemala. Also, monsoon winds make reaching Madagascar quite easy if you have a boat. In comparison, sailing from the Gulf of Guinea (around modern day Nigeria/Cameroon) is quite tough because the prevailing winds tend to trap boats which can't cut into the wind with their sails.

We know a lot about the technologies which were available to various peoples over the eons. We can deduce what they were capable of, based upon such evidence.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
- That phrase in quotations is yours.That's why it's in quotations :francis:

- No, I've been saying West Africans exclusively throughout this entire exchange. Moreover, I've brought up examples of East African societies (such as the Somali and Swahili) which had trans-oceanic sailing technology.

re: Bantu settlement in Madagascar

The distance between Madagascar and say Mozambique is very short compared to the difference between Senegal and Guatemala. Also, monsoon winds make reaching Madagascar quite easy if you have a boat. In comparison, sailing from the Gulf of Guinea (around modern day Nigeria/Cameroon) is quite tough because the prevailing winds tend to trap boats which can't cut into the wind with their sails.

Aren't there prevailing winds from Africa to the Americas? Isn't that how we get hurricanes in North and Central America during the Harmattans in West Africa? In fact the winds from West Africa take the dust from the Sahara and deposits it in the Amazon jungle in Brazil. So aren't those prevailing winds? Wouldn't that make it easier to sail to the Americas?

Saharan Dust From Africa Brings Hazy Skies to Texas Gulf Coast

So wouldn't there sometimes be prevailing winds sailing from Gambia to Brazil? I know that there is a windward coast (Liberia and Ivory Coast), but I don't know the connection between that and sailing; but there must be wind if it is windward; right? I can't recall all of the stuff that I read on slavery over the years, but I seem to recall reading a long time ago that it was easier for slave ships to sail to Brazil rather than to the Caribbean and the USA.

I still don't understand why you will not admit that you might not be fully aware of the technology during that era.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Aren't there prevailing winds from Africa to the Americas? Isn't that how we get hurricanes in North and Central America during the Harmattans in West Africa? In fact the winds from West Africa take the dust from the Sahara and deposits it in the Amazon jungle in Brazil. So aren't those prevailing winds? Wouldn't that make it easier to sail to the Americas?

Saharan Dust From Africa Brings Hazy Skies to Texas Gulf Coast

So wouldn't there sometimes be prevailing winds sailing from Gambia to Brazil? I know that there is a windward coast (Liberia and Ivory Coast), but I don't know the connection between that and sailing; but there must be wind if it is windward; right? I can't recall all of the stuff that I read on slavery over the years, but I seem to recall reading a long time ago that it was easier for slave ships to sail to Brazil rather than to the Caribbean and the USA.

I still don't understand why you will not admit that you might not be fully aware of the technology during that era.

That's a good question. Around the tropics around the world is described as an 'Intertropical Convergence Zone' or the doldrums. Winds can disappear altogether in this area for weeks.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Interestingly enough, the phenomenon which contributes to this lack of wind also can precipitate squalls or hurricanes. The weather in the region appears to be very unpredictable unlike the monsoon winds which have a regular pattern each year.

Edit: The Trade Winds could in theory aid Africans if they had the required naval technology (like a carrack) to make a trans-oceanic voyage. But as previously discussed, West African states did not employ such naval technology.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
They just found a large scale civilization in South Africa dating back 20 thousand plus years. Adding the math these people in order to obtain that knowledge of the pyramid which is sumpreme math that's takes thousands of years of development.

Link? :feedme:

Jammer22

All Star
Daps
If they did not return to Africa, how come there's no mention of an African remnant population that they enslaved after Indigenous peoples were destroyed? After all, Africans are not susceptible to the diseases which killed Indigenous Americans.

Tbf

It's possible that over the generations in America that the Africans would have lost some of their immunity to the various old world diseases quickly. The only reasons Euros and Africans dealt better with disease was the continual exposure which built up immunity back in their lands over thousands of years.

Actually, the fact that some areas in mesoamerica died at a rate of 50%-60% could've been the result of admixture before among other things.

Oh, and Euros were filthy.