while i'm sure it will surpass it one day, why was there no word of Ant Man doing GREEN LANTERN #s??

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
How much was it supposed to open with $95m?:mjlol: Thor and Captain America only opened $7m higher at the time of their release, Captain America and Thor also didn't explode until after The Avengers crossover:comeon:. It's most likely going to make more than the first Thor film which made $450m when it's all said and done.
based on what breh :mjcry:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
It doesn't mean anything. If this kind of stuff was enough to derail Marvel's plans they would've altered them after "The Incredible Hulk" underperformed back in '08.

I'm sure it would be ideal for Marvel if all their movies made a lot of money but the fact of the matter is all these solo movies are building towards the Thanos arc. And you can't have Thanos fighting 5 guys....you can't do Civil War with the same core Avengers....you gotta build towards that. And I don't think anybody in their right mind thinks "Infinity War" is going to flop, so this is just an investment towards that.

Fred.
Yup. Until we see how BP is presented in Civil War, can't really judge individual success.. b/c they can make him a high tech Predator/Batman Beyond type (minus the flight) like how he currently is in the comics... or they could make him the "karate black guy in tights who throws kitchen knives"... as he's been simplified to in the past.

CM just kinda depends, b/c she's literally an unknown to female audiences/everybody. It's a blank slate. But that she has Superman-level abilities and projectiles means they could amp up the fighting to some Man of Steel level fukkery and really grab casuals more so than talking to ants ever could.

So it all kinda depends on portrayals... and i think both films are currently slated in the gap between Infinity part 1 and part 2... so that adds another dimension of marketing/plot direction to consider

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
:heh:

and yeah, they can shove it talking about noteriety when a movie about a rac00n and a tree had a big week 1 and follow-ups. but antman's opening weekend flizzop is because he isn't known enough? word?
vin diesel + Bradley Cooper being attached to a marvel project already put GOTG in a different category to antman just off the star power didn't matter the characters and story was obscure

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
This is 100% correct. Marvel sold the cinematic rights to X-Men, that's the sole reason we've even discussing an Ant-Man movie right now.

I hope cats aren't dumb enough to think we'd be getting a Guardians Of The Galaxy, Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, etc. movie if Marvel could use X-Men. They gotta use these C-D tier characters because their A tier is gone.

Fred.

If Marvel owned the rights to all their properties... shiiiit Scarlett Johansson would probably be Jean Grey, and Black Widow would likely be Agents of Shield status lol... maybe Netflix. There would literally be no need for Captain Marvel either b/c the X-Women would fill in all those needs.

Spider-Man, X-Men, the Fantastic Four (if only because of Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer, etc) would be at the fore front.. and while you would still have Iron Man, Captain America and Hulk involved, the Avengers as a brand would be radically different... either in importance or team members.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
If Marvel owned the rights to all their properties... shiiiit Scarlett Johansson would probably be Jean Grey, and Black Widow would likely be Agents of Shield status lol... maybe Netflix. There would literally be no need for Captain Marvel either b/c the X-Women would fill in all those needs.

Spider-Man, X-Men, the Fantastic Four (if only because of Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer, etc) would be at the fore front.. and while you would still have Iron Man, Captain America and Hulk involved, the Avengers as a brand would be radically different... either in importance or team members.

Exactly. And Thanos would obviously be Apocalypse.

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
NYC

lmao imagine coming full circle and ending up right back where we started, with the avengers as B characters.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
not to be a Marvel Stan, but there was no reason to expect huge numbers for this. go watch the movie, it's not even close to the scope of every other Marvel movie, why should it make the same money? b/c of the studio?

i liked it, but it was like half a superhero movie. i thought it would make $70, so it came in less, but i don't think these numbers are that shocking to Marvel.

and people want a Black Widow movie. that shyt would flop like a mother fukker. they know that.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Seemed to surpass it in the first week. Plus it is generally positive reviewed, Green Lantern not so much.
Yuuup thats what im saying.Thats why they need to bless us with that Modok movie! :blessed:
Was Dr. Zola like a Modok tribute in the Winter Soldier? That's what I was thinking during that scene in the basement.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Seemed to surpass it in the first week. Plus it is generally positive reviewed, Green Lantern not so much.

Was Dr. Zola like a Modok tribute in the Winter Soldier? That's what I was thinking during that scene in the basement.
Nah, that scene in Winter Soldier was a little nod to the comic book version of Zola who has an artificial body with a TV screen on its chest that broadcasts Zola's face.
8y6j4If.jpg

Modok is basically a giant evil baby head with midget arms and legs. And I am going to need Marvel to stop bullshytting and get him on a movie screen ASAP.
mBNWIBp.jpg

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think Marvel said fukk it & sacrificed a flick

Just to add another character for Thanos to crush in Infinity Wars

End of the day, it's "Ant-Man". I don't think they expected it to blow up at the box office...no matter how much marketing they put behind it.

Which is exactly why the marketing was so :ld: