Where does the South start?

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
Virginia aint in the south nikka thats the eastern seaboard

I thought the same thing about VA growing up in Texas but once you visit there, you will quickly find out that yes, VA is definitely the South. I mean you can't visit Roanoke (star city of the South), Richmond, 757, Emporia, Lawrenceville, Danville, etc. and come out and say VA isn't Southern. NOVA is different from the rest of the state but NOVA doesn't equal the state. VA has more in common with the Carolinas then they do with Pennsylvania or New Jersey.

Stuntone

Louisiana Made, DC PAID!
Daps
Reppin
IT Cert-Gang Mafia, GMB and HOH
Being a dude from Louisiana, living in DC and lived in Va Beach/Dwntown Norfolk for 4 years. The entire Virginia is a transition into the south. Northern VA does not have a very southern atmosphere. Richmond is different, feels like Bmore to me. Petersburg Va has a southern Vibe. Hampton Roads has a lot of military guys for the deep south, so the vibe is a little more southern and cool.

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
Like others have said VA is one of the most confusing places to live in. We are on East Coast time but considered the South so it has always been a debate to what VA really is. But i have always considered VA part of the South.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
NoVa is NOT the south

MD and DC accents might sound southern-ish but we do our own thing - NOT the south

bmore is not in the quote unquote DMV :childplease: bmore is stuck between imitating the northeast and the south, the way they talk and dress and their music

the south begins in central VA. it used to be northern va but DC/MD blew up and it became northernized with all the carpetbaggers buying houses in VA. hence sarah palin and them saying NoVa wasn't "the real VA" in the 08 elections

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
When I was little and would be riding to NC with my parents, I always felt like I was in the south after we passed that real old building on the side of I-95 in Richmond.

This sounds like a conversation I had with my brother in law. He was living in Lakeland, FL (midway between Tampa and Orlando), talking about he was living "in the south". And I was like :ufdup: "You ain't really living "in the south" with all them Puerto Ricans and Dominicans down there, breh... It ain't a down south type mentality" Ya'll stopped being "southern" somewhere around Jacksonville..."

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
The south starts halfway through virginia we do NOT claim northern virginia at all them nikkas on they own shyt

shyt even some spots in NC dont feel like the south tbh :manny:

Sweet

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Technically mason dixon line.

to me, its Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, south carolina.

if you don't regularly have to worry about hurricanes you don't live in the south. :pacspit:

The other 5 mason dixon states make no sense lol. thats the other slave states to me
those 6:umad:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
So this is basically a "make your own definition"/"dont count me as southern" thread

I don't know why people hate on being southern, my roots are country ass lousiana, I wish my grandparents would've stayed in lousiana so that I'd have a better connection to it, as an african American, i gotta appreciate the culture from which I come, and for most of us, that last link is our southern roots.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
When I was little and would be riding to NC with my parents, I always felt like I was in the south after we passed that real old building on the side of I-95 in Richmond.

This sounds like a conversation I had with my brother in law. He was living in Lakeland, FL (midway between Tampa and Orlando), talking about he was living "in the south". And I was like :ufdup: "You ain't really living "in the south" with all them Puerto Ricans and Dominicans down there, breh... It ain't a down south type mentality" Ya'll stopped being "southern" somewhere around Jacksonville..."

you mean that church that kinda juts into the highway? near powhite parkway (po' white trash pkway)? if you're sitting in a corner room there, you can spit on passing cars i bet

So this is basically a "make your own definition"/"dint count me as southern" thread

I don't know why people hate on being southern, my roots are country ass lousiana, I wish my grandparents would've stayed in lousiana so that I'd have a better connection to it, as an african American, i gotta appreciate the culture from which I come, and for most of us, that last link is our southern roots.

good point. my girl's family is from southern MD and are country as all get out :whew:

and black chicagoans have a country ass refiltered mississippi accent too

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
you mean that church that kinda juts into the highway? near powhite parkway (po' white trash pkway)? if you're sitting in a corner room there, you can spit on passing cars i bet

I don't know if it's a church, but it's this one:

5865272-Richmond_from_I_95_Parris_Island.jpg

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Yeah, I can attest that spots in Raleigh will have you thinking that you're not in the south.

where you at in NC breh :ohhh:

it's amazing how some of these nikkas think the dmv is on some southern shyt :wow:

went up there and seeing everyone wearing nike boots n shyt had me :scusthov: