When Was Drake Ever Broke?

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
This thread is about a Canadian pop star who grew up wealthy rapping/singing ducktales
about "poverty" or being "broke". Everything being discussed here is purely from a North
American perspective. I mocked the idea of "Poverty being subjective" in that sense.
It isn't a totally subjective thing, based on income rates and cost of living, there is
a real figure for being "broke".

Growing food isn't a 3rd world thing, it's a human thing, bartering was replaced by money
but someone still has to grow it and someone still has to "barter" for it, only we trade through
money not pookah shells.

@Zee Scribe has a point, self induced poverty in a first world country being pushed
as "Real" poverty or as equals is total B.S. that doesn't stand up to any real scrutiny.
It's so ridiculous that you had to resort to 3rd world poverty pleas as a way to undercut
someone genuinely struggling in the 1st world.

@The Devil's Advocate also has a point someone making $50k a year in America is making
more than over %50 of the country.
Only 20% are Middle-Class, Most Don't Come Close | The Economic Populist

Barely getting by on that salary doesn't mean you're "broke" or living in "poverty".
It means you're managing your funds poorly.

I never said Drake rapped about EBT but keep throwing up those
strawmen breh.

You writing a whole lot and still ignoring the obvious.
Your example of poverty, watching a mom buy food with a EBT card, to someone else , hell the majority of the poor in the world is a luxury they might dream about.
Poverty is relative.

Which is my point. Don't cry to me accept reality and move on.

blizzard man

Join the Nintendo Fun Club today!
Daps
Reppin
DC
damn, you just love the word strawmen huh, @Insensitive

youre the one who equated broke with EBT and tried to front like 'broke' aint a slang term that is used subjectively, regardless of which north american continent you're on. scroll up to your earlier post. read it again.

but keep misunderstanding simple concepts because you need to hate drake breh

and again, no one said poverty was subjective. i said broke was subjective, because it a slang term. i've clarified that multiple times, but you conveniently miss that in my responses. theres an earnings bracket for poverty, theres percentages of populations that are homeless.

aint no earnings bracket for 'broke'. i wonder why?

but, coli gon coli

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
thats why i said most of yall in this thread must be extremely broke, cuz yall acting like 50k a year is a stuntin ass salary

even if its not the avg, its still not a grip if you an actual human being with bills to pay, people depending on you, etc.

also, most of america sucks with money, thats why most people in america dont got more than 1000 in savings at any given moment.

class disparity makes this shyt confusing cuz 'broke' is subjective, just like 'middle class' is.

if drake was saying he was destitute and living in the projects, then id be concerned

but im sure he been normal nikka broke, as in, deciding which bills to pay this month
that i can understand... deciding what bills to pay... again, that just means you bad with your money.. there is a poverty line and 50k ain't on it.. like the other dude posted, there are stats for this and half the country ain't making 50k. so to half the people here, 50k is a lot of money

i guess you gotta just see the context.. dude is on a song with gucci, a dude that probably really been broke, rapping about being broke, when the man he rapping with wouldn't even consider that broke.

drake knows what he was trying to paint with that line.. same as started from the bottom.. and it damn sure ain't "i lived in a nice neighborhood with money and i spent it too wildly so now i need to figure out if i should be late on this light bill for the 3 bedroom house i own at 17"

blizzard man

Daps
Reppin
DC
that i can understand... deciding what bills to pay... again, that just means you bad with your money.. there is a poverty line and 50k ain't on it.. like the other dude posted, there are stats for this and half the country ain't making 50k. so to half the people here, 50k is a lot of money

i guess you gotta just see the context.. dude is on a song with gucci, a dude that probably really been broke, rapping about being broke, when the man he rapping with wouldn't even consider that broke.

drake knows what he was trying to paint with that line.. same as started from the bottom.. and it damn sure ain't "i lived in a nice neighborhood with money and i spent it too wildly so now i need to figure out if i should be late on this light bill for the 3 bedroom house i own at 17"

deciding what bills to pay doesn't automatically mean you're bad with you're money, sometimes shyt jsut happens and more money is going out than coming in. i think if thats a regular occurrence, then yeah, you bad with money, but sometimes, the L's just stack up.

but youre right mane, all i was saying is that, hes prolly been in those positions at most, broke positions, but not poverty stricken obv.

i think thats why in his songs, he doesnt go into specifics, cuz he not trying to seem disingenuous, but he also wants his tent writers to write shyt thats still relatively accurate.:troll: i think alot of people relate to lines like that because hes not acting or saying he was poor and destitute, or on food stamps. thats a specific poverty level, and outside that, theres varying degrees of brokeness that we all experience at one time or another.

hence, 'started from the bottom' is a great line, because the audience can mean whatever they want/need it to, which is why that shyt was a smash.

its a double edged sword though, because all the drake haters decide to take it insanely literally.

i doubt the song woulda had the same impact if he had been like 'i started from the [insert tax bracket], now im here'

i think someone mentioned earlier that breh wasn't owning a single family home at 17, so thats just ducktales cats add on to fit their narrative, which makes it easier for them to hate the dude.

you hit it on the head though with: its all about context, and cats on here wanna ignore that and act like drizzy is rapping about living in a shanty with no plumbing and shyt, its cornball status.

Last edited:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
damn, you just love the word strawmen huh, @Insensitive

youre the one who equated broke with EBT and tried to front like 'broke' aint a slang term that is used subjectively, regardless of which north american continent you're on. scroll up to your earlier post. read it again.

but keep misunderstanding simple concepts because you need to hate drake breh

and again, no one said poverty was subjective. i said broke was subjective, because it a slang term. i've clarified that multiple times, but you conveniently miss that in my responses. theres an earnings bracket for poverty, theres percentages of populations that are homeless.

aint no earnings bracket for 'broke'. i wonder why?

but, coli gon coli
No one fronted on shyt breh.
You went and assumed I didn't believe in subjectivity
because I made a troll post.
You writing a whole lot and still ignoring the obvious.
Your example of poverty, watching a mom buy food with a EBT card, to someone else , hell the majority of the poor in the world is a luxury they might dream about.
Poverty is relative.

Which is my point. Don't cry to me accept reality and move on.
I never once mentioned 3rd world countries where people barely have roads
to drive on let alone government created food programs, YOU and your boy @bill blasky
did, hence why I said it was "Strawman".

Don't create shyt to argue against when I never I said it breh.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
No one fronted on shyt breh.
You went and assumed I didn't believe in subjectivity
because I made a troll post.

I never once mentioned 3rd world countries where people barely have roads
to drive on let alone government created food programs, YOU and your boy @bill blasky
did, hence why I said it was "Strawman".

Don't create shyt to argue against when I never I said it breh.
I didn't say you mentioned 3rd world, read kid.
You don't know what a strawman argument is, so stop using a term you don't understand.
Seeing that I literally responded to what you typed, you are incorrect.
So again learn and move on, stop embarassing yourself using terms you don't understand and making poor arguments.

blizzard man

Daps
Reppin
DC
oh it was a troll post? well then we are all good breh :mjlol:

for the future, thats what you lead with. dont argue with me for 20 minutes over your troll post :mjgrin:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't say you mentioned 3rd world, read kid.
You don't know what a strawman argument is, so stop using a term you don't understand.
Seeing that I literally responded to what you typed, you are incorrect.
So again learn and move on, stop embarassing yourself using terms you don't understand and making poor arguments.
Strawman :blessed:
1. an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

2. a person regarded as having no substance or integrity.

:to: That moment when you realize why a poster is in the red.
:pachaha:

Drake stans are a special breed.
:banderas:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Strawman :blessed:
1. an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

2. a person regarded as having no substance or integrity.

:to: That moment when you realize why a poster is in the red.
:pachaha:

Drake stans are a special breed.
:banderas:
I didn't misrepresent your position.
I literally responded to what you typed.
YOu are the one who seems to have problems reading and comprehending though.

Not a Drake fan by the way wither.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't misrepresent your position.
I literally responded to what you typed.
YOu are the one who seems to have problems reading and comprehending though.

Not a Drake fan by the way wither.
Responding to what I typed wouldn't include adding in things I never mentioned in an
attempt to bolster your argument. Hence the reason we got on to talking about 3rd world
countries and bartering for food.

I didn't even come in here to debate, I came to make a drive by post and laugh
at stans.
:wow: Even when I don't try I'm successful :wow:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Responding to what I typed wouldn't include adding in things I never mentioned in an
attempt to bolster your argument. Hence the reason we got on to talking about 3rd world
countries and bartering for food.

I didn't even come in here to debate, I came to make a drive by post and laugh
at stans.
:wow: Even when I don't try I'm successful :wow:
I didn't add in thing s you never mentioned. I literally made a response to your post.
We didn't talk about the 3rd world, you talked about it as if it made a difference to the point I made.
So again, like I said in the future try to not use words you don't know how to use and when someone replies to you, actually read what they type and make a logical reply to them if you reply back.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:martin:

maxresdefault.jpg

a block away from his crib - looks like a real upper class neighborhood

:camby:FOH

That cornball you're quoting is from Canada.:mjlol:

Fred.

Terrance Curtis Beasley

These ni*gas claim Top 5 but we OVOK
Daps
deciding what bills to pay doesn't automatically mean you're bad with you're money, sometimes shyt jsut happens and more money is going out than coming in. i think if thats a regular occurrence, then yeah, you bad with money, but sometimes, the L's just stack up.

but youre right mane, all i was saying is that, hes prolly been in those positions at most, broke positions, but not poverty stricken obv.

i think thats why in his songs, he doesnt go into specifics, cuz he not trying to seem disingenuous, but he also wants his tent writers to write shyt thats still relatively accurate.:troll: i think alot of people relate to lines like that because hes not acting or saying he was poor and destitute, or on food stamps. thats a specific poverty level, and outside that, theres varying degrees of brokeness that we all experience at one time or another.

hence, 'started from the bottom' is a great line, because the audience can mean whatever they want/need it to, which is why that shyt was a smash.

its a double edged sword though, because all the drake haters decide to take it insanely literally.

i doubt the song woulda had the same impact if he had been like 'i started from the [insert tax bracket], now im here'

i think someone mentioned earlier that breh wasn't owning a single family home at 17, so thats just ducktales cats add on to fit their narrative, which makes it easier for them to hate the dude.

you hit it on the head though with: its all about context, and cats on here wanna ignore that and act like drizzy is rapping about living in a shanty with no plumbing and shyt, its cornball status.

He should've said Started from Degrassi not started from the bottom

Daps
Reppin
In The Clouds
Upper-middle class is 100s of thousands of dollars post-tax in Toronto per year.
Forest Hill is the 4th wealthiest neighborhood in Toronto.
That cornball you're quoting is from Canada.:mjlol:

Fred.
Dudes really caping for a guy who grew up in the 4th wealthiest neighborhood in Toronto. I've seen it all.