When Madame Web bombs at the box office will that put an end to all high budget female led superhero movies?

Lonj

Superstar
Daps
It's 2023 breh eye candy ain't getting nikkas in the car to go to the movies:mjlol:

3dBYaf4H2qCoE.webp

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Female or male lead,, they still need to market towards men to be successful, meaning female lead movies need to be sexy.
They taking the 2016 ghostbusters approach with these films, when they need to take the tomb raider approach.

These ladies showing less skin than the dudes now. Every male actor taking his shirt off while the women aren’t even showing cleavage anymore.

They out here making chick flicks and wondering why men aren’t showing up.

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
That doesn’t answer anything. What are the real numbers? You can lie with statistics.

If 100 men and 30 women show up to movie A but 61 men and 39 women show up to movie B we can paint the picture that women were the problem with movie B but in actuality, they over performed while men under performed by %15.
Breh, stop. This is pathetic. I get where you're coming from, I truly do.

But reality is reality. Look up the gender split for most of these superhero movies. It's always usually 55-65% men, and 35-45% women. Even when the main character is female.

Even your analogy doesn't work. In the instance that 39 women show up to Movie B and overperform... why couldn't it still be more? Why can't women ever be the 100 to mens 39 for a superhero movie?

Yaboysix

That nikka
Daps
Reppin
Tampa Florida
All y'all saying female lead superhero movies bomb because of men not wanting to watch them, no...it's because the movies SUCK! NOT even the women are trying to see them...

EVERYBODY went to see girly ass Barbie..men and women liked it

Personally., I ain't trying to see no Spiderman movie with no Spiderman in it (I have yet to see any of the venoms or morbious)

Not trying to watch no ninja turtles movie with no ninja turtles in it, or trying to watch no power rangers movie with no power rangers in it lol

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
Female or male lead,, they still need to market towards men to be successful, meaning female lead movies need to be sexy.
They taking the 2016 ghostbusters approach with these films, when they need to take the tomb raider approach.

These ladies showing less skin than the dudes now. Every male actor taking his shirt off while the women aren’t even showing cleavage anymore.

They out here making chick flicks and wondering why men aren’t showing up.
Breh men are actually showing up more than the women though. Percentage wise they are actually making up a bigger portion of the viewers.

br82186

Superstar
Daps
This won't do well, but it isn't a Disney situation. It's more so the fact that Sony keeps trying so damn hard on making the Spiderman universe work.

In other words, if it isn't a Spider-Man or Venom film then it ain't working.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Breh men are actually showing up more than the women though. Percentage wise they are actually making up a bigger portion of the viewers.
They still aren’t showing up as much as they do for male led films.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

But reality is reality. Look up the gender split for most of these superhero movies. It's always usually 55-65% men, and 35-45% women. Even when the main character is female.

Even your analogy doesn't work. In the instance that 39 women show up to Movie B and overperform... why couldn't it still be more? Why can't women ever be the 100 to mens 39 for a superhero movie?
Bre using them outdated Film Room debate tactics:mjlol:

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
I don’t care enough to do the research. We both doing the Spider-Man meme pointing at each other but I can admit I’m not researching the topic.

I’d be willing to bet the drop off in viewership is greater comparing males to females.

To your final point, pandering to the group isn’t required to do well unless every movie has to do Spider-Man numbers. I don’t know what financial success looks like for this movie but I doubt the group that needs pandering and the studio view it the same.
And suddenly, my interest has waned in this conversation. I will say that if a given group does not need pandering, then why even fault them in the first place? They were never the intended demographic nor apparently played a part in their plans because if they did, one would consider understanding said group. It's either that or figure out how to grow the groups that did show up in which case, those groups are actually to blame in the first place for not coming out in troves or the blame lay with the studios for not cultivating said groups.

In short, being upset at a specific demographic for a movie's failure seems silly and in many ways, pointless, if there is no interest in trying to understand that demographic, especially if there was no interest in wanting them or their patronage in the first place and makes even less sense to blame them.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
i saw the trailer for this, when i saw godzilla the other day. it was off-putting

there are things that women are better than men at. comedy, sports, and acting just aren't among them :dead:
I don't think they need to be better, they just need to be good. Which, maybe they aren't in this case? :yeshrug:

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps

We’re going round in circles. The convo jumped the shark. I’ll give my final thoughts and dip.

Any man that takes pleasure, gets upset, or calls for Hollywood to stop casting movies with all female leads when they don’t do well are mentally weak. We took the long way to get here but my mind hasn’t changed :yeshrug:

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
We’re going round in circles. The convo jumped the shark. I’ll give my final thoughts and dip.

Any man that takes pleasure, gets upset, or calls for Hollywood to stop casting movies with all female leads when they don’t do well are mentally weak. We took the long way to get here but my mind hasn’t changed :yeshrug:
I never caled for Hollywood to stop casting female leads. I said that this thread was mean spirited earlier in the thread :skip:

All I said was that blaming men for why female led movies fail is silly and inaccurate.

You're combining two different points.