When did the myth that andre 3000 is better than big boi start

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Outkast has always been hated on by New York hip hop heads.

Especially during their golden era from '94 - '98.

I wonder how many folks in this thread supporting this bullshyt are from the Tri State..

New Yorker. Southerplayalistic was right there getting spins with Jeru, Nas & The Shyhiem album.

Remember the Diamond D remix of the title track? I do.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
New Yorker. Southerplayalistic was right there getting spins with Jeru, Nas & The Shyhiem album.

Remember the Diamond D remix of the title track? I do.

There's exceptions to every rule breh.

NYC has millions and millions of folks. I'd be an idiot to think that every single person listened to the same shyt and had the exact same thoughts on music.

I'm speaking generally.

And respect to Diamond D, but I'd much rather hear Organized Noize's version

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Stop the foolishness. I see yall trying the East Coast bias spin. Facts is just facts. You, or Hex, or any other n!gga in here, post some credible sh!t prior to the Eminem mention that shows that the Hip Hop community thought Dre was much better than Big Boi and was considered some God like MC. Go head...I'll wait.

You're talking about two separate things....when Dre became a GOAT contender and whether or not he was considered better than Big Boi.

Dre got Hip-Hop Quotable for "Babylon" in '96.

The Source gave Posdnuos and Dave co-quotable for "Stakes Is High" the same year.

The Source didn't even give Big Boi equal billing for his verse on the same song as Dre. That alone shows who was seen as better, 6 years before Eminem said anything.

Like I said, I dunno what was going on in the east. People were talking about Andre was superior from "Player's Ball" onward in the mid west. And it got worse through "Aquemini".

I see people saying "because Em said" or "white people said it after Em did"....I was at Westport high school in KCMO in 1994. Anybody who spent any time in Kansas City, Missouri will tell you Westport was literally 99% black. As was basically every school in midtown KCMO.

These conversations were going on years before white people at large discovered Outkast, or Eminem.

As far as when he was considered an all-time great, I dunno. That's harder to nail down.

Fred.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
You're talking about two separate things....when Dre became a GOAT contender and whether or not he was considered better than Big Boi.

Dre got Hip-Hop Quotable for "Babylon" in '96.

The Source gave Posdnuos and Dave co-quotable for "Stakes Is High" the same year.

The Source didn't even give Big Boi equal billing for his verse on the same song. That alone shows who was seen as better, 6 years before Eminem said anything.

Like I said, I dunno what was going on in the east. People were talking about Andre was superior from "Player's Ball" onward in the mid west. And it got worse through "Aquemini".

I see people saying "because Em said" or "white people said it after Em did"....I was at Westport high school in KCMO in 1994. Anybody who spent any time in Kansas City, Missouri will tell you Westport was literally 99% black, up until it closed in 2010. These conversations were going on years before white people at large discovered Outkast, or Eminem.

As far as when he was considered an all-time great, I dunno. That's harder to nail down.

Fred.

Bro, Dre getting a Hip Hop quotable does not mean people thought he was better than Big Boi. There's plenty of rappers in groups that got Hip Hop quotable, that didn't necessarily mean that rapper was better than other members of his group. It just meant a Source editor thought that rapper's verse was the most noteworthy from that particular month. And I don't know what decision making process was behind giving both Pos and Dave co credit that one time but why do you believe that has any relevance to who they thought was a better rapper? You trying to say they were implying they both were on the same level MC wise? So when they gave RZA a Hip Hop quotable on a verse he did on a Ghostface track, that meant they thought RZA was the superior MC?

And again...where I'm from n!ggas never was talking about 3K being some superior rapper over Big Boi. And n!ggas definitely wasn't talking about him as a GOAT level MC. I didn't hear none of that talk on the streets, on TV, on print media...anywhere...until Eminem said it.

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Most people didn't look at Andre was better when Outkast was at its peak. As Spliz said, it shows by who got more solo features. In fact, I never even heard anyone say Andre was better until I got online and a bunch of nerdy sissies liked Andre better because he was a cross dressing weirdo that they related with, so they gravitated to him more. nikkas that actually went outside, thought that nikka was super talented but a goofy and enjoyed Big Boi more.

Y'all love using the term "revisionist" history even when it doesn't apply simply to make it seem like your stance was the more popular opinion back in the day. Most of y'all be talking out your ass. This is a perfect example.

Your corny emojis don't change the facts. That just isn't even remotely true. You clearly didn't live through their 1993-1998 run because no he wasn't considered better at all. Nobody was really considered better than the other. They were pretty much equals but real nikkas like Big Boi more because he wasn't a weirdo. Only after years of Internet brainwashing was Andre considered this GOAT contender while Big Boi somehow became the talented after thought. Saying Andre is better is a very logical and fair assessment, I'm not mad at that. Saying that he was always looked at as superior is just flat out incorrect and bs.

These are the most insane posts I've ever seen from you. To hate Andre on your own is one things. To just reinvent the entire Outkast narrative to justify it is beyond outrageous.

By far one of the weirdest things on this board is when New York cats start talking about the very music they all fronted on when it first came out, then assume some stance of absolute knowledge of what people really thought about it.

I'm from Harlem, but was in the south playing ball when the first Kast album dropped, and the vast majority of people - as overwhelming as consensus of Q-Tip being better and more creative than Phife - believed Andre was an absolute star; by the second album people viewed him as a genius M.C.; his peers absolutely admired him. Big Boi was cool and pretty dope and had his moments, but he wasn't in Andre's stratosphere, no way, no how.

It seems like most of the "Big Boi was always considered better" almost always comes from New York nikkas, or Nas and Jay stans who try to shyt on every artist anyone mentions as being one of the all time greats out of some weird insecurity. Also, nikka who can't get pat their homophobia and are furious the dude wore weird outfits and had his shirt off a lot and was singing.

The opinion is pretty much insane and completely out of step with history, their verses, their peers, logic, sanity, all of that good shyt.

But y'all carry on. I'll see y'all cats in the "Morris Day Was Actually Better Than Prince" thread.
:manny:

Billy Ocean

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
These are the most insane posts I've ever seen from you. To hate Andre on your own is one things. To just reinvent the entire Outkast narrative to justify it is beyond outrageous.

By far one of the weirdest things on this board is when New York cats start talking about the very music they all fronted on when it first came out, then assume some stance of absolute knowledge of what people really thought about it.

I'm from Harlem, but was in the south playing ball when the first Kast album dropped, and the vast majority of people - as overwhelming as consensus of Q-Tip being better and more creative than Phife - believed Andre was an absolute star; by the second album people viewed him as a genius M.C.; his peers absolutely admired him. Big Boi was cool and pretty dope and had his moments, but he wasn't in Andre's stratosphere, no way, no how.

It seems like most of the "Big Boi was always considered better" almost always comes from New York nikkas, or Nas and Jay stans who try to shyt on every artist anyone mentions as being one of the all time greats out of some weird insecurity. Also, nikka who can't get pat their homophobia and are furious the dude wore weird outfits and had his shirt off a lot and was singing.

The opinion is pretty much insane and completely out of step with history, their verses, their peers, logic, sanity, all of that good shyt.

But y'all carry on. I'll see y'all cats in the "Morris Day Was Actually Better Than Prince" thread.

Another ubiquitous Nas hater chimes in with his warped views on Andre 3000's standing amongst Hip Hop heads. Word to Big Mel and Art Barr.

Billy Ocean

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Tell posters from THE MEDIA CAPITAL OF THE WORLD that they have no idea what the Hip Hop community thought of a rapper, brehs :dead:

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
When 3000 stopped wearing baseball jerseys and started wearing pink wigs and sheep skin. He separated himself from everyone else in the game by just being different...

2014GETTY135424782_10130114.jpg

Whos that in that coat? pure pimp :banderas:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK

I never said Big Boi was always considered better, I said I, PERSONALLY, thought Big Boi was better, and the people I knew gravitated more towards Big Boi than Andre. I said they were considered equals when I was growing up. Nobody, in my entire life said to me "Yo, Andre is the one" out of the group, until I got online. This is a fact. That's some internet shyt. I have a shyt ton of family down south as well, and nobody said Andre was better. Nobody I talked to looked at either one of them as the side kick. They were just Outkast the group. It wasn't like people, at least the one I knew of, or in publications, acting like Andre was the superior rapper. Find me articles pre-2000 where people are clamoring over Andre like he's in another stratosphere than Big Boi. That didn't happen. That happened in Mobb Deep, Tribe, but I didn't see that with Kast. It was just two equal rappers. I just know my people and the ones I was around liked Big Boi more because Andre was doing funny style shyt.

People acting like Andre was always seen as the superior MC universally are on some revisionist history shyt. I lived it. That shyt ain't happen till about 2000.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Bro, Dre getting a Hip Hop quotable does not mean people thought he was better than Big Boi. There's plenty of rappers in groups that got Hip Hop quotable, that didn't necessarily mean that rapper was better than other members of his group. It just meant a Source editor thought that rapper's verse was the most noteworthy from that particular month. And I don't know what decision making process was behind giving both Pos and Dave co credit that one time but why do you believe that has any relevance to who they thought was a better rapper? You trying to say they were implying they both were on the same level MC wise? So when they gave RZA a Hip Hop quotable on a verse he did on a Ghostface track, that meant they thought RZA was the superior MC?

And again...where I'm from n!ggas never was talking about 3K being some superior rapper over Big Boi. And n!ggas definitely wasn't talking about him as a GOAT level MC. I didn't hear none of that talk on the streets, on TV, on print media...anywhere...until Eminem said it.

Bro, these nikkas just making shyt up. Nobody was talking about Andre in some iconic/unfukkwitable light until the last 10 years. During the height of Outkast run, they were just seen as a dope group that put out dope music. Neither one stood above the other. People had their favorites like with anything but it was never universally thought that Andre was better. These nikkas are wilding.