When did the myth that andre 3000 is better than big boi start

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
You probably never heard anybody say it because it didn't need to be said.

Naw. This Hip Hop. MC conversations in the streets, barbershop, in the crib, etc...is always had. If Andre was this monumental God-like MC that some of yall cats claim he is, I would've heard someone say it. Never did until Marshall said it. I been in damn near every neighborhood in NYC and had talks with real Hip Hop heads in those neighborhoods and I never was hearing Dre name come up as a GOAT MC before the Em mention. And anytime Outkast was brought up, I never heard talks about how much better Dre is than Big Boi like how people mention all the time how much better Prodigy was than Havoc when Mobb Deep was talked about.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
I'm waiting for the Juelz Santana > Cam thread.

That should be entertaining.

I also think 3000 makes Nas stans uncomfortable.

Dre has been making Upper East Coast people uncomfortable since '96.

That's why they got boo'd at the Source Awards.

They hate the fact that a nikka from Atlanta is in consideration for GOAT over the 1000's of emcees from that area.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Naw. This Hip Hop. MC conversations in the streets, barbershop, in the crib, etc...is always had. If Andre was this monumental God-like MC that some of yall cats claim he is, I would've heard someone say it. Never did until Marshall said it. I been in damn near every neighborhood in NYC and had talks with real Hip Hop heads in those neighborhoods and I never was hearing Dre name come up as a GOAT MC before the Em mention. And anytime Outkast was brought up, I never heard talks about how much better Dre is than Big Boi like how people mention all the time how much better Prodigy was than Havoc when Mobb Deep was talked about.

I don't know what circles you swing in, but Eminem's name doesn't even come up in any circle I'm involved in.

Dre has always been held in the highest esteem since Atliens dropped, in any credible hip hop conversation,

years before anybody even heard of a gotdamn Eminem.

Not just a bunch of nikkas standing around bumpin their gums cause they got em.

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
I like Big Boi, but nah..... Very good and skilled rapper who occasionally drops some gems. But Andre had the better verse on 80% of their songs and created better hooks as well. He also has way better feature verses as Big Boi as well..

Never really heard people saying that Big Boi was better than Andre

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

These conversations, Andre being better and Andre being one of the best, happened all the time in the South.

Andre, Ceelo, Bun B and Eightball were all debated as the best MCs in the south from their generation.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

I never been to NY so I can't speak on it but Raekwon himself said NY wasn't really fukking with Outkast like that until he did the song with them in '98. If you were listening to 'kast since their debut you were probably an anomaly in NY. Or maybe Rae underestimated their popularity there. :manny:

I'm from the mid west, was a senior in high school when their debut came out and don't remember a single person that put Big Boi above Andre. It wasn't even a topic of conversation.

Fred.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
:dead: You must a started smoking that sh!t @Big Mel smokes.

Outkast has always been hated on by New York hip hop heads.

Especially during their golden era from '94 - '98.

I wonder how many folks in this thread supporting this bullshyt are from the Tri State..

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Outkast has always been hated on by New York hip hop heads.

Especially during their golden era from '94 - '98.

I wonder how many folks in this thread supporting this bullshyt are from the Tri State..

Stop the foolishness. I see yall trying the East Coast bias spin. Facts is just facts. You, or Hex, or any other n!gga in here, post some credible sh!t prior to the Eminem mention that shows that the Hip Hop community thought Dre was much better than Big Boi and was considered some God like MC. Go head...I'll wait.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
I never been to NY so I can't speak on it but Raekwon himself said NY wasn't really fukking with Outkast like that until he did the song with them in '98. If you were listening to 'kast since their debut you were probably an anomaly in NY. Or maybe Rae underestimated their popularity there. :manny:

I'm from the mid west, was a senior in high school when their debut came out and don't remember a single person that put Big Boi above Andre. It wasn't even a topic of conversation.

Fred.

:obama:

I was a sophomore when their debut dropped.

I co-sign this 100% though.

Good to see there's folks up here who actually lived through the times instead of reading them online years later, and can give an unbiased view of how shyt was really seen around the country back then.

:salute:

SouljaVoy

♥ Black Love
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta,GA
I've actually been listening to Outkast since a child.... Like I grew up on Outkast unlike these other fools who started listening like So fresh so clean days, or even worse speakerbox/love below...:usure:

With that being said, it's really up to preference..... But Andre to me is the better rapper.... better delivery, flow, deep lyrics, and more variety.
Every Outkast song, 3stacks verse is usually the preferred verse in the song.. or the one you are waiting on.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Stop the foolishness. I see yall trying the East Coast bias spin. Facts is just facts. You, or Hex, or any other n!gga in here, post some credible sh!t prior to the Eminem mention that shows that the Hip Hop community thought Dre was much better than Big Boi and was considered some God like MC. Go head...I'll wait.

Nope, I'm from the East coast too, just a little further South in VA,

so I can give an unbiased view of how Dre was viewed back in the 90s.

How can something be seen as fact when it's only been considered from one perspective?

I don't have to post anything from before Eminem dropped, to speak on how Dre was viewed.

Somebody already posted that Dre was up for the Source lyricist of the year in '99, and he was a Southern rapper that was part of a group.

Guess that was because of Eminem's cosign too..

I lived through the times breh.

I had the conversations back then.

There's nothing I need to prove.