When did the myth that andre 3000 is better than big boi start

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
So what you're basically saying is the circles you were in [in a borough of NY] thought Big Boi was nicer? Yeah now it makes sense.
No that's not what I said at all. I said nobody was seen better as either one. They were looked at as equals. And I traveled all my life.

AVXL

Laughing at you n*ggaz like “ha ha ha”
Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
Growing up in Atlanta I never really felt compelled to compare them b/c I always saw them as one, but looking at it objectively 3000 was the better lyricist and a more complete and versatile artist. Big Boi is a great artist in his own right, but I always felt 3000 was deeper, story telling was more vivid & introspective. Big Boi was a beast but I'd take 3 Stacks

Black_Panther_JS

Superstar
Daps
Every group has the dude who gets everyone's attention

Outkast - Andre 3000
A Tribe Called Quest - Q-Tip
Mobb Deep - Prodigy

IMO Big Boi is just as good as 3K or slightly worse
then only difference is "3000 was deeper, story telling was more vivid & introspective."
but Big Boi is great, can spit and has a crazy flow, plus his lyrics amuse me

it's like listening to Ice Cube or Mos Def
both great, 1 is just really deep and introspective

3:30

Thread Killer
Daps
Reppin
3:30
Not me. The average, passive, casual rap listener. Why do you think "rappers" like Future, Fetty Wap & Young Thug are so beloved in the mainstream? Its because they have easy to follow flows. Kindergarten, elementary flows. You have to actually pay attention and listen to what Big Boi is spitting.

I was teasing:lolbron:
But I totally get you lol

Champ_KW

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Since Cee-Lo admitted on OutKast's Behind the Music that 3000 wrote Big's lyrics on their first album :yeshrug:

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
For me the question is when did dude even become an excellent rapper...Out of the blue dude was a staple in everybody's top 10...:krs:

People started putting 3000 in the upper echelon of emcees after Atliens, Aquemini solidified it.

FocusedDaily

Chi-town's Hero
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South-side Chi
:jbhmm:

Cause that's definitely not the case, big boi has a better verse lyrically than 3 stacks like on every damn song. Is it the delivery that confuses people?
Nah. I ran thru the first three albums one day specifically looking for when big boy washed 3k in a song. It only happened maybe 3 times. They're pretty even 60-70% of the time. And about 30-40% of the time Dre takes it decidedly.

Kast is the Goat hip hop Duo IMO, it pained me to even play their music looking for bias like that.