When did the myth that andre 3000 is better than big boi start

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Andre:
Our Heavenly Father, why do you even bother watching over me?
Growing up a little G my mother thought I'd grow to be
A lawyer or a doctor, but I felt like coming harder
Packed a shank up in my sock, since I started kindergarten

Big Boy, on the same album:
My n*gga you softer than silicon, used to pump up t*ts

Both equally skilled.

TheColi_zpsbtse4dmh.gif

Fred.

Last edited:

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
:patrice:

I was raised on NY hip-hop so I got love for yall but NY wasn't the most....enlightened....place when it came to rap from other regions in the 90's. Outkast is the same group that got booed by NY in 1995. So these types of conversations might not have been taking place in NY in the 90's, but they were in other regions.

Fred.

Breh, Outkast got booed at the 1995 Source Awards. Just a few short years later even some of the staunchest East Coast boom bap elitists started warming up to Down South rap and was rocking to No Limit and Cash Money records. And still no one was talking about Dre as the much better rapper on Outkast and/or one of the GOATS. That sh!t started around 2000 or so. The only Southern rapper that was getting those type of mentions consistently, pre-2000, was Scarface.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
These are the most insane posts I've ever seen from you. To hate Andre on your own is one things. To just reinvent the entire Outkast narrative to justify it is beyond outrageous.

By far one of the weirdest things on this board is when New York cats start talking about the very music they all fronted on when it first came out, then assume some stance of absolute knowledge of what people really thought about it.

I'm from Harlem, but was in the south playing ball when the first Kast album dropped, and the vast majority of people - as overwhelming as consensus of Q-Tip being better and more creative than Phife - believed Andre was an absolute star; by the second album people viewed him as a genius M.C.; his peers absolutely admired him. Big Boi was cool and pretty dope and had his moments, but he wasn't in Andre's stratosphere, no way, no how.

It seems like most of the "Big Boi was always considered better" almost always comes from New York nikkas, or Nas and Jay stans who try to shyt on every artist anyone mentions as being one of the all time greats out of some weird insecurity. Also, nikka who can't get pat their homophobia and are furious the dude wore weird outfits and had his shirt off a lot and was singing.

The opinion is pretty much insane and completely out of step with history, their verses, their peers, logic, sanity, all of that good shyt.

But y'all carry on. I'll see y'all cats in the "Morris Day Was Actually Better Than Prince" thread.
:manny:
Nah nikka I have fam all thru the south.
ATL especially. I was down there every summer. Funny thing is. When I would say how dope 3K was. nikkas wouldn't stop talkin bout Big Boi. I had a cousin that always fukked wit Big Boi up until like 05. All of a sudden he feels Andre 3K is one of the GOATS. I literally saw the narrative change for that nikka in front of my eyes. nikkas fukked wit both of them. It wasnt seen as one was OVERWHELMINGLY better than the other. It was some people fukked wit 3K more. And some people fukked wit Big Boi more. Simple as that.

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Bro, these nikkas just making shyt up. Nobody was talking about Andre in some iconic/unfukkwitable light until the last 10 years. During the height of Outkast run, they were just seen as a dope group that put out dope music. Neither one stood above the other. People had their favorites like with anything but it was never universally thought that Andre was better. These nikkas are wilding.
Exactly. nikkas ain't tellin me nothin. At one point I used to argue FOR Andre. That's how I know these nikkas is bullshyttin.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Rae is wrong. Bro. Do u know how huge Elevators was in NY? Lol. nikkas fukked wit Kast bro.

This is what I'm talking about though. "Elevators" came out in '96. "Player's Ball" came out in '93.

There's a damn near 3 year window between the two singles.

I never said NY flat out didn't fukk with 'kast. I said they got on board later than the rest of the country, which is where the confusion is coming from. In other regions people were already discussing who was doper.

I don't understand how this wasn't a discussion for Outkast....but it's been a discussion for literally every other rap group in history. People can't wait to argue about who the dopest rapper is.

Fred.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
This is what I'm talking about though. "Elevators" came out in '96. "Player's Ball" came out in '93.

There's a damn near 3 year window between the two singles.

I never said NY flat out didn't fukk with 'kast. I said they got on board later than the rest of the country, which is where the confusion is coming from. In other regions people were already discussing who was doper.

I don't understand how this wasn't a discussion for Outkast....but it's been a discussion for literally every other rap group in history. People can't wait to argue about who the dopest rapper is.

Fred.
Son. People fukked wit Playas Ball and especially Git Up Git Out. I just used Elevators as an example. But check. It wasn't until that album where Andre started really coming into his own in the group. So even if that was the case. I guess we was right on time. Cause NOONE is gonna tell me Andre was this unanimously better emcee on Southernplayalistic. shyt. Cee Lo had one of the best verses on that album at the time.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
During the early days of OutKast around their first two albums, I thought Big Boi had better performances than Dre. His verses are personally more memorable and his flow was a lot more smooth to listen to. I guess, Big Boi was a more entertaining rapper to listen to.

Starting with Aquemini, Andre became the standout rapper. Although Big Boi held his own, Andre's clever poetic lyricism stood out on that album especially. He was musically very versatile too.

Speakerboxxx > TLB

Both very close tho. Both top 15

cosign

R-Typ3

All Star
Daps
Andre:

Big Boy, on some same album:

Both equally skilled.

TheColi_zpsbtse4dmh.gif

Fred.

Big always had them one liners

Doin donuts 'round u suckas like them circle round them titties

Shoulda bailed out but ya throwed the punch/shoulda ate her out but ya packed a lunch/shoulda bought a oz but ya copped a dub

Leave a muthafukka open like a folder he from the dirty so here comes the paranoia

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
By time their 3rd album (Aquemini) dropped Dre had advanced to another level on the mic even though Big Boi was still bringing heat too. But in the beginning they were both looked at as near equals. But the aura of Dre with the weird dressing and whatnot made some put him on a pedestal like it huge gap between them the whole time.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It started when the white man eminem told them 3 stacks was top 5. That's a fact. Check when em said it then check when nikkas started saying it. Em started that bullshyt. nikkas heard massa say it and that bullshyt was stamped in their minds ever since. nikkas defending that bullshyt and even justifying it. Everyone always rocked with big boi more as a rapper until that em shyt:mjpls:

Edit: i see people still avoiding this fact :dead:
Lmao, I noticed this two. You find a single person saying this before Em did.
Let these Coli nikkas tell it though :mjlol: