When did the myth that andre 3000 is better than big boi start

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
By far one of the weirdest things on this board is when New York cats start talking about the very music they all fronted on when it first came out, then assume some stance of absolute knowledge of what people really thought about it.

:salute::salute::salute:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Tell posters from THE MEDIA CAPITAL OF THE WORLD that they have no idea what the Hip Hop community thought of a rapper, brehs :dead:

:patrice:

I was raised on NY hip-hop so I got love for yall but NY wasn't the most....enlightened....place when it came to rap from other regions in the 90's. Outkast is the same group that got booed by NY in 1995. So these types of conversations might not have been taking place in NY in the 90's, but they were in other regions.

Fred.

Flawdaboi

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Tampa
Like I said bro. Real life says otherwise. EVERYBODY was gettin verses from Big Boi. That's who they went to for features. I don't even feel a way about people sayin 3K was better. But to act like Big Boi was some sidekick. Hell nah. That was NEVER a reality while the group was poppin. They both brought different shyt to the table.

Could big being in more features just be that it was easier to get one from him then 3000? I mean shyt it's like pulling teeth for people to get a verse from Dre these days and past

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Bro, these nikkas just making shyt up. Nobody was talking about Andre in some iconic/unfukkwitable light until the last 10 years. During the height of Outkast run, they were just seen as a dope group that put out dope music. Neither one stood above the other. People had their favorites like with anything but it was never universally thought that Andre was better. These nikkas are wilding.

That's just not true breh.

All Outkast, and unbiased, fans were saying that damn near unanimously by the time we heard "Return of the G."

Last edited:
Daps
Bro, these nikkas just making shyt up. Nobody was talking about Andre in some iconic/unfukkwitable light until the last 10 years. During the height of Outkast run, they were just seen as a dope group that put out dope music. Neither one stood above the other. People had their favorites like with anything but it was never universally thought that Andre was better. These nikkas are wilding.

Facts!! it was just OUTKAST back then and that was it

3 stacks didn't become this iconic, elite level, top 5 mc until the allhiphop/sohh days

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Could big being in more features just be that it was easier to get one from him then 3000? I mean shyt it's like pulling teeth for people to get a verse from Dre these days and past

Exactly.

Even when Slick Rick got one from Big, he still said Outkast.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
:patrice:

I was raised on NY hip-hop so I got love for yall but NY wasn't the most....enlightened....place when it came to rap from other regions in the 90's. Outkast is the same group that got booed by NY in 1995. So these types of conversations might not have been taking place in NY in the 90's, but they were in other regions.

Fred.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Flawdaboi

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Tampa
:mjlol: @ lyrical, miracle, spiritual ass stangirls dikksuckin Angay 3K aka Yawndre 3K when Batty Boi aka Boi George is an infinitely better rapper

Angay 3K is such a p*ssy he's shook to release music cuz he knows it'll be compared to the GOAT Hov and he'll lose his metrosexual mystique & be looked at as the talent less, pump faking, moist ass country bumpkin c00n version of Jay Elec he is :mjlol:

shyt, at least Batty Boy's smart enough to never attempt to rap with the GOAT Hov like Angay did when he got demolished on I Do worse than he does IRL by his BM's voodoo p*ssy

anigif_enhanced-buzz-4528-1381155488-21.gif
You're a Fsu fan right???

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
That's just not true breh.

All true Outkast, and unbiased, fans were saying that damn near unanimously by the time we heard "Return of the G."

Yeah that was a legendary verse but that doesn't change what I was saying. I said earlier in the thread that Andre has a higher peak, Big Boi is more consistent. But during their first 4 albums, especially the first 3, they were just Outkast. A dope ass rap group. There wasn't this whole "Andre is the main nikka on the trigger" until the internet. Honestly, back in the day, nikkas had favorites and shyt, but this whole "One was way better than the other" shyt in groups wasn't really talked about like that. A dope rap group was just dope rap group. Every once in a while there's obvious ones like Mobb Deep or The Fugees, where P and Lauryn were clearly better, but most of the time fans just loved the entire group and didn't separate the two

CouldntBeMeTho

Gul DuCat
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dog Shooting Squad Of Islamabad
It started after Em name dropped him in that one song...

Before that everyone in my hood couldnt really fukk with him because of the weird flamboyant clothes.. :ld:

I distinctly remember having arguments trying to defend andre.. I always knew they were dope... But a lotta people couldnt see past that weird shyt.

After that tho, he consistently startred getting put in top ten lists

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Naw. This Hip Hop. MC conversations in the streets, barbershop, in the crib, etc...is always had. If Andre was this monumental God-like MC that some of yall cats claim he is, I would've heard someone say it. Never did until Marshall said it. I been in damn near every neighborhood in NYC and had talks with real Hip Hop heads in those neighborhoods and I never was hearing Dre name come up as a GOAT MC before the Em mention. And anytime Outkast was brought up, I never heard talks about how much better Dre is than Big Boi like how people mention all the time how much better Prodigy was than Havoc when Mobb Deep was talked about.
U know what it is bro. nikkas could try to switch it up all they want but nikkas who old enough know better.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
I never been to NY so I can't speak on it but Raekwon himself said NY wasn't really fukking with Outkast like that until he did the song with them in '98. If you were listening to 'kast since their debut you were probably an anomaly in NY. Or maybe Rae underestimated their popularity there. :manny:

I'm from the mid west, was a senior in high school when their debut came out and don't remember a single person that put Big Boi above Andre. It wasn't even a topic of conversation.

Fred.
Rae is wrong. Bro. Do u know how huge Elevators was in NY? Lol. nikkas fukked wit Kast bro.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
There's exceptions to every rule breh.

NYC has millions and millions of folks. I'd be an idiot to think that every single person listened to the same shyt and had the exact same thoughts on music.

I'm speaking generally.

And respect to Diamond D, but I'd much rather hear Organized Noize's version
U not from here bruh. How u gonna tell NY cats what they was listening to? People fukked wit Kast.