When CACs didn't have black people to steal Rock music from, it died in less than 30 years

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Thinking rock music is dead is wishful thinking :mjlol:

Don't be deceived by what's in your urban bubble brehs.

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thinking rock music is dead is wishful thinking :mjlol:

Don't be deceived by what's in your urban bubble brehs.
name one rock band in the billboard top 10, as of today.

for reference, this is the top 100. twenty years ago in 2002; almost half of the top 10 are rock bands.

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
Well, I wish young black folks have discipline to do more than rap and autotune rnb these days, just that other artforms can be enhanced immensely by young black talent.
We have to go back to a culture of patience for that. We reach way too damn hard for prodigies in this genre and wonder why it’s so immature

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
Glam rock hairbands died, but that shyt was 80% image anyway. You still had hard bands like Metallica and Sound Garden around. Not sure we all agree on what “rock” is though.
It really is an umbrella term. For every Motley Crue, you have The Mars Volta

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Decent run from the 80s to 2000s.

Glam rock and metal in the 80s, grunge in the 90s, emo in the 00s and then it died before we even hit 2020. all while hip hop and rap were exploding in the same time line

before that there was a solid 30 years of stealing music from black folks from the 40s to 70s.

if i'm wrong, prove it :ehh:
I don't watch mtv or vh1 anymore so I have no idea what rock groups are even out, most white people I know listen to some form of urban music if not that then straight cac shyt like Taylor Swift. If they do listen to rock it's 60s-90s shyt (beatles, the who, led zeppelin, pink floyd, etc.)

*Edit A LOT of white people going back to country it looks like.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Hip Hop might be on that path...

we better bring R&B/funk music back for a safety net
this not happening no time soon, decrease in quality and more non-blacks maybe but Hip Hop not dying out.

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
Did You peep the Cobain House?
MoPOP | Museum of Pop Culture in Seattle Washington

Andrew-Wood-statue-at-Museum-of-Pop-Culture-Seattle-1600x900.jpg

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
I think a major reason is that rock is no longer subversive or edgy. The music that drives rebellion and controversy today is rap, and has been for quite some time. Think about the singular rock stars who not only drive controversy in the 90s, but were also pushed music forward. Axel Rose, Kurt Cobain, Billy Corgan, Eddie Vedder, Liam Gallagher, etc. By the 2000s we had nu metal which was wack but at least had rock stars. Once you get past 2005 or so where are the guys who were clearly That Guy, whether you fukked with the music or not? Compared to rap where suddenly Kanye, Wayne, Jay, Jeezy, TI, Drake, Kendrick, Travis, Uzi, etc etc were suddenly cooler or bigger or more controversial or more important etc than anything rock was producing.

Also the lack of a "great rock band." I couldn't even tell you who the biggest (active) rock band is today, not counting legends. I remember when Foo Fighters were that band for instance. They're still big now but like...who came after them and became that band? I have no idea.
To add on, Playboi Carti, WTT and Yeezus era Kanye, Lil Uzi, Asap Rocky and Ferg, Travis Scott have concerts that are similar in feel to what old school rock was about with the mosh pits

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
that was my point homie

:blessed:

oasis are awful tho. shyt is like beatles fanfiction

second sentence was on point.. that nickelback shyt was horrible. and that cac with the ramen noodle hair

NickelBackHEader.jpeg
them and creed made rock music commercial

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
I don't watch mtv or vh1 anymore so I have no idea what rock groups are even out, most white people I know listen to some form of urban music if not that then straight cac shyt like Taylor Swift. If they do listen to rock it's 60s-90s shyt (beatles, the who, led zeppelin, pink floyd, etc.)

*Edit A LOT of white people going back to country it looks like.
I have a younger white neighbor. He was big into current white bands always talking about these emo sounding groups but they have good sized crowds on tour.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
I miss white people having their own music and being ignorant to mine.
this is another thing, unless they are a staunch racist you have white folk who listen to kenny chesny and travis scott, most white folk even in the 50s were ignorant to a lot of black music unless they were outcasts or had to sneak to enjoy it.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Once Rock N' Roll couldn't just keep biting R&B to stay alive.
It fukking torpedoed itself out of popularity.

They tried to bite Hip-Hop but it's so radically different from Rock
in certain ways that it's very difficult to just COPY outright.

that may have something to do with arts getting zero funding in schools. kids don't have band/music class past primary school

a lot of the best bands of the 20th century met through school and already knew an instrument as teens. kids now have to learn that outside of school and it can be very expensive
Expensive and difficult.
Another part is musicians aren’t joining together to make a band. When I read stories or listen to interviews with folks like Babyface, nikkas been in like 5, 6 before really popping. That’s R&B. R&B was supplemented by synthesizers so a band isn’t necessary. You’re not Rock without a band of musicians and I just don’t think bands are forming anymore.
Bands aren't forming because of the expense and difficulty.
A lot of scenes back in the day were facilitated by being apart of a scene
where everyone was near each other and could make music together.

A lot of "rock bands" these days are often ONE MAN projects.
That's essentially what I do even though I'm not in a "Rock" band.
I do all of the writing, arranging and tracking because finding band members
and working with people is way difficult in 2022.

Last edited: