When CACs didn't have black people to steal Rock music from, it died in less than 30 years

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think it fell off largely because rock fans got too uppity to except a crossover transition. I remember groups like Nickleback and Limp Biskit getting all types of hate even though they seemed to be the most popular.
Hiphop almost did that by hating on rappers that sing, like Ja Rule, before finally embracing them.
Underrated post

Rock gatekeepers are just as bad if not worse than Rap gatekeepers:russ:

A few months ago when Stranger Things used Master Of Puppets Metallica fans were beating new nikkas away with sticks:mjlol:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Once Rock N' Roll couldn't just keep biting R&B to stay alive.
It fukking torpedoed itself out of popularity.
Yea biting R&B appears to be the cheat code. There's a thread on here that alludes to a similar sentiment

The current most egregious form of biting R&B is K-Pop and we see how enormous that shyt is

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
name one rock band in the billboard top 10, as of today.

for reference, this is the top 100. twenty years ago in 2002; almost half of the top 10 are rock bands.

Rating the health of a music genre by it's presence in a top 100 list is asinine. Next you'll tell me Jazz is dead as well.

The rock scene is incredibly fragmented (which means the odds of seeing 1 band get mainstream attention is miniscule) but there is a huge demand for the genre on aggregate.

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Rating the health of a music genre by it's presence in a top 100 list is asinine. Next you'll tell me Jazz is dead as well.

The rock scene is incredibly fragmented (which means the odds of seeing 1 band get mainstream attention is miniscule) but there is a huge demand for the genre on aggregate.
when we say things are dead, we do not mean it literally; i cant believe i even have to explain that.

disco is not dead, glam rock is not dead, jazz is not dead. they are just not as ubiquitous as they once were. when i say rock is dead, i mean its lost its ubiquity.

dont be obtuse and answer my question: name one rock band in the top 10.

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
like I said, they made it commercial, everything about what made rock, rock got commercialized worst than hair metal.

Got zero issue with folks selling records. Vedder, etc all sold records but made GOOD music. Those two groups were AWFUL

Daps
Decent run from the 80s to 2000s.

Glam rock and metal in the 80s, grunge in the 90s, emo in the 00s and then it died before we even hit 2020. all while hip hop and rap were exploding in the same time line

before that there was a solid 30 years of stealing music from black folks from the 40s to 70s.

if i'm wrong, prove it :ehh:

Wow you’re right :ohhh:

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
And 2 of the greatest guitarist from the end of Rock’s cac phase were half brehs…

Tom Morello and Slash.

*timestamped

D4-E1-F9-E8-AADF-4-B67-A4-D4-9-B37093-B4-FC6.jpg

37-E70-AC7-1-F6-C-47-F8-A894-3860-D6-ECBA0-D.jpg

No Vernon Reid? :ufdup:

ETA: notice you said half brehs. Vernon is full!

Sindicated

Knowledge is the Greatest gift
Daps
Reppin
opus dei
Red Hot fukkin Chili Peppers breh:ufdup:

Digging into the afformentioneds Stuff for the first time is GOATed but Blood Sugar Sex Magik kills alla those(yes it includes Nevermind)

edit:id also add Hole and Nine Inch Nails
HELLLLL NAH and i fukk with Red Hot Chili Peppers.

But Dirt by Alice in Chains is the perfect grunge album no skips and ive been listening to songs from the album everyday the last few weeks, it had the ballads, the love songs, the doped up hopeless shyt, the hard shyt everything you can want in a grunge album.

Ku$h Parker

I'm Nothin Correctable
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Prime Minister of S.B. Westside

But Dirt by Alice in Chains is the perfect grunge album no skips and ive been listening to songs from the album everyday the last few weeks, it had the ballads, the love songs, the doped up hopeless shyt, the hard shyt everything you can want in a grunge album.

Would? is Fire and :mjcry: as fukk

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps

Angry Chair is a classic.

Cloutius Maximus

with the aid of the Funk...
Daps
Reppin
Altadena, California
I feel like there are economic reasons for this too. I think the Black Keys alluded to it when they went on Joe Rogan. Most of the great bands of the 20th century were WORKING CLASS. The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Joy Division, The Smiths, Nirvana, I can keep going. Even the artsy fartsy bands like Talking Heads came up at a time when art school was relatively cheap.

You need at least 2 people with instruments, a home to practice in/hone your talents and a local music scene to come up in. Music has been gutted from public schools and rich people don't send their kids to 20k a year private schools so they can start a rock band. The current economic paradigm favors solo artists: hip-hop producers, bedroom pop artists, ambient/drone, house music/EDM, singer/songwriter (aka sad white girls with guitars), etc.

K-Pop groups only exist because money is deliberately poured into them There's a reason why the UK (a country that still puts money into the arts) has a thriving post-punk and jazz scene while the U.S rock scene fell off.