Whats your excuse for not learning how to swim?

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
lol, not a stereotype... I have no male friends that can swim. There are black people that can swim, but especially in urban communities... it's very few.

most black girls I know really claim to be scared of water or swimming. I'm not sure why. Some bish tried to tell me it was because of slave ships... I don't believe that.
shyt might just be a cultural thing :yeshrug:

AITheAnswerAI

Ethereous one
Supporter
Daps
Apparently I fell into the deep end of a pool when I was like 5. My dad jumped in and saved me, but when he tried to teach me afterwards, he couldn't. Apparently I was too scared to learn, accordng to him. He tried and failed, and I eneded up looking like a fool every time I was at the pool later in life. :wow:

ltheghost

Payin Debts.... N40
Daps
Reppin
Japan, but from the 989
My dad taught me to swim since I was 6 years old. Then put me in YMCA classes to learn more. I never understood anyone not knowing how to swim when the planet is covered 85% with water.

LebronsHairline

AKA Chief Green Leaf
Daps
Reppin
NULL
ive heard of that technique as well, my main thing is keeping my chest out and letting my feet sink but yeah swimming has kept me at a good size, also i swim in springs (which are naturally 70 degrees all year round in these parts) keeps my metabolism up.

Werd i've been hearing about those types of places(springs) been tryna hit one up for the longest time

Seea

rill rill
Daps
Reppin
Nope.
Shallow reasons; that'll change over time most likely. I can float though.

M617

retired
Supporter
Daps
mind blown at not being able to swim. its like a natural reflex wtf. its so easy i dont get how you cant swim even if you are pancaking literally all you do is move your arms and legs around

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA
I can tread water and everything but as far as going underwater :merchant:

I'm scared af :sadcam:

Ronald McDonald

Even in the darkest nights, I'm a MAC for life
Daps
taught my self how to swim

used to go to the pool and only be able to swim underwater and with my eyes open :wtf:

SiickCurllyGurl

Sophomore
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I don't remember learning.. i just did....

Edit: Underwater swimming is the best especially when your'e close to the floor :ohlawd:. I use to be able to hold my breath for like 2 minutes ... i haven't been swimming in awhile :scusthov:

Last edited:

Constantine

Et in Arcadia ego...
Daps
Reppin
The "BUCKEYE" Nation
One of the biggest deteminants of whether someone learns how to swim or not is if their parents learned how to swim. For blacks who lived in the south during segregation, they couldn't go to the local pool to swim. When they moved up north, pools were segregated as well, and hence they couldn't teach their kids to swim. This is controversial, but one reason why black girls don't swim is because their mothers won't let them because it'll mess their hair up. One reason why black boys don't know how to swim is because during the summer their parents will put some of them in sports camps, or they practice for the fall.
http://www.essence.com/2010/07/20/why-black-women-dont-swim/
http://www.wnyc.org/articles/wnyc-n...-curls-why-many-black-women-wont-go-swimming/
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103022236