What’s wrong with medium-well or well-done steak?

Krazy K

All Star
Daps
Any restaurant really. There is really no reason to waste your quality steaks on some retarded person who orders it well done. I served in a somewhat upscale restaurant and the chefs would laugh whenever someone ordered their shyt well done. In fact everyone would laugh lol.
:dahell: how is ordering a well done steak retarded? And who gives a fukk if some kitchen staff nikka finds it funny just cook the fukkinsteak the way the customer wants . What upscale restaurant is going to fukk food up on purpose and ruin their reputation because some people like well done? That would be retarded

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
:dahell: how is ordering a well done steak retarded? And who gives a fukk if some kitchen staff nikka finds it funny just cook the fukkinsteak the way the customer wants . What upscale restaurant is going to fukk food up on purpose and ruin their reputation because some people like well done? That would be retarded

From an Executive Chef

"Not refuse but strongly advise and it’s not a matter of ego. It’s basic economics. Suppose my cost on a steak is $15? To survive I need to average an industry standard food cost of 30%. I need to charge $45 for that steak, right? Add veggies and a starch, bread basket and butter chips and now I need to charge about $50.

Some jackass orders the steak well done and doesn’t like it. He complains it’s dry and chewy. Trust me, this actually happens. I didn’t lose $15 on that transaction. I lost $50 on that transaction. If my cost is let’s say $18 between the steak, bread, veggies and starch, how many steak dinners must I sell to recover from the moron? At least three.

So I or the waiter will strongly advise you to order your steak no more than MW. If you insist on WD we will not be responsible for complaints on toughness or dryness. Most people will select MW given that context"

And another viewpoint

"This is why “the customer is always right” not correct 100% of the time.

As a culinary professional, you would know by experience how to serve the dish properly and how to ruin it. It’s basically ensuring integrity of your product 100% of the time. It all have to do with practicality.

Let’s say your customer wants his steak well-done. You cooked it as he wanted. The steak came out dry and rubbery. Next thing he’ll do is either complain or put a word out your steak, while top of the class, is not better than his hometown steak. Of course it’s not better, it was cooked badly. If you have a $100 cooked badly, it’s not better than the run off the mill $10 steak. You’d potentially ruin your name and serve an inferior product just because your customer wants it.

What you do is politely tell the customer that serving it well done will ruin your steak. If he still insists, you can politely tell him that the Mcdonalds is just right in the next block.

This is practically same as any other line of work or service. You either serve it the best way you know or not do it at all"

Krazy K

All Star
Daps
From an Executive Chef

"Not refuse but strongly advise and it’s not a matter of ego. It’s basic economics. Suppose my cost on a steak is $15? To survive I need to average an industry standard food cost of 30%. I need to charge $45 for that steak, right? Add veggies and a starch, bread basket and butter chips and now I need to charge about $50.

Some jackass orders the steak well done and doesn’t like it. He complains it’s dry and chewy. Trust me, this actually happens. I didn’t lose $15 on that transaction. I lost $50 on that transaction. If my cost is let’s say $18 between the steak, bread, veggies and starch, how many steak dinners must I sell to recover from the moron? At least three.

So I or the waiter will strongly advise you to order your steak no more than MW. If you insist on WD we will not be responsible for complaints on toughness or dryness. Most people will select MW given that context"

And another viewpoint

"This is why “the customer is always right” not correct 100% of the time.

As a culinary professional, you would know by experience how to serve the dish properly and how to ruin it. It’s basically ensuring integrity of your product 100% of the time. It all have to do with practicality.

Let’s say your customer wants his steak well-done. You cooked it as he wanted. The steak came out dry and rubbery. Next thing he’ll do is either complain or put a word out your steak, while top of the class, is not better than his hometown steak. Of course it’s not better, it was cooked badly. If you have a $100 cooked badly, it’s not better than the run off the mill $10 steak. You’d potentially ruin your name and serve an inferior product just because your customer wants it.

What you do is politely tell the customer that serving it well done will ruin your steak. If he still insists, you can politely tell him that the Mcdonalds is just right in the next block.

This is practically same as any other line of work or service. You either serve it the best way you know or not do it at all"
This guy is a terrible chef if he can't cook a well done steak without it coming out the way he described. If I was the owner and he told a customer go to McDonald's I'd fire him.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
This guy is a terrible chef if he can't cook a well done steak without it coming out the way he described. If I was the owner and he told a customer go to McDonald's I'd fire him.

:mindblown: WTF the entire point is STEAK ISNT SUPPOSE TO BE WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You missed out in Buenos Aires. Those Argentines do know thier way around a b good steak.

I was getting it medium rare.

I ain't been to Argentina but I had steaks in an Argentine restaurant in Spain that shyt was :ohlawd:

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Order well done in a restaurant and the chef will pull up on you like

giphy.gif

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Medium is fine with me - you can throw a meat thermometer in and be cool.

I'm not a big rare-steak guy - though when I tried wagyu I definitely had it medium-rare.

If its well seasoned and rests properly, medium-well is fine.

Sex Luthor

I'm like kryptonite to these thots
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
It's done to people that eat well done steaks bc it's a waste of money. I've worked grill or broiler most of my adult life and steak houses take their steaks that serious. In most they make more than enough money to do this. It's a reason they only open for dinner. Charge $12 for a baked potato and you can afford to turn a few people away

Sex Luthor

I'm like kryptonite to these thots
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
It's the right thought process tho. If you're cooking a fillet or strip it'll come out dry and rubbery bc they're the leanest cuts. A ribeye well done will be 100 times juicier bc of the fat content. It's not always the cook

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
It's the right thought process tho. If you're cooking a fillet or strip it'll come out dry and rubbery bc they're the leanest cuts. A ribeye well done will be 100 times juicier bc of the fat content. It's not always the cook

I can confirm. The determining factor for optimal level of done-ness would be the cut and it's thickness. Took me a gooood while to nail down all the various steak cuts.