"What's the 'most work' Black Americans put in towards the Pan African movement?" -generic-username

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Queen, I expected an answer like this. I wish you & the good brother @IllmaticDelta luck on your beliefs. #ItsA2018Lineage

And we expected the gaslighting. Thanks :smile:

And just so you know.

My Transition? The earliest ancestor from Africa I have found so far is 1709 - one of my 5th Great Grandfathers - his daughter is one of my 4th Great Grannie - Grandma May -- who was born in 1792 in Alabama.

Her granddaughter is my 2nd Great Grannie Mandy. :smile:

763bbc11-1058-4d85-84cf-db4345e2e65e

ee2e52a8-b8ed-4c95-a738-2066323d35b9

My 2nd Great Grandparents -- my Great Grannie Molly is one of the children. She had my Grandfather - my mom's daddy.

I digress....

Of course, my ancestors came from Central, West and North Africa - and were made up of many ethnic/tribes/countries - so when they were forced through the Middle Passage - and had to drop the tribalism - and forced to just be Black and enslaved. They became their own people. Cultivated their own cultures, customs and practices. Their own ethnic group.

We are of African descent. I am not from one African country - no ADOS is. I am proud to be of African descent -- but I am also proud to be an ADOS.

With the backlash of Yvette - people calling her white and bi-racial -- I am not sure many ADOS ancestors would be considered "African" anyway. Even though it wasn't their fault for being violated and enslaved.

Many were generations removed from Africa and/or having an recent African ancestors.

@IllmaticDelta Do you still have that graph showing our enslaved ancestors and how many generations they were removed from Africa. It showcased how many were born here.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Aframs and that pan-africanist spirit:banderas:

Dr. Michael Johnson is an African American missionary surgeon, who served in Kenya with his wife Kay, from about 1990 until 2011. While continuing orphan care in Kenya

The Johnsons were made to be a peculiar couple, called by a marvelous God. Dr.’s Michael and Kay Johnson have been involved in overseas missionary work since 1984. They were accepted to full time work with World Gospel Mission in 1989. Their ministry has taken them to several sites in Africa, including The Sudan, The Democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly Zaire), Ethiopia, Uganda; Kenya where they worked for 20 years, and short term work in Haiti.

Their work in Kenya included working in mission hospitals (Tenwek, Kijabe and St. Mary’s), where Michael functioned as surgeon, and Kay’s responsibilities included administration and finance. God gave them the ministries of The Least of These, and A Prepared Place allowing them to work with a variety of indigenous Kenyan organizations. That work included providing food, clothing, and education and in-country adoption services for orphans. They were able to help build self-sustainable sources of food and water for rural populations.

A Peculiar Couple – Those Peculiar Johnsons

Dr_M_Johnson.jpg

eBLv9sJ.jpg

ATownD19

The Black King You Love To Hate
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Universe
And we expected the gaslighting. Thanks :smile:

And just so you know.

My Transition? The earliest ancestor from Africa I have found so far is 1709 - one of my 5th Great Grandfathers - his daughter is one of my 4th Great Grannie - Grandma May -- who was born in 1792 in Alabama.

Her granddaughter is my 2nd Great Grannie Mandy. :smile:

763bbc11-1058-4d85-84cf-db4345e2e65e

ee2e52a8-b8ed-4c95-a738-2066323d35b9

My 2nd Great Grandparents -- my Great Grannie Molly is one of the children. She had my Grandfather - my mom's daddy.

I digress....

Of course, my ancestors came from Central, West and North Africa - and were made up of many ethnic/tribes/countries - so when they were forced through the Middle Passage - and had to drop the tribalism - and forced to just be Black and enslaved. They became their own people. Cultivated their own cultures, customs and practices. Their own ethnic group.

We are of African descent. I am not from one African country - no ADOS is. I am proud to be of African descent -- but I am also proud to be an ADOS.

With the backlash of Yvette - people calling her white and bi-racial -- I am not sure many ADOS ancestors would be considered "African" anyway. Even though it wasn't their fault for being violated and enslaved.

Many were generations removed from Africa and/or having an recent African ancestors.

@IllmaticDelta Do you still have that graph showing our enslaved ancestors and how many generations they were removed from Africa. It showcased how many were born here.

Based on the information you've provided, wouldn't it make more sense to identify as an "African" instead of "Decendent of SLAVES" ?!?!

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Based on the information you've provided, wouldn't it make more sense to identify as an "African" instead of "Decendent of SLAVES" ?!?!

I am the descendant of beautiful people who were once enslaved in this country. Generations later they freed themselves by fighting for the USCT and/or runaway and flourished even more.

I am very proud of them and will continue to honor them and remember I am who I am -- and where I am - because they had to endure such an experience.

I am not ashamed they were enslaved. It's not my shame or their shame to hold. It's those who sold them and those who enslaved them.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

this?

this was/is a kentucky census that covered as far late as 1880.

Z2AWs56.png

ATownD19

The Black King You Love To Hate
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Universe
I am the descendant of beautiful people who were once enslaved in this country. Generations later they freed themselves by fighting for the USCT and/or runaway and flourished even more.

I am very proud of them and will continue to honor them and remember I am who I am -- and where I am - because they had to endure such an experience.

I am not ashamed they were enslaved. It's not my shame or their shame to hold. It's those who sold them and those who enslaved them.

Says the person who stated they wouldn't move to Africa even if you were paid $50 million dollars. :pachaha:

You're an internet troll dede. Why don't you stop this charade beloved?

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Says the person who stated they wouldn't move to Africa even if you were paid $50 million dollars. :pachaha:

You're an internet troll dede. Why don't you stop this charade beloved?

What are you trying to say? Nothing is trolling about that. I am sorry that I am proud to be Black American. My home is here. That doesn't make me anti-African, anti-Africa - or anything else. Nor that I'm not proud of being of African descent.

That makes proud of who I am and who I descend from.

Seek therapy. :smile: I'm done -- cause this is the Root - and I don't want to mess up @IllmaticDelta thread.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Im saying flat out; AfroAmericans are the pioneers of the triangular-based Pan-African movement

the promotion of a pan-africanist agenda which can include things such as:

1.civil rights of black people
2. education of black people
3. black consciousness
4. black pride
5. the studying and promotion of global "afro" history
6. "black" identity
7. the helping out of your fellow "blacks" even when they're from another country/ethic group

some context as to why the afram "black" identity concept is/was important for global Pan-Africanism. First: A Nigerian

Chimamanda-Ngozi-Adichie.jpg

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: “Brazil has a race problem, black people don’t have access to positions of power”

In an interview with Marie Claire, the Nigerian writer analyzes the institutionalized racism in Brazil and reflects on the turn to the right: “It is important to remember that Brazil is a country of immigrants. If we had that same rhetoric [of prejudice] before, the president of the country would probably not even be there.”

Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, one of today’s leading feminists and thinkers, is on the cover and on the pages of Marie Claire’s special anniversary edition.

Behind the scenes, Chimamanda chatted with us about the evolution of her works. “I learned by reading stories that all humans are flawed. We are not perfect and we don’t have to be,” she points out.

“I didn’t know I was black until I went to the United States. I didn’t understand myself as black because in Nigeria everyone is black,” she says, reflecting on the racism she suffered when she arrived on another continent. This, too, made her understand how being black was more than skin color, but a political identity.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: "Brazil has a race problem, black people don't have access to positions of power" - Black Women Of Brazil

you didn't know you were black?

giphy.gif

from a South African:

Panashe-Chigumadzi-Ake-Festival-2016-Deju-Akinpelu-.jpg

Why I’m no longer talking to Nigerians about race.

I had something of this regional “experience gap” in mind when I gate crashed the Aké panel, which began as I expected: How can we as Africans be concerned about Black Lives Matter in the United States when we were not looking after our own in our countries? What are African Americans saying about the Chibok girls? While some of these rhetorical questions contained valid concerns, they were undermined by the generally dismissive and flippant tone towards the subject of race and blackness that I’ve come to expect from many Africans who did not grow up in “former” settler colonies. Fortunately, Kinna Likamini, who had also lived in Zimbabwe and the United States, was able to make the global and historical links of black people within the context of global white supremacy.

A lack of a direct experience of another’s pain is not the basis for dismissal, it is an opportunity to demonstrate empathy and, more importantly, solidarity.
How can we have any meaningful pan-African, and indeed any other kind of, solidarity if we lack empathy for those whose experiences we do not share? Where would the world be if sharing a common experience was the first requirement for supporting another’s struggle? The irony which seems to be lost on Nigerians who choose to dismiss the struggles of their black sisters is that their country has a long tradition of supporting the struggle for liberation in Southern Africa’s minority white settler regimes

When we talk of solidarity politics we must ask ourselves: What happens when we find ourselves as visitors to the houses of our brothers and sisters? What if we find ourselves permanent adoptees in their homes? How do we behave in our adoptive homes? How then do we respond to the fire in our sisters’ homes? When we do criticize our sisters do we do so out of love or out of contempt? A deep sense of empathy or superior dismissiveness?

The answer is critical.

Of late I think much about these questions, questions of racial and political solidarity, because I’ve recently moved to America and often have to remind myself that this is not my mother’s house. There are things I do not quite understand and must learn about this country. This is despite the fact that it’s a country I’ve always felt quite familiar and comfortable with as I shared in the long-held kinship and solidarity ties between black South Africans and African Americans. From Charlotte Maxeke and WEB Du Bois; Pixley ka Isaka Seme and Alain Locke; Es’kia Mphahlele and Langston Hughes; Miriam Makeba and Sarah Vaughan; Hugh Masekela and Miles Davis; Lewis Nkosi and James Baldwin to Keorapetse Kgositsile and Gwendolyn Brooks; Bessie Head and Toni Morrison; and Ellen Kuzwayo and Audre Lorde, black South Africans and African Americans have always had a way of understanding each other and helping each other through it despite coming up in different homes. When I was a teen developing my political consciousness, Biko’s I Write What I Like I read alongside The Autobiography of Malcolm X, Matlwa’s Coconut alongside Angelous’s I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Dangarembga’s Nervous Conditions with Morrison’s The Bluest Eye.

Unlike many Africans Coming to America, I have been black for as long as I can remember. I was black long before I came here. I did not need America to know that I am black. For this reason I often feel I relate far more easily to African-Americans than I do to my African sisters. Indeed, I’ve long stopped reading a certain type of African immigrant essay. It usually begins with, or includes the assertion that, “the first time I knew I was black was when I arrived in [insert Western country]”. It’s a favorite essay topic for liberal publications interviewing non-American black people. This essay “genre” would be useful if it were an entry point into a deconstruction of the fallacy of race as biological fact, but all too often all this simply ends in an exposition of what will become life-long indignation that the author could possibly be degraded to the status of black and rarely leads them to develop a broader politics of racial solidarity.

What is perhaps most frustrating about these Africans writing of their sudden awakening to the fact of their blackness is that they rarely fail to reflect on the crucial fact that their racialization as black people did not occur in the moment of (varying degrees of) voluntary migration to the West in the last few decades but centuries ago when the first Africans were forcibly taken to the New World as enslaved people

Why I’m no longer talking to Nigerians about race.

....without it you get people who are of the same race but don't care about the well being of others simply because they aren't of the same "tribe". This has been put to test within the USA many times

CIeL9oj.jpg

x9p2Jw6.jpg

Swahili P'Bitek

Absorbingpovertywithoutlimitations
Daps
Reppin
Mtaani
Anybody who asks such a question is not worthy of a debate in my opinion. The truth is, some actions of pan africanism were committed independently due to experience while some were not.Kwame Nkrumah was for instance very much influenced by Afro-Americans, while some freedom fighters who consolidated various ethnic groups to fight against european domination were influenced by their experiences in the world wars + injustices at home. This too is pan-africanism.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Anybody who asks such a question is not worthy of a debate in my opinion. The truth is, some actions of pan africanism were committed independently due to experience while some were not.Kwame Nkrumah was for instance very much influenced by Afro-Americans, while some freedom fighters who consolidated various ethnic groups to fight against european domination were influenced by their experiences in the world wars + injustices at home. This too is pan-africanism.

You're right, that is a form of Pan-Continental Africanism but not of the Triangular type. Modern Pan-Africanism is based on the triangular relations/connections of the entire afro-diaspora.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@IllmaticDelta

I'm going to cosign what Rhakim expressed earlier in this thread. That this thread has good information, but is this an Internet version of a D-measuring contest?

The trolls, and people's reaction to trolls has taken over TLR and has spread to other parts of the forum.
Person dismissing the role of African Americans in the history of Pan Africanism is either uninformed or trolling, or a combination of both.
If they are actually uninformed, then they could easily be corrected.

In your decision to correct/inform the person who made the dismissive comments, you might be indirectly doing what he did....that is, dismissing the roles of other groups in the history of Pan Africanism.

The thread came up, and was linked, in a recent Talib Kweli thread. I brought up the antecedents to what was being cited as the "start" of Pan Africanism, and it was ignored.

• President of Haiti,Petion, giving support to Simon Bolivar in 1816 in the form of supplies, weapons and soldiers on the CONDITION that Bolivar abolish slavery and free the enslaved in the territories that he was able to free from the Spanish Empire.
I said that BEFORE this occured that.......
  • Maroon societies across the diaspora being established and freeing/harboring enslaved Africans on the outskirts of their compounds.
  • Free Africans across the diaspora organizing and freeing / harboring enslaved Africans in their colonies and fighting against the institution of slavery.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@IllmaticDelta

I'm going to cosign what Rhakim expressed earlier in this thread. That this thread has good information, but is this an Internet version of a D-measuring contest?

Im just stating facts because lies/opinions like the ones I highlighted at the start of this thread have been going on too long without being seriously checked

The trolls, and people's reaction to trolls has taken over TLR and has spread to other parts of the forum.
Person dismissing the role of African Americans in the history of Pan Africanism is either uninformed or trolling, or a combination of both.

It's a combo of both

If they are actually uninformed, then they could easily be corrected.

true...and that's what this thread will do

In your decision to correct/inform the person who made the dismissive comments, you might be indirectly doing what he did....that is, dismissing the roles of other groups in the history of Pan Africanism.

I never said other groups didn't partake in forms of Pan-Africanism; Im just making it clear that Aframs are the founders of it's modern triangular form, where the entire african diaspora falls under ONE people (black) and that they have showed the most pan-africanist spirit; domestically and internationally

The thread came up, and was linked, in a recent Talib Kweli thread. I brought up the antecedents to what was being cited as the "start" of Pan Africanism, and it was ignored.

• President of Haiti,Petion, giving support to Simon Bolivar in 1816 in the form of supplies, weapons and soldiers on the CONDITION that Bolivar abolish slavery and free the enslaved in the territories that he was able to free from the Spanish Empire.
I said that BEFORE this occured that.......
  • Maroon societies across the diaspora being established and freeing/harboring enslaved Africans on the outskirts of their compounds.
  • Free Africans across the diaspora organizing and freeing / harboring enslaved Africans in their colonies and fighting against the institution of slavery.

again, these ARE NOT involved with TRIANGULAR (modern pan-africanism) concerns of the afro-atlantic on the whole (USA mainland + rest of the Americas + Africa)

Last edited: