What's The Dirt - Drake's Family Matters Diss Actually Explained

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Basically Drake shot himself in the foot twice by refusing to address Kendrick one on one. I'm not saying Drake shouldn't have addressed others, but someone should have played the end of Takeover for him: "yall only get one bar, fukk yall nikkas." He hit Metro with a one bar nuke and then did the exact opposite to Ross, ASAP, etc. Those Weeknd bars damn near sounded like a lover's quarrel. That shyt was wack.

That's why Family Matters, while good, isn't nearly as impressive to me as you guys make it out to be. The only diss where Drake focused on Kendrick 100% was Heart 6, which I'd imagine everyone agrees is the wackest song of the entire battle. If this was sports...that would be an ugly ass stat line lol.
But on Takeover Jay goes at Prodigy on the 2nd verse. Some of the greatest diss tracks ever have multiple targets. And no I don’t agree with the Heart pt 6 being wack. He made clear mistakes that prevent it from being great but it’s solid. Once again, he’s flipping shyt back at Kendrick. He was efficient in doing that the entire battle. Kendrick surrendered the chance to do that cause of using pre recorded amo. Which was a phenomenal strategy to win the crowd. Especially dropping MTG immediately after FM. But doing so prevented the chance to flip. That’s a big reason I love Euphoria as his best diss. Cause on there he was directly responding to Push ups

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
But on Takeover Jay goes at Prodigy on the 2nd verse. Some of the greatest diss tracks ever have multiple targets. And no I don’t agree with the Heart pt 6 being wack. He made clear mistakes that prevent it from being great but it’s solid. Once again, he’s flipping shyt back at Kendrick. He was efficient in doing that the entire battle. Kendrick surrendered the chance to do that cause of using pre recorded amo. Which was a phenomenal strategy to win the crowd. Especially dropping MTG immediately after FM. But doing so prevented the chance to flip. That’s a big reason I love Euphoria as his best diss. Cause on there he was directly responding to Push ups
I will never understand how anyone can criticize Drake for going after everybody on Family Matters. It's on the record that all these guys planned to gang up on Drake and it wasn't a bunch of nobodies like Jayo Felony. They warranted a response and Drake buried them one by one.

After the fact, everyone can talk about Kendrick winning the court of public opinion and saying Drake should have only addressed him but that's nonsense. Future and Metro dedicated an entire album to shytting on Drake. He's not supposed to respond to that? Not to Ross, who he recorded like 20 songs with? :heh:

2ATMsYouSteppinOrWhat

No Round 2’s :camumad:
Daps
I will never understand how anyone can criticize Drake for going after everybody on Family Matters. It's on the record that all these guys planned to gang up on Drake and it wasn't a bunch of nobodies like Jayo Felony. They warranted a response and Drake buried them one by one.

After the fact, everyone can talk about Kendrick winning the court of public opinion and saying Drake should have only addressed him but that's nonsense. Future and Metro dedicated an entire album to shytting on Drake. He's not supposed to respond to that? Not to Ross, who he recorded like 20 songs with? :heh:

where is it on record that they all planned to get at him?

the criticsm is that he went at everyone on pushups so why do it again on Family Matters?

Pseudo

All Star
Daps
What flip? Drake was on defense mode the entire time on HP6 because of the heat he was getting after Kendrick drop two nukes on him

"I'm too famous for that shyt you just suggested":francis:

"We fed you the information" (he's a war general but forgot to provide the proof that could have killed MTG right on the spot)

"That Epstein angle was the shyt I expected"

These are some of the worst bars I've seen from a rapper of Drake's calibre

It's an awful song that he hurriedly put together to save some face. What a waste of a great beat.

He emptied his clip on FM and had nothing left in the chamber. Dude filled a music video and everything and it got over shadowed in 30 minutes

2ATMsYouSteppinOrWhat

Daps
heart part 6 will always be wack

the only good line on that track was the “breeding resentment” flip thats it

shyt was Fack levels terrible
but at least Fack is funny & entertaining

MicIsGod

They like what that mean
Daps
Reppin
Atl
Imagine saying this proudly. You're 100% bias if you think the 3rd verse is trash.

but some of ya'll still hype up the flop of a response meet the grahams was.
Meet the grahams was the best character breakdown in the whole battle. It was received well and far from a flop. It alone killed family matters. Not like us was mad unexpected.

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What flip? Drake was on defense mode the entire time on HP6 because of the heat he was getting after Kendrick drop two nukes on him

"We fed you the information" (he's a war general but forgot to provide the proof that could have killed MTG right on the spot)

It's an awful song that he hurriedly put together to save some face
You pointed out the mistakes :russ: . That’s why it’s not a great track. The fed you the information was an effective rebuttal because there is no daughter. Doesn’t need proof. He’s saying his great reveal was not only false but the info came from him. True or not it’s an effective rebuttal and people would love it if the roles were reversed. The A minor bar on Not Like Us. He flipped it. His entire pedo angle he flipped with the mother I sober angle. I know he didn’t nail it perfectly but it still hit. The R Kelly bar also is flipping the pedo angle. Drake is saying some shyt on that track. He just made mistakes. He should’ve sat with that track for a few days before putting it out. I bet he would’ve cut some stuff out and it would’ve been better.

2ATMsYouSteppinOrWhat

Daps
You pointed out the mistakes :russ: . That’s why it’s not a great track. The fed you the information was an effective rebuttal because there is no daughter. Doesn’t need proof. He’s saying his great reveal was not only false but the info came from him. True or not it’s an effective rebuttal and people would love it if the roles were reversed. The A minor bar on Not Like Us. He flipped it. His entire pedo angle he flipped with the mother I sober angle. I know he didn’t nail it perfectly but it still hit. The R Kelly bar also is flipping the pedo angle. Drake is saying some shyt on that track. He just made mistakes. He should’ve sat with that track for a few days before putting it out. I bet he would’ve cut some stuff out and it would’ve been better.

everything he “flipped” was wack breh youre tripping

that b sharp flip was beyond cringe

also

“do you fools listen to music or do you fools skim thru it”:sas2:

most people still aint caught that line by kendrick

IYKYK :sas2:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

True but would you agree that Hov is an elite MC and thus is able to accomplish things that a rapper of Drake's level can't? Nobody can say Hov's verse at Nas wasn't focused and piercing. Drake's lines at Kendrick were rather light compared to the shots at Abel, Metro, and ASAP. All that black shyt fell flat but could have potentially hit if the track was less menacing. He needed to clown Kendrick...to be frank, he needed to do something like Not Like Us.

The minute I heard Like That, I came on here and said Kendrick's best shot in a battle would be to clown Drake instead of going lyrical miracle over some "real rap" beat. I said it needed to be more Dollars & Sense than Ether/Takeover. And clearly Kendrick did exactly that.

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
True but would you agree that Hov is an elite MC and thus is able to accomplish things that a rapper of Drake's level can't? Nobody can say Hov's verse at Nas wasn't focused and piercing. Drake's lines at Kendrick were rather light compared to the shots at Abel, Metro, and ASAP. All that black shyt fell flat but could have potentially hit if the track was less menacing. He needed to clown Kendrick...to be frank, he needed to do something like Not Like Us.

The minute I heard Like That, I came on here and said Kendrick's best shot in a battle would be to clown Drake instead of going lyrical miracle over some "real rap" beat. I said it needed to be more Dollars & Sense than Ether/Takeover. And clearly Kendrick did exactly that.
No he’s not close to Jays level but he still got busy on that track. I just don’t see how you can say his bars at Kendrick were light. I also disagree that he needed a not like us kinda track. If Drake had done some silly club track that went number 1 and Kendrick was bar’ing his life away I have a hard time believing hip hop heads would say Drake won. It worked on Meek only cause his response was weak.

iliketurtles

Do Right And Kill Everything
Daps
Reppin
Free guwop

It's an awful song that he hurriedly put together to save some face. What a waste of a great beat.

He emptied his clip on FM and had nothing left in the chamber. Dude filled a music video and everything and it got over shadowed in 30 minutes
There was alot of flips do you listen to music or skim through it :mjlol: