What's The Dirt - Drake's Family Matters Diss Actually Explained

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Basically Drake shot himself in the foot twice by refusing to address Kendrick one on one. I'm not saying Drake shouldn't have addressed others, but someone should have played the end of Takeover for him: "yall only get one bar, fukk yall nikkas." He hit Metro with a one bar nuke and then did the exact opposite to Ross, ASAP, etc. Those Weeknd bars damn near sounded like a lover's quarrel. That shyt was wack.

That's why Family Matters, while good, isn't nearly as impressive to me as you guys make it out to be. The only diss where Drake focused on Kendrick 100% was Heart 6, which I'd imagine everyone agrees is the wackest song of the entire battle. If this was sports...that would be an ugly ass stat line lol.
I keep arguing with you about this. When you’re getting jumped, you swing in every direction until you get your bearings. And sometimes, the people who jump you win.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Nas won because he smoked Jay's boots. Jay was the one who put a bunch of opinions in his diss that followed Nas for years after I might add. But the difference between that and this is that. Jay and Nas had enough interactions and mutual connections to really air shyt out from first hand experience. This Drake and Kendrick shyt was just a bunch of throwing rumors out there to see which one sticks. It was just mad gossipy and girly imo. Drake ain't never seen Kendrick lay a hand on a woman let alone his fiance and he don't even know Dave Free. He just made that shyt up. Kendrick out here making up 11 year old children and all kinda shyt. No proof no nothing. nikka won off having the catchiest song in the battle. shyt was underwhelming from a bars aspect because these nikkas ain't know eachother enough to make the gossip shyt stick with me.
Takeover is sonically a better song. IDK why I’m supposed to ignore this.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:wow: You have to give Kendrick his flowers tho bruh showed out. 2 weeks of silence and then straight bombing on the boy.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Takeover aint a better diss record. I don't even like it as a song better either. This is when u couldn't hide a diss behind it being catchy either. nikkas actually cared about what was being said.

I dont know either one of these guys. Ether was jokes. Takeover was dropping dimes.

Takeover SOUNDS better. From the sample, to how the verses are constructed, to the sonics.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I dont know either one of these guys. Ether was jokes. Takeover was dropping dimes.

Takeover SOUNDS better. From the sample, to how the verses are constructed, to the sonics.
Ether wasn't "jokes" it actually had more facts than Takeover. Everyone who was close to Jay said it. Difference is Nas was taking to JAY on Ether. Jay was talking to the fans on Takeover. Nas was talking about shyt that actually happened between them on Ether.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Takeover aint a better diss record. I don't even like it as a song better either. This is when u couldn't hide a diss behind it being catchy either. nikkas actually cared about what was being said.
The Hovenger argument about it being the better beat (which is true) and/or better song (which is wrong) feel more like modern sentiments than anything that mattered back then. In fact I don't remember anyone saying the Ether beat was trash at the time, I really didn't hear that until I got online more in later years. Also worth noting that beyond the lyrics and bars...Nas' performance on Ether is just amazing. The chorus, the way he delivers the lines...that's another thing that sets apart great disses to me. From the LL ones to Hit Em Up to Beans dismantling Jada to Ether...and now to Not Like Us (and Meet The Grahams)...the performance and HOW you say shyt can put things over the top in my opinion. Bean sounded absolutely disgusted. LL sounded stunned Canibus was talking shyt about him. Nas was ranging from disgust to incredulous to downright contempt. Kendrick was a mix of all that. It's a performance. I think Jay was too slick to ever really get that across against Nas, and Drake sounded like he was just reciting words.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Ether wasn't "jokes" it actually had more facts than Takeover. Everyone who was close to Jay said it. Difference is Nas was taking to JAY on Ether. Jay was talking to the fans on Takeover. Nas was talking about shyt that actually happened between them on Ether.
The Hovenger argument about it being the better beat (which is true) and/or better song (which is wrong) feel more like modern sentiments than anything that mattered back then. In fact I don't remember anyone saying the Ether beat was trash at the time, I really didn't hear that until I got online more in later years. Also worth noting that beyond the lyrics and bars...Nas' performance on Ether is just amazing. The chorus, the way he delivers the lines...that's another thing that sets apart great disses to me. From the LL ones to Hit Em Up to Beans dismantling Jada to Ether...and now to Not Like Us (and Meet The Grahams)...the performance and HOW you say shyt can put things over the top in my opinion. Bean sounded absolutely disgusted. LL sounded stunned Canibus was talking shyt about him. Nas was ranging from disgust to incredulous to downright contempt. Kendrick was a mix of all that. It's a performance. I think Jay was too slick to ever really get that across against Nas, and Drake sounded like he was just reciting words.
Guys. I like Takeover better. it resonates with me better innately and intuitively.

In fact, when I first heard Takeover, I had listened to it first as a song before I had truly grasped all of the diss lines (like Mobb Deep). I just liked it as a song way more.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Guys. I like Takeover better. it resonates with me better innately and intuitively.

In fact, when I first heard Takeover, I had listened to it first as a song before I had truly grasped all of the diss lines (like Mobb Deep). I just liked it as a song way more.
That's cool. Just know that most nikkas in the streets felt the opposite and what was crazy is Jay was on top of the world at the time. Nas smoked his boots and the whole city was on pause when it dropped.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Plenty of people like Takeover more, just like plenty people like Family Matters more. But in both cases....as long as you understand you're in a small minority, we good.
:mjlol:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Plenty of people like Takeover more, just like plenty people like Family Matters more. But in both cases....as long as you understand you're in a small minority, we good.
:mjlol:
I understand why people think NLU is better. I happen to think this as well. I’ve never understood what people liked about Ether. It sounds cheap and just unrefined. I never liked it.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
The only "shock value" to Ether is that a lot of people prob didn't think Nas would annihilate Jay like that, or get so personal. I'm not from NY but I def remember when that shyt came out and it was the dopest shyt to us. Funny as hell too. I don't think anybody saw that coming.
I didn’t think it was an annihilation. I just…dont see it that way. Takeover is how I like my disses. Nas just crashed out and people like that. Stylistically, it represents how you think about yourself and how you engage with others. Takeover represents my way of thinking more. It’s just a personal thing.