What's The Dirt - Drake's Family Matters Diss Actually Explained

2ATMsYouSteppinOrWhat

No Round 2’s :camumad:
Daps
I don’t think anyone disagrees that Kendrick won. (I hope not anyway.) As hip hop heads we can still debate who won lyrically. Nas beat Jay by popular opinion but we still debated who won lyrically. The problem with this battle is it’s very hard to find people who aren’t bias and judge it objectively. As much as What’s the dirt reaches at least he’s giving props to both guys. He also by the way said Kendrick won. I have no issue if someone thinks Kendrick won lyrically. I thought it was a close battle that should be fun to debate. The landslide talk to me is where it feels there’s bias. I’ve seen folks say the top 4 songs in the battle are all from Kendrick. :beli:

how would you rank the tracks?

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:yeshrug:I think Kendrick won the battle lyrically and conceptually. He had way more quotables and showed more versatility in his tracks. Not to say that Drake wasn’t with the shyts. He had some good ideas they just backfired or went unutilized.

Last edited:

MicIsGod

They like what that mean
Daps
Reppin
Atl
:yeshrug:I think Kendrick won the battle lyrically and conceptually. He had way more quotables and showed more versatility in his tracks. Not to say that Drake wasn’t with the shyts. He had some good ideas they just backfired.
Some really great ideas. The white women angle and the family stuff with a more focused effort and less rocky/ weekend stuff and you got something. Really just a bad matchup for him.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
:yeshrug:I think Kendrick won the battle lyrically and conceptually. He had way more quotables and showed more versatility in his tracks. Not to say that Drake wasn’t with the shyts. He had some good ideas they just backfired or went unutilized.

Basically Drake shot himself in the foot twice by refusing to address Kendrick one on one. I'm not saying Drake shouldn't have addressed others, but someone should have played the end of Takeover for him: "yall only get one bar, fukk yall nikkas." He hit Metro with a one bar nuke and then did the exact opposite to Ross, ASAP, etc. Those Weeknd bars damn near sounded like a lover's quarrel. That shyt was wack.

That's why Family Matters, while good, isn't nearly as impressive to me as you guys make it out to be. The only diss where Drake focused on Kendrick 100% was Heart 6, which I'd imagine everyone agrees is the wackest song of the entire battle. If this was sports...that would be an ugly ass stat line lol.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
Basically Drake shot himself in the foot twice by refusing to address Kendrick one on one. I'm not saying Drake shouldn't have addressed others, but someone should have played the end of Takeover for him: "yall only get one bar, fukk yall nikkas." He hit Metro with a one bar nuke and then did the exact opposite to Ross, ASAP, etc. Those Weeknd bars damn near sounded like a lover's quarrel. That shyt was wack.

That's why Family Matters, while good, isn't nearly as impressive to me as you guys make it out to be. The only diss where Drake focused on Kendrick 100% was Heart 6, which I'd imagine everyone agrees is the wackest song of the entire battle. If this was sports...that would be an ugly ass stat line lol.
I agree…but at the same time the bragging rights that Drake would’ve received. And the spectacle of Drake bombing on like 5 rappers. On some Pac Against All Odds shyt is too good of an opportunity. To pass up on especially if Drake would’ve won. But Kendrick was obviously the biggest threat, and someone he should’ve focused on.

Last edited:

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Nas won because he smoked Jay's boots. Jay was the one who put a bunch of opinions in his diss that followed Nas for years after I might add. But the difference between that and this is that. Jay and Nas had enough interactions and mutual connections to really air shyt out from first hand experience. This Drake and Kendrick shyt was just a bunch of throwing rumors out there to see which one sticks. It was just mad gossipy and girly imo. Drake ain't never seen Kendrick lay a hand on a woman let alone his fiance and he don't even know Dave Free. He just made that shyt up. Kendrick out here making up 11 year old children and all kinda shyt. No proof no nothing. nikka won off having the catchiest song in the battle. shyt was underwhelming from a bars aspect because these nikkas ain't know eachother enough to make the gossip shyt stick with me.
Exactly how I felt

Pseudo

All Star
Daps
At the end of the day Drake lost this battle because he's a creep. People believed Kendrick's accusations because Drake's own behaviour corroborated them.

You don't need to speculate heavily to see what's right in your face. They're are articles, videos and various that speak on his inappropriate behaviour with minors (way before the beef)

"This Epsteined angle was the shyt I expected " - Drake

JarrodG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boston
This didn't need no 2hrs for this. Should of turned it off when he started about Drake heritage. Talking about Drake family actually with through some shyt. Yeah so? Drake didn't. We got video proof :francis: