What's an ''industry plant''?

Daps
Reppin
Yeah
Frank Ocean was already signed to Def Jam for several years before he dropped Nostalgia. It kinda makes you wonder the connects OF had before they "blew"

Considered fact that they has em's x manager and the perfect kanye consign it would make sense.

But out of all labels interscope is famous for that shyt.

Better yet universal as a whole.

Capitol

Did this work
Daps

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
not even a fan of Odd Future's music, but in all fairness to them, I used to post on Hypebeast forums when Tyler the Creator was posting as 'bloxheads'. I remember he had the weirdest get-ups for "fit battles" :gag: Anyway, he linked his myspace back in 07/08ish cuz he was making instrumentals. Wasn't really posting on HB like that around 09 so I guess he just started rapping afterwards. He met EARL through myspace, too. their hype was pre-calculated to a degree though, I'll say that much

Another Man

Trappin w/ Benzino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Red Roof Inn
I agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78_loMbmKJ8

This video came out nearly two years ago. No one knew who Tyler was, or what OF was, they just saw this video of kids doing fukked up shyt with a big lipped 16 year old rapping. And the video had a bunch of views before OF started getting press.

Are people saying they were signed at the time?

You must not know what viral marketing is.

OF is a perfect example of industry backed plants. Dudes came into the game like a year ago w/ people even calling them "the next wu-tang", and now have their own TV show and everything. Yep, no industry backing at all. Same thing with Drake, how his first mixtapes had way more hype, promo and industry cosigns than most ALBUMS.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
its-a-conspiracy.jpg

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
Another perfect example would be.

"Joey Badass"

Most people got hooked to him cause Big Krit posted a link to his music video on his twitter back in the day. I remeber that thread back on sohh. Its funny cause Joey Badass got the same management team as Krit and Smoke Dza :leostare:. On the low I think Dame Dash got some hands in that operation too. If I remember Creative Control is Dame and his nephews and sons working that company. The same people that helped Stalley and Currensy blow too.

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
Another perfect example would be.

"Joey Badass"

Most people got hooked to him cause Big Krit posted a link to his music video on his twitter back in the day. I remeber that thread back on sohh. Its funny cause Joey Badass got the same management team as Krit and Smoke Dza :leostare:. On the low I think Dame Dash got some hands in that operation too. If I remember Creative Control is Dame and his nephews and sons working that company. The same people that helped Stalley and Currensy blow too.
Nah Dame was trying to bring back the roc and had his DD172 imprint he was trying to push. I think the whole thing has probably folded by now. I think Creative Control is something else entirely. I could be wrong tho

dook

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78_loMbmKJ8

This video came out nearly two years ago. No one knew who Tyler was, or what OF was, they just saw this video of kids doing fukked up shyt with a big lipped 16 year old rapping. And the video had a bunch of views before OF started getting press.

Are people saying they were signed at the time?

yes they were signed. their manager clancy, who was there from day 1 and set the whole thing up, is an old school interscope exec. he's credited as the product manager on the MMLP

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You must not know what viral marketing is.

OF is a perfect example of industry backed plants. Dudes came into the game like a year ago w/ people even calling them "the next wu-tang", and now have their own TV show and everything. Yep, no industry backing at all. Same thing with Drake, how his first mixtapes had way more hype, promo and industry cosigns than most ALBUMS.

:yeshrug:

Their first tape came out in 08.

And to go off what Heelish said, Tyler was posting dumb shyt on youtube back in May 08.

Re: The Free Perm Show - Adult Swim Message Boards

Clearly in the same vein as the Adult Swim show. How deep does the rabbit hole go?

Last edited by a moderator:

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa
This marketing tool has been used numerous times throughout the last 5 years. As long as the music is good, there is no problem with it.