Votes: 9 6.3%

Votes: 17 11.9%

Votes: 7 4.9%

• Total voters
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y’all can’t base how good life was on what hip hop albums dropped :skip:
How good your individual life was depends on your own circumstances. You coulda been homeless in 1990 on skid row or living in a mansion in Beverly Hills. You could have even lived in the hood during the crack era and not have had it that bad. You had to be there. I touched on how ironically there was way more optimism in the culture in the early 90’s despite the higher crime rates. You could be doing good or bad no matter the year. But to ignore how potent music was in the 90’s would be weird.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was a kid but 1996 feels like the best year of my childhood. I remember playing ball all summer at the Boys and Girls Club and the courts around town while the drug dealing nikkas rode by blasting If I Ruled the World in their Saabs and Lexuses :ahh:

lurker emeritus

low quantity poster
Daps
Reppin
stl (north side)
94, because that's the year I became a man
also, for the record, in 96 (in st. louis at least)
reasonable doubt was a nice little album that came and went
and wasn't some standout historical marker (until years later)

Daps
Reppin
NULL
How could I forget video games... video games definitely improved my quality of life growing up in the hood in the 90's where it wasn't always safe to play outside and explore...

1990- Super Mario 3 drops on NES. Other classic NES titles dropping include Mega Man 3, Little Nemo, Adventures of Lolo 2, Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout. We used to rent video games ever week when I was like 7 years old back then. Much simpler time. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker is the shyt at the arcade, boy, I'm trying to tell you if you ain't old enough to have experienced that. The arcades were super lit in the early 90's. You had to physically leave your house to get the best gaming experience and it was crack to us as little kids.

1991- Sonic the Hedgehog drops on Sega Genesis and blows our brains to bits. ToeJam & Earl good in every hood thanks to Genesis. Nintendo immediately claps back dropping the Super Nintendo Entertainment system. Super Mario World is also crack for kids. The Simpsons arcade game pops up at your local mall arcade or Pizza joint. Street Fighter 2 drops in the arcades. Golden age of arcades.

1992- Super Mario Kart released on SNES. Other SNES classics dropping are Final Fantasy 2, Pocky & Rocky and Mario Paint. The X Men arcade game comes out in arcades. Genesis not slacking either with Sonic 2.

1993- SNES continues to drop classics. Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Secret of Mana. Mega Man X. Street Fighter 2. Mortal Kombat II debuts at the arcades. Atari drops first 64 bit system called the Jaguar. But Jaguar's catalog of games was extremely limited and resulted in poor sales. Genesis drops NBA Jam.

1994- SNES continues dominance. Final Fantasy 3. Earthworm Jim. Earthbound. Madden 95'. Mega Man X2. Breath of Fire 2. Donkey King Country. Genesis also comes back with more hits. Sonic 3. Beavis and Butthead. NBA Live 95'.

1995- Sony Playstation debuts. In 32bit glory. Playstation comes out swinging with Mortal Kombat 3, Tekken 2, Chrono Trigger, Mega Man X3. Sega Saturn drops. Sega Saturn goes wood in the US despite doing numbers in Japan.

1996- Nintendo 64 debuts. Mario 64 is easily the best game of the decade imo. Game changer.

1997- Final Fantasy VII drops on Playstation. All preteen boys want a bytch with Tifa titties. Playstation comes back with more hits... Crash Bandicoot 2, Tomb Raider 2, Mega Man X4. Legendary titles are still being dropped on N64. Golden Eye 007, Starfox 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Blast Corps, Clayfighter etc.

1998- N64 still at it... Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie, Madden 99. Playstation dropping classics too... Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Tomb Raider 3

1999- Grand Theft Auto 2, Gran Turismo 2 and Resident Evil drop on Playstation.