What is LL Cool J missing that keeps him out of real GOAT discussion?

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
The closest that comes to my mind without having to research is “Father”

Ll has singlehandedly created.
what would become the now called content rich emo genre with:

All we got left is the beat.

Which is damn near untouchable still.

How you in here responding and do not know.
Plus i have numerous posts and threads on this actual record.

Rap right now is all derived from one ll song right now actually.
Even the last drawing template of everyone is slug mixed with some gangsta or emo rnb trait. All would not be possible if not for ll and diggy down and all we got left is the beat.
Plus to go along with all we got left is the beat. He also has the best relationship song ever made in this is us.
To go along with the love songs.
Plus no one has ll's roar and convincability whatsoever.
People yell but they never got in pocket and stayed on key like ll either came to the dance with. Plus never developed full skill like ll at all.

No modern rapper in the technical revolution has ll skillset at all.

Plus they do not have a high enough quality of vocal. Or they may have writers that may disqualify them from this discussion.

Art Barr

Why do i always have to regulate this board and the discussions.
Y'all still foo as fukk talembout rap history. All uv youse.

Art Barr

This is another exposal from you.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
The other GOAT candidates didn't make a song called Accidental Racist that suggest if whites overlook his gold chain he'd overlook slavery

Most top 10 lists are full of nikkas who did embarrassing shyt, or had flagrant missteps, musically and otherwise. That could be its own thread.

Pac - possible rape, sus pics
Jay - Sunshine:hhh:, snakery, fukkery

i never understood why LL was never fully shown when they did the video to this

i know...but i never understand why they went with the fake behind the screen when the real one was around

IIRC, he was at a show OT and couldn't make the video, and they didn't want to wait for him.

The stuff about the production... y'all really think LL needed to do records with Premo, Pete Rock, Large Pro?

They're some of my favorite all-time producers, so no dis to them... but honestly they're not the answer to EVERYTHING there is, good lord :mjlol:

It woulda been cool to see it happen a lil' bit here and there, but I don't feel like that was LL's lane. Tone from Trackmasters said before they worked on Mr. Smith, they had a convo with LL. He was tryin' to make all these grimy, street NY records at the time and they told him something to the effect of "that's not what's gonna work FOR YOU. Maybe Mobb Deep, but not YOU. Your best 'hard' records ain't about shootin' people like that 14 Shots album, but when you're bein' a hard lyricist, and your key hit records are songs the women love"... and they were right, seeing as how the album they did together blew him back up like mad. So I don't really see where LL would've won trying to make his own version of Illmatic nshyt. As much as I like Premo/Pete/Large, I just don't feel like that's for EVERYbody, LL being one of 'em.

Still would have liked that over any of his last 4 or 5 albums, instead of extra light shyt like Todd Smith:francis:

This thread exemplifies the problems with young rap fans.
They don't do their homework.
They just look at rappers from earlier generations, hear a song or two, and make up their own narrative.
They they jump out the window with their hypothesis, swearing it's gospel truth.
Then, nikkas who were there or have done their homework embarrass them with facts and instead of takin the L
they just use the age cop out aka "I was too young, etc"
Which is total horseshyt because it's never too late to get hip to older artists. The information is everywhere.
That's the reason why John Coltrane and Miles Davis are still selling records, books, and movie tickets.

Also how cacs overtake shyt. The culture would be much stronger off that alone.

LL is #10 on a top ten list and its offensive to not have him on but I don’t logically see how he’d get any higher.

Best way I can describe LL is, if you take his top 10 best songs vs. anyone else, he can compete with any emcee ever. But if you take his top 100 songs vs anyone else, he will probably lose to everyone in the top 50 lmao.

All time great but weak catalogue for his tenure, see also: Eminem, Kool G Rap, Busta Rhymes, etc.

No sir...not at all. G Rap's discography is great. I think Busta gets a bad break on this, too. His is pretty good, too.

This.. rap fans are just so lazy.. only genre where the fans hate the pioneers. Ignorant shyt

So terrible.

Cuz this guy is the real GOAT

Get all the way the fukk outta here:camby:

This is not true. Several people called them GOATs before their deaths.

Never heard that about Pac. Did hear it about Big.

The closest that comes to my mind without having to research is “Father”

Crossroads
Illegal Search
Power Of God
I Can Give You More (kinda)
Love You Better (kinda)
Cheesey Rat Blues

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Omg..its that HIS vouchers aint on message boards at their age or all over the net. The guys/rappers who were his peers or came in the 90s always mention LL as a GOAT. Their opinion matters waaay more than yalls..

Yall buggin with these threads
glad I'm not the only one. Opened this thread on some :dahell:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Omg..its that HIS vouchers aint on message boards at their age or all over the net. The guys/rappers who were his peers or came in the 90s always mention LL as a GOAT. Their opinion matters waaay more than yalls..

Yall buggin with these threads

I said the same.

Other GOAT's have L on their Top 10 lists. Most of these dudes on here don’t even know their history enough for their opinion to matter.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
I said the same.

Other GOAT's have L on their Top 10 lists. Most of these dudes on here don’t even know their history enough for their opinion to matter.

he made it through the 90's when most rappers in the 80's didn't. That alone is worth being top 5.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Y’all nikkas keep bringing up lyrical ability like that is the end all be all. But most likely got Pac in the top 5
:russ:

And let’s be honest LL prolly has more classic albums than Pac. Pac just so happened to die in his prime
:yeshrug:

LL also has one of the best voices in hip hop. Only MC with better breath control is KRS One and it’s no coincidence those two prolly give the best live shows ever

bucks3115

Superstar
Daps
Hate is the reason why LL isn't mentioned. Because breh had it all.
nikkas have been hating on him since his prime
Dude had:
Beats, rhymes, charisma, hits, influence, classics, stage presence, swagger, street cred, a teen idol look, and played equally well to dudes and chicks.
nikka can even dance. He's got both hardcore and crossover hits. Try to pretend like Around The Way Girl isn't a classic. But then he can put out I Shot Ya and not get clowned.
The love song shyt is a moot point because if you turn on the radio right now all the rap songs by these thug nikkas are brown nosing chicks but with profanity and sexual vulgarity to mask it.
Even thought the quality of his music has declined (what rapper's doesnt?) he has still managed to not fall off.
He's even the first one to tell you some of his music was trash and laugh about it.
On top of that, he transitioned into a successful acting career.
Dude is on a top rated network show right now and it's run long enough that he's getting syndication money.
Breh is in his 50's, looks the same, still cut up, and successfully raised a family while married to his childhood sweetheart.
It's rare that a rapper has racked up that many W's over a lifetime in the business.
That makes people nauseous with jealousy.
35 years of hate and breh is still standing.
Go figure.

so dope
LL alwayz been a real one

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Honestly I think it's because he was marketed as a handsome dude....He clearly has classics, lyrics, albums, beefs, diss records...Was relevant for like 20-30 years...Dude is a GOAT...But I think the way he was marketed makes hardcore heads not want to acknowledge his greatness.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
nikkaz would not even have a boomin system in their car if not for ll with the hof named soundtrack to go with it.

This droid phone huff as fukk. Ol nerd c++ goofie cap book worm nap face ass bullshyt.
Taking forever to link this youtube link to this board.

took forever to get this link on that droid bullshyt.
switching back to my elite fukk droid.

Art Barr

for nikkaz to see ll is the only emcee to make series of records as well.

also for you goofies with your nonfact culture based statements.
a goat can not have gotten served distinctly Either.
ll ain't never really been served in a battle at all. Without definitive get back.
don't say kool moe dee Either. As moe dee is the commercial artist wrongly targeting ll. When it is deflection because LL's mentor was going To serve moe dee. So he ducked silver fox and attacked ll. when originally ll sought out and was dissed by Moe dee socially. When approached by ll to learn more in the emcee pillar.

Art Barr

Last edited: