What gaming franchises would you say didn’t have “safe” sequels?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:comeon: it's a main line Metroid game and defined the series on console for almost a decade.

Its an entirely new series though. Thats like saying Ocarina of Time is a sequel to A Link To The Past. Thats why it has the ‘Prime’ subtitle.

Notice how the thread started out talking about MetalGear Solid 2 and TLOU 2

Some of these are just listing new games in existing IP

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
Its an entirely new series though. Thats like saying Ocarina of Time is a sequel to A Link To The Past, thats why it has the ‘Prime’ subtitle.

:why:

Semantics, couldn't I say that The Last of Us Part 2 isn't a sequel but a continuation of the story like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 and 2 in theaters:troll:

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
Forgot Crysis 2. The change from jungle to city, removing Nomad, changing the aliens freezing powers, and making the game more linear were huge risks.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Forgot Crysis 2. The change from jungle to city, removing Nomad, changing the aliens freezing powers, and making the game more linear were huge risks.
a lot of people would argue these changes were made to appeal to a broader audience

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
Its an entirely new series though. Thats like saying Ocarina of Time is a sequel to A Link To The Past. Thats why it has the ‘Prime’ subtitle.

Notice how the thread started out talking about MetalGear Solid 2 and TLOU 2

Some of these are just listing new games in existing IP

I just dont want to argue

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
wheel-of-fortune-wheel.gif

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
Look no further than the Saints Row series. My God how the mighty have fallen. Of a cliff. Onto a cactus!

Saints 1 and 2 were grounded semi-comical gangsta action games. Serious stories with a bit of comedy layered in. Struck a perfect balance to make a franchise.

Then the 3rd happened....and things have been fukking crazy ever since. You're a celebrity criminal who does a bunch of matrix anime action movie shyt. Jumping out of planes.....shooting guns and then back into the plane through the windshield through the plane then out the back AGAIN! Calling down rocket strikes and flying and fight space jets and shyt. Swinging dildos and fighting wrestlers with chainsaws. It's like they let an ADHD child write the outline.

Saints 4 they went even further. Granted, I like this one more than 3. It's still a far cry from the 2 great games at the beginning. One word.....ALIENS

Then we got to Hell....and then back into space.

Then the reboot happened and from what I can gather, it's like they let a green haired, vegan, gen z kid with ADHD write the script.

What the fukk happened one of my favorite franchises?! No other franchise can say that they have been through that much shyt and somehow, someway it's all canon!

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
The whole concept seems stupid,
if it aint broke don't fix it.
I'd give a bunch of money for a safe sequel to sleeping dogs right now.
Sometimes things are good just the way they are and all you want is more, not some meaningless challenge to make it unique enough to stand on its own.
If you can legitimately make improvements to the formula by all means, but changing shyt just to say you weren't being safe is dumb.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The whole concept seems stupid,
if it aint broke don't fix it.
I'd give a bunch of money for a safe sequel to sleeping dogs right now.
Sometimes things are good just the way they are and all you want is more, not some meaningless challenge to make it unique enough to stand on its own.
If you can legitimately make improvements to the formula by all means, but changing shyt just to say you weren't being safe is dumb.

I agree, theres nothing wrong with safe sequels, i think most sequels are safe just by the laws of nature. It takes an incredible amount of time putting a successful game together with memorable characters, its extremely risky to throw it all out the window for its next entry. Even more so now.

I would love a safe Sifu sequel