What gaming franchises would you say didn’t have “safe” sequels?

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
:yeshrug: I have no problem with “safe sequels.” As long as the game is good I’m not complaining. Not every sequel has to be a big departure from the first game. I 100% bet if Neil would’ve made TLOU 2. About another Ellie and Joel adventure and play it “safe.” The game would’ve still been great. But he didn’t lol and gave us something we’re still talking about today.
Nah do something... Haven't played Spiderman in years... Turn on the new one and it's like I'm playing the old one. Don't even care to play the now 3rd game in a row that's exactly the same game.

Don't turn it into Superman... But give me something else brehs

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Before i was even done reading your response i was gonna reply with this.

The biggest issue those people have with the game is that a brolic woman was the one who killed Joel. Anything even remotely perceived as “pandering” is met with the fury of 1000’s Cheeto dusted fingers on keyboards
Brehs still suggest men who should play her in the tv show... Or trannies.. Had me thinking she was a tranny in the game or something

Men are so fragile

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Halo 2 spent half its missions as a character from the other side of the conflict and never once mentioned him in the marketing beyond his line of “I will continue my campaign against the humans”. That could’ve backfired catastrophically.

Assassin’s Creed 2 gave us an entirely new setting and protagonist from the first.

Massive changes to level structure and the core gameplay. Think going from Greek era god of war to Norse era god of war.
Assassin's Creed Origins, changing from a stealth game with parkour to an RPG with no current times gameplay nor stealth nor assassin's guild was crazy

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Halo 2 for sure wasn't safe. Spending half of the game playing as the enemy was a big risk

Halo Reach and 4 made changes to the multiplayer, which most likely hurt Halo by adding loadouts. I felt that was very risky to change the formula to make the game feel more like COD

COD infinite warfare (I think it's this one) they strayed away from beign a military shooter to focus more on sci-fi. That's a major risk because I don't think COD audience wanted sci-fi elements added into the game.

I find each Watch Dog game is different from one another, and I thought Legion was a big risk that didn't pay off.

Burnout Paradise wasn't because it changed the Burnout formula by making it open world, which I would consider a big risk because why change a formula that isn't broken.

I guess you can say each Dragon Age is different, but I found Dragon Age 2 took the big risk of taking away the first game's freedom. I found forcing us to play through Hawke was a big mistake

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
images

It wasn't Banjo-Threeie.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
SMB2 is a weird situation, since that was a completely different game that they altered into a Mario game. Zelda 2 was a true sequel, and was very different from the first game though

Westbama Heartthrob

Irregular Zero
Daps
Reppin
7th District
Not sure if it counts but mcvi

Cause it's a lot different from the third game but some of that isn't intentional

The lack of xmen and cel shading was forced by disney/marvel, but the swap to 2 vs 2 and gem system were risks that worked surprisingly well

The gameplay was also simpler too be more friendly to casuals and beginners. Which is funny cause the third game was the same for mvc2

Overall, I like mvci despite how different it is to 3. It's just kinda bland. Presentation is downright depressing. None of the returning characters have voice lines that sound nearly as enthusiastic. Feels like a bootleg marvel game. If it was, it would probably be beloved for being the best mvc fan game :russ:

But the fact that a major studio put this out is just nuts. I low-key commend capcom for putting it out. Took some bravery

I just hope they haven't either given up hope of making another one or been denied another one cause disney/marvel being in the damn way again :martin: