What gaming franchises would you say didn’t have “safe” sequels?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:mjlol: I wonder if TLOU 2 will have the same hate-love cycle as MGS 2 once had. Maybe in TLOU 3 Abby should come back as a cyborg ninja lol. Maybe then people would love TLOU2.

Part of why I’m having this discussion because i think looking back the outrage that TLOU2 elicited is something people want more of in retrospect. Thats why this “safe” sequel thing has blown up after GoWR,HFW,SM2, etc.

The last un-safe sequel was TLOU Part 2.

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Can't think of many, most are rather iterative from a design perspective.

Mgs2 was just a build out on the design of 1, can't think of many. It's even worse nowadays sequels are just same design concepts.

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Part of why I’m having this discussion because i think looking back the outrage that TLOU2 elicited is something people want more of in retrospect. Thats why this “safe” sequel thing has blown up after GoWR,HFW,SM2, etc.

These are all super safe iterative sequels

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
These are all super safe iterative sequels

TLOU Part 2, i would not describe as safe considering the outrage. They killed off a fan favorite character and theres an entire subreddit dedicated to hating the game and its creator until this day

I just looked and theres still dozens of ‘cuckmann’ post being made daily

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps

:yeshrug: I have no problem with “safe sequels.” As long as the game is good I’m not complaining. Not every sequel has to be a big departure from the first game. I 100% bet if Neil would’ve made TLOU 2. About another Ellie and Joel adventure and play it “safe.” The game would’ve still been great. But he didn’t lol and gave us something we’re still talking about today.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:yeshrug: I have no problem with “safe sequels.” As long as the game is good I’m not complaining. Not every sequel has to be a big departure from the first game. I 100% bet if Neil would’ve made TLOU 2. About another Ellie and Joel adventure and play it “safe.” The game would’ve still been great. But he didn’t lol and gave us something we’re still talking about today.

Yeah, i think if they went the uncharted route and made it another joel and ellie adventure with joel dying in the blaze of glory at the end no one would have really cared much about it.

They took a lot of big narrative risks and i think it paid off in the eyes of general gaming discourse even if it alienated and pissed off a lot of “fans”. Theres a lane for safe and unsafe but i think if you’re a studio known for making narrative heavy games you have to eventually piss some people off to stay in the conversation.

I think Ragnarok dropped the ball in that aspect

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
TLOU Part 2, i would not describe as safe considering the outrage. They killed off a fan favorite character and theres an entire subreddit dedicated to hating the game and its creator until this day

I just looked and theres still dozens of ‘cuckmann’ post being made daily
From a design perspective it's safe, if you talking narrative I'd agree they made some choices I wasn't a fan of myself. But when people dicuss iterative they talking design.I expect most sequels to pretty much not take huge leaps going forward unfortunately, game design has gotten more difficult. In comparison to sm hfw and gowr, I'd agree it had the biggest leap in Design for sure

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
From a design perspective it's safe, if you talking narrative I'd agree they made some choices I wasn't a fan of myself. But when people dicuss iterative they talking design.I expect most sequels to pretty much not take huge leaps going forward unfortunately, game design has gotten more difficult. In comparison to sm hfw and gowr, I'd agree it had the biggest leap in Design for sure

Design wise what would you say is un-safe?

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
:mjlol: I wonder if TLOU 2 will have the same hate-love cycle as MGS 2 once had. Maybe in TLOU 3 Abby should come back as a cyborg ninja lol. Maybe then people would love TLOU2.
People hate that game till this day, People who vow to never play it.

It's actually insane because from a gameplay perspective, the game is amazing. From a story perspective, I dont even think the game was that controversial with the changes from the first.

I swear after the ending of the first game, most people were in agreement that what Joel did was fukked up and that the sequel would likely see him pay consequences for what he did. Even before the second game released, the most popular speculation was that Joel was dead and we'd be playing as ellie seeking revenge.

I guess the unexpected part was playing as the character that killed Joel. Personally I think the game was a victim of that bullshyt anti woke movement from a few years ago. If Abby was a generic white man, the backlash wouldn't have been nearly as bad as it was.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Abby was a generic white man, the backlash wouldn't have been nearly as bad as it was.

Before i was even done reading your response i was gonna reply with this.

The biggest issue those people have with the game is that a brolic woman was the one who killed Joel. Anything even remotely perceived as “pandering” is met with the fury of 1000’s Cheeto dusted fingers on keyboards

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Halo 2 spent half its missions as a character from the other side of the conflict and never once mentioned him in the marketing beyond his line of “I will continue my campaign against the humans”. That could’ve backfired catastrophically.

Assassin’s Creed 2 gave us an entirely new setting and protagonist from the first.

Design wise what would you say is un-safe?
Massive changes to level structure and the core gameplay. Think going from Greek era god of war to Norse era god of war.