What are your opinions of Jay-Z Vol.2 Hard Knock Life album?

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
This is a rewrite. Jay was on par with X in '98. Master P was huge, but musically Jay had him. HKL had numerous hit records before it came out, when it came out, and after. Eminem wasn't really a factor until '99 and the hype grew exponentially after Dre dropped 2001 at the end of '99.
you realize DMX dropped 2 albums in 98, then had the Ruff Ryders Compilation, Ruff Ryders was a movement, Jay was a rapper

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Hold up folks shytting on It's Like That. I still love that shyt to this day. The only track I really ain't fukking with is Paper Chase.

I got this as a classic but probably 5th or 6th overall behind RD, Black Album, American Gangsta, Blueprint and Vol. 1.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you realize DMX dropped 2 albums in 98, then had the Ruff Ryders Compilation, Ruff Ryders was a movement, Jay was a rapper

That makes the argument worse. Jay was huge just off the one album and the biggest song off the RR compilation was a Jay Z solo.

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
nah...it was Jay's breakthru.

He wasn't seeing P, X or Em in 98.

I didn't say it was the best album

However, it was the biggest album

Em didn't start to blow until 99

HKL was the #1 album for 5 or 6 wks straight and all the singles were smashes

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
over DMX?!

X album was better but Jay had the streets in a frenzy starting in summer of 98

I believe HKL came out in Sept of 98 & you couldn't find it NOWHERE

He basically had 4 singles released before the album drop: Money Ain't A Thang, It's Alright, Can I Get A, and Hard Knock Life

It's not his best album by any means but it was his biggest

No one was thinking about Jay in Spring 98 bc of X...but by Sept of that yr, Jay was in the MVP discussion

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
51ZqrrYpnQL.jpg

tumblr_mogluxERbQ1rrvheyo1_500.png

Jay-Z-Vol.-2-Hard-Knock-Life.jpg

I personally think it could be his best album bc it mixes the perfect of amount of street shyt with pop hits

not to mention it has this song

Tracks 3-7 were strait Piff Classics for me. Still sound great today. Money aint a thing is also a classic but that was an old song by the time the album dropped. ''Hard Knock life'' and ''can i get a'' were really big singles on the radio and on tv. All in all The album is a very good album, launched him into stardom. No complaints. he made better albums later though in BP and AG.