What are your opinions of Jay-Z Vol.2 Hard Knock Life album?

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Bleek's intro
A Week Ago
Reservoir Dogs
Its Like That

That's it. The rest...:hhh:

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Save for "It's Like That" I don't really listen to it like that. I have it above Vol. 3, though.

Last edited:

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Best Jay-Z album. fukk it. I said it. People talk about RD but I heard Vol 1 and Vol 2 in real time. Vol 2 was the :damn: "Jigga leveled up!" Then I went back to RD and was like :ld:

Some weak tracks for sure. but if you look at the tracks that are fire, they're incredible.

Are we forgetting that this was on Vol 2?

shyt had me :damn: back then. and to this day, I'll say that's a top 20 all-time Jay-Z song. That beat is fukkin ridiculous and Jay-Z absolutely kills it.

"More Money, More Cash, More Hoes" is also genius. That beat is way the fukk ahead of its time. Another top 20 Jay-Z track.

"Hand It Down" is Memphis Bleek's best track, period.

Can I Get A and Hard Knock Life are also Jay-Z in his prime. nikka What and It's Like That are dope - not my go-tos but great nonetheless.

RD is stronger lyrically but too mellow - especially Jay-Z's voice and the production. Great songs of course, but Jay-Z found himself on Vol 2. Blueprint is dope and has some of Jay-Z's best songs, but it's RD with a lil more energy.

1. Vol 2.
2. Vol 3 (So Ghetto, Do It Again, Big Pimpin, Come and Get Me, Girls Best Friend, Jigga My nikka -- ALL classics)
3. Blueprint
4. RD
5. Black Album

Mr. Negative

Illumination, awesome. Interpretation; awkward
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
I get digits in lumps/
Ima muthafukkin problem, is this what you want?

Overachiever. I love chicks who twist cheeba in reefer paper./
I hate the ones that blow up your beeper.

Jay effortlessly spit a rap clinic on this shyt.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nah...it was Jay's breakthru.

He wasn't seeing P, X or Em in 98.

This is a rewrite. Jay was on par with X in '98. Master P was huge, but musically Jay had him. HKL had numerous hit records before it came out, when it came out, and after. Eminem wasn't really a factor until '99 and the hype grew exponentially after Dre dropped 2001 at the end of '99.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is an rewrite. Jay was on par with X in '98. Master P was huge, but musically Jay had him. HKL had numerous hit records before it came out, when it came out, and after. Eminem wasn't really a factor until '99 and the hype grew exponentially after Dre dropped 2001 at the end of '99.
Thank you!

OHSNAP!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol::mjlol:

probably shoulda bolded HKL too
Don't get me wrong, Jay came thru on most cuts, but the production was BASURA on these shyts...you like the NWNW instrumental? That boring piece of shyt It's Like That? Wannabe-futuristic It's Alright? repetitive bland-ass-sample Reservoir Dogs? Pisspoor Ride Or Die? Insomnia-cure Paper Chase?

Go broaden your horizon brehs

Production on this album shyts all over Vol2 HKL

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikka What nikka Who
Paper Chase (sounds more like a Foxy song)
Reservoir Dogs
Money Cash
A Week Ago
It's Alright
Money Ain't A Thang

^^^ my favorite songs off of it

Vilify

Superstar
Daps
My favorite Jay-Z album. I still bump it till this day.

Daps
Reppin
Eastside of that Motor
Hard Knock Life and Can I get a (from rush hour) put me on to Jay z as a kid. I can't give you the instant impact because I didn't own the disc but then but after I started listening to RD a few years later Vol 2 lost a lost of replay value imo