What are your opinions of Jay-Z Vol.2 Hard Knock Life album?

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I personally felt it was a classic, but on the Coli, I see a lot of people rank it in the bottom parts of his discog. I will say to be fair the album's production didnt age well. I still would have to put it in his top 5

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Good album

But this album is a testament that sales don't equal timeless music

Because these days a lot of people always go to the argument of "it sold this much" so it's a classic. How much an album sells doesn't mean it's a classic.

This is his biggest selling album and yet these days it's not even mentioned alongside The Blueprint, Reasonable Doubt, American Gangster The Black Album, or even Vol. 1

Daps
It was a great album material wise and a classic due to it being the breakthrough album for a guy some consider to be the best that ever did it

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
This was the album that made Jay what he is

Prior to this album, he was just another known rapper

The summer of 98...Jay's buzz was on a million...he already released Streets Is Watchin', It's Alright was getting play, Money Ain't A Thang was getting play

When he swiped rule for Can I Get A, coupled with the title track Hard Knock Life being released around album time....the anticipation for the album reached an APEX

You couldn't find that album in the stores nowhere for about a week

It's clearly not a classic album, but it had some moments

My fav track on there is Reservoir Dogs

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This album probably had the biggest influence on me in my early childhood.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This was the album that made Jay what he is

Prior to this album, he was just another known rapper

The summer of 98...Jay's buzz was on a million...he already released Streets Is Watchin', It's Alright was getting play, Money Ain't A Thang was getting play

When he swiped rule for Can I Get A, coupled with the title track Hard Knock Life being released around album time....the anticipation for the album reached an APEX

You couldn't find that album in the stores nowhere for about a week

It's clearly not a classic album, but it had some moments

My fav track on there is Reservoir Dogs
Yup. It’s not a classic in the quality sense and it’s obviously nowhere near his best work but you can make a strong argument this was Jay’s most important album as far as his career goes.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
The only albums I’ll put 100% above vol 2 is RD & BP.

It’s too many classics on here

vol 2 my fav Jay album

and like I said before it’s his most street oriented album content wise after RD. “Can I get A”is the only non street record. Other than that nothing but street shyt over accessible beats