What Are “European Beauty Standards”?

AsTheWorldBurns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
State to the Lake
You kinda contradicted yourself. You started off with the premise that Black women don’t complain about the European Beauty Standard more than other groups.

Then you proceeded to give an explanation on why the Black woman is negatively effected by the European Beauty Standard more than anyone else. ( which would help explain the heightened sensitivity)

Well maybe Black men are blissfully ignorant. But the next time I see a brother complaining about the European Beauty Standard would be the first time.

Are Black women comfortable that outside of rappers, pro athletes and the fashion industry, that their men find them attractive?

Is that good enough?

Disagree. My premise wasn’t that black women complain at the same rate. We definitely pushback more because we are further from that standard.

I disagreed with the generalization that black men and non black minority women don’t deal with it as well, even if it’s to a lesser degree.

But black men definitely deal with it, or else I wouldn’t see black men on surgery IG pages getting nose jobs. And another poster brought up a good point. The attractiveness of men does not rest solely on appearance, in the same way women attractiveness does. So black men have other avenues to combat European beauty standards, not available to black women.

And to your last statement, I would say no. And y’all always clown black women as being superficial about it. But I think it’s a more psychological issue that’s prevalent because humans consume media on a daily basis.

And really black women looking towards the celebrity men of their race for validation of their beauty is something all women do. It’s just black women over all other women are more likely to see their men with a woman of another race, in the media.

Lil Becky has a crush on some white rocker, and she believes she has a chance, even if she hit in the face, just because she got blonde hair and blue eyes just like the girls he likes to date.

Lil Imani can’t have the same type of celebrity crushes when her favorite young r&b singers makes it explicitly clear that they don’t like brown skin girls.

That’s demoralizing for a young girl’s spirit in a way I don’t think anyone else in America understands.

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
You seem out of touch. White beauty standards have been a thing and discussion for decades. Black women feel the pressure of them from the time they are little girls - whether they grow up around all block people or all white people, single or married, we feel them. shyt, every older black woman I talked to about interviewing and jobs back when I was in HS/college would tell us to make sure our hair was straight for interviews and some would even chide us for wearing braids in the office. It’s actually more recently black women have started to feel better about our features with the natural hair movement, wider acceptance of curvier bodies, more representation in media, etc. but the pervasive white beauty standard still apply. Just look at all the popping “black” actresses - zendaya, zazie, Zoe, tessa, Yara - most are curly hair, half breeds, we’re still being asked to conform to white standards for acceptance.
You say I’m out of touch. But I just didn’t realize the extent that grown Black folks are still walking around with these “A Color Purple” type problems in 2021.

I thought more of us really knew who we are and loved ourselves by now. I see I was mistaken.

Maybe living in majority Black spaces the majority of my life has sheltered me from the war going on outside.

:manny:

87 others

Superstar
Daps
:laff: Dog you are 2 for 8 right now. Just say some non-biracial black women and you might get your point off...but you can barely do that.
I have never believed white women tan to "look black". That has always been a coping mechanism in my opinion
Bi-Racial women are superior looking to both black and white women. That what you want me to really say? That's fine - it's the reality.

AsTheWorldBurns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
State to the Lake
This is kinda bullshyt because black women in the 70's was wearing afros.

This is you viewing things thru rose colored glasses and not in true context.

I’m young but all my aunts was poppin in the 70’s. First off every black woman was not rocking a fro. Plenty of black women were still relaxing or pressing their hair. And truth be told, unless the man you was dealing with was really down for the cause and not just following the pro black wave, he preferred the silky look because it was more aligned with the American standard.

If you wanted to work in an office downtown, you could wear a nice picked out short Afro, sure.

But if you were going for a competitive role, you were pressing that hair out to give you an edge with white hiring managers.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
No.

But I have seen them risk skin cancer to live up to an “Afrocentric Beauty Standard.”

I mean nobody calls it that, but let’s be honest about what it is.
Tanning became a widespread practice because labor shifted from outside to inside, and holidays were integrated into workers' rights. Being pale became associated with staying inside an office during the day, while tanned skin was made a symbol of holidays on the beach and rich lifestyle.

Nothing to do with a so called "Afrocentric Beauty Standard".

OliviaTwist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Souf
Wasn’t there a poster yesterday trolling calling dark skinned women sharecroppers and likening them to boots but now we don’t know what the Euro beauty standard is and where it could have possibly come from?

For white people to be such a minority around the world they sure have done an ungodly amount of destruction. Men in general aren’t as affected by beauty standards because men’s inherent value isn’t in their beauty like women. Plus since dark= masculine and light=feminine Black men have had some protection against it on a personal level but it manifests itself in the c00ning some do over white and lighter skinned women. Plus didn’t Kendrick Perkins get exposed for his weird obsession with Steph Curry’s complexion and he finally had to admit he was jealous?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Of course you'd find a way to over-analyze what I said. Okay then, Bria Myles, Melyssa Ford, and Paula Patton. I can keep going forever and I'm sure you'll find something wrong with any woman I mention because you already have a narrative that you're sticking to in your head. My point was that good looking women (and men, for that matter) don't complain about beauty standards because there are no "standards" that can overshadow genuine attractiveness.
This is beyond wrong.
You say I’m out of touch. But I just didn’t realize the extent that grown Black folks are still walking around like with these A Color Purple type problems in 2021.

I thought more of us really knew who we are and loved ourselves by now. I see I was mistaken.
most people aren’t sitting around not loving themselves over this, as most people have a lot more to think about than their looks. but there is always the reality that there is a western standard of beauty and it won’t ever be a brown skinned wide nosed, full lipped, kinky/coily haired woman.

Even things we’re known for, it took women of other races to make it desirable to white people - Kim kardashian and j lo made butts popular/acceptable to white people, not Buffy the body or even nicki Minaj, Angelina Jolie made white women want full lips, not Journee smollett or Megan good. Black woman can be deemed beautiful but won’t be held as the beauty standard in western societies outside of fetishization or woke pandering

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
Tanning became a widespread practice because labor shifted from outside to inside, and holidays were integrated into workers' rights. Being pale became associated with staying inside an office during the day, while tanned skin was made a symbol of holidays on the beach and rich lifestyle.

Nothing to do with a so called "Afrocentric Beauty Standard".
Damn yall don’t wanna give Black folks credit for inspiring nothing beautiful in this world.

:wow:

I guess lip injections and ass implants are inspired by the Irish or some Filipinos.

And your user name is :mjpls:

onlylno

Haitian American Descended From Slaves
Supporter
Daps
The standards of beauty have shifted in recent years. The look being promoted is no longer traditionally European.

But before 2015:

SMcBfAb.jpg

zcyaEv1.jpg

7Y1crQ1.jpg

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
Even things we’re known for, it took women of other races to make it desirable to white people - Kim kardashian and j lo made butts popular/acceptable to white people, not Buffy the body or even nicki Minaj, Angelina Jolie made white women want full lips, not Journee smollett or Megan good. Black woman can be deemed beautiful but won’t be held as the beauty standard in western societies outside of fetishization or woke pandering
You just described Eminem, the white guy that gets all 50s at a dunk contest or a standing ovation at The Apollo.

Even the fascination with PAWGS or “White Boy Summer”.

It’s the anomaly of it being outside the norm.

You know that white ice is always the coldest.

:manny:

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Although I disagree with him.

That statement could be digested both ways. It pretty much shyts on both the European and Afrocentric beauty standard.

Whenever someone says the most attractive people are bi-racial. Black people are usually the first to take offense.
He lost the benefit of the doubt with me by naming white latino women who never complained about the European beauty standard :mjlol:

OliviaTwist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Souf
Although I disagree with him.

That statement could be digested both ways. It pretty much shyts on both the European and Afrocentric beauty standard.

Whenever someone says the most attractive people are bi-racial. Black people are usually the first to take offense.

Well duh :francis:

When most people put mixed women on pedestals they aren’t talking about the female equivalent of a Jordan peele where you wouldn’t know they are biracial unless they told you. They are typically talking about light skinned light eyed looser curled hair biracials. Which is STILL closer to white than black. Why wouldn’t it be offensive for somebody to say Black is only attractive when it’s basically diluted?