What Are “European Beauty Standards”?

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
But if AKA’s are held up as the most desirable because of their complexion. Who outside of the Black community is setting that standard? The average European/Cac doesn’t even know what an AKA is.

And why do so many dark skinned Black women :cape: for Kamala Harris as their “sister girl” if her whole existence is problematic to how society will view them?
Breh, you’re not going to have an honest dialogue about this because people love to be in denial.

People threw a fit when Adele got Bantu knots or when Kim Kardashian got braids. Turn the mirror on black women wearing blonde weaves “oh that’s different, it’s not the same.”

No point in even engaging. Everyone is a victim of white supremacy in someway but not everyone wants to admit it.

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
The modern black males keeps up with the standard by dating "foreign" and "exotic" women. You get more respect and clout from other black men for having a less black woman...

Listen to many hip hop song where they describe a woman's features. Its usually a mixed woman.
And there's the bigger problem at play here--using hip hop artists to guage what the average brother is dating and/or attracted to. The reality is, most BM are dating/marrying or baby mommying very average and below average BW of all complexions. Regardless of what men say what they want....t their actions show that they rarely stick to a strict set of preferences, myself included.

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
The modern black males keeps up with the standard by dating "foreign" and "exotic" women. You get more respect and clout from other black men for having a less black woman...

Listen to many hip hop song where they describe a woman's features. Its usually a mixed woman.
What type of Black men do you hang around?

:scust:

I keep seeing people bring up the fashion industry and hip hop. That’s not the real world.

Black folks stay treating rappers and NBA players as the standard. When they are really outliers.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I agree. But I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Black woman, that was married to a Black man speak on European Beauty Standards. Most of them don’t give a damn what Europeans think about them.
You have. We all have. The past few years there were laws passed in a few states that aim to prohibit work place discrimination based on hair style.

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/cal...rican-women”-jersey-too.717325/#post-34113579

Called the Crown Act. There's a few threads about them . Advocated for by professional women who don't wish to alter their hair from its natural state to conform to "corporate unwritten standards"

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
And there's the bigger problem at play here--using hip hop artists to guage what the average brother is dating and/or attracted to. The reality is, most BM are dating/marrying or baby mommying very average and below average BW of all complexions. Regardless of what men say what they want....t their actions show that they rarely stick to a strict set of preferences, myself included.

What type of Black men do you hang around?

:scust:

I keep seeing people bring up the fashion industry and hip hop. That’s not the real world.

Black folks stay treating rappers and NBA players as the standard. When they are really outliers.

This is true. Dudes will take what they can get. But everybody can recognize when there is a pecking order. We know who gets the most attention in the real world. We know what kind of children get the most compliments for having pretty eyes and pretty hair...

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
And why do so many dark skinned Black women :cape: for Kamala Harris as their “sister girl” if her whole existence is problematic to
how society will view them?
Breh, this video breaks this all they way down:

d5810efa-0f69-4ae2-8d9a-7eb1c4969657-smallScale_HUConvocationwKamala.jpg

A picture speaks a thousand words.

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I agree. But I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Black woman, that was married to a Black man speak on European Beauty Standards. Most of them don’t give a damn what Europeans think about them.

It’s seem to be more of an issue with younger single Black women.

Which is why I asked. Who are they allowing to place this standard on them?

Gay white men in the fashion industry?

They care too because the European Beauty Standards is nothing more than saying that white women are the top females.
It really has nothing to do with looks and more to do with status.

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
First off it’s disingenuous to say it doesn’t apply to black men or women of other races.

What about all the black men over the course of American history that kept their hair low as shyt, and wouldn’t grow facial hair, so you couldn’t see their course texture?

All the Asian women getting eyelid surgery to look more western.

The Latinas straightening and bleaching the fukk outta they hair, so they can look more like white women.

The issue is that black women are like the anti thesis to the European standard of beauty. We have the furthest to go to conform. For many dark skin sistas is virtually impossible so many out us choose to rock the boat and push against the standards instead.

However, black men are like the “Asian woman” of European femininity and masculinity standards. An over exaggeration, if you will.

It’s why the Asian woman is seen as so feminine and docile that she would make the perfect sex slave.

While the black man is so masculine and head strong that he makes the perfect beast.

But it both cases European standards are still stripping yall of ur humanity.

Short hair and no beard for men is standard across the board
Dudes not getting their hair cut hide texture they do it because long hair on men was not seen as masculine at one point

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
First off it’s disingenuous to say it doesn’t apply to black men or women of other races.

What about all the black men over the course of American history that kept their hair low as shyt, and wouldn’t grow facial hair, so you couldn’t see their course texture?

All the Asian women getting eyelid surgery to look more western.

The Latinas straightening and bleaching the fukk outta they hair, so they can look more like white women.

The issue is that black women are like the anti thesis to the European standard of beauty. We have the furthest to go to conform. For many dark skin sistas is virtually impossible so many out us choose to rock the boat and push against the standards instead.

However, black men are like the “Asian woman” of European femininity and masculinity standards. An over exaggeration, if you will.

It’s why the Asian woman is seen as so feminine and docile that she would make the perfect sex slave.

While the black man is so masculine and head strong that he makes the perfect beast.

But it both cases European standards are still stripping yall of ur humanity.

You kinda contradicted yourself. You started off with the premise that Black women don’t complain about the European Beauty Standard more than other groups.

Then you proceeded to give an explanation on why the Black woman is negatively effected by the European Beauty Standard more than anyone else. ( which would help explain the heightened sensitivity)

Well maybe Black men are blissfully ignorant. But the next time I see a brother complaining about the European Beauty Standard would be the first time.

Are Black women comfortable that outside of rappers, pro athletes and the fashion industry, that their men find them attractive?

Is that good enough?

AsTheWorldBurns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
State to the Lake
And why do so many dark skinned Black women :cape: for Kamala Harris as their “sister girl” if her whole existence is problematic to how society will view them?

It’s levels to black feminism like it’s level to white feminism.

For example, you got surface level white feminists that welcome all transgender women.

and you got more militant white feminists that don’t rock with trans women at all and consider them an invasion of men into a female space.

You also have black women feminists that celebrate all black and partially black women.

And you have the more militant ones that say we should gatekeep our community and not include mixed and, sometimes even just light skin, women

87 others

Superstar
Daps
And why do they seem to only apply to Black women?

For example. I’ve never heard Black men or Asian women talk about the pressures of living up to this so called standard.

I’ve been hearing this term brought up by our sisters a lot recently.

How long has this standard existed? Where does it come from? Who is responsible for holding this up as the “standard”?
Didn't read through the thread, but European Beauty Standards are basically blonde hair/blue eyes/skinny, etc. Thing is, I don't think they really apply because the only people I ever see mentioning them are OD ugly. Like, never in my life have I heard a woman of say...Halle Berry's ilk...complain of these standards. They never stopped Meghan Good, Sanaa Lathan, Eva Mendez, Sofia Vergara, etc. If you fine - you fine:yeshrug: bytches be walking around looking like :krs: mixed with :flabbynsick: and :patrice: talking about some European Beauty Standards because that makes them feel better.