What Are “European Beauty Standards”?

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
It’s levels to black feminism like it’s level to white feminism.

For example, you got surface level white feminists that welcome all transgender women.

and you got more militant white feminists that don’t rock with trans women at all and consider them an invasion of men into a female space.

You also have black women feminists that celebrate all black and partially black women.

And you have the more militant ones that say we should gatekeep our community and not include mixed and, sometimes even just light skin, women
You also have Black feminists that don't rock with Black men at all and consider them an invasion into their lives :pachaha:

sorry for the digression :pachaha:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I agree. But I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Black woman, that was married to a Black man speak on European Beauty Standards. Most of them don’t give a damn what Europeans think about them.

It’s seem to be more of an issue with younger single Black women.

Which is why I asked. Who are they allowing to place this standard on them?

Gay white men in the fashion industry?
You seem out of touch. White beauty standards have been a thing and discussion for decades. Black women feel the pressure of them from the time they are little girls - whether they grow up around all block people or all white people, single or married, we feel them. shyt, every older black woman I talked to about interviewing and jobs back when I was in HS/college would tell us to make sure our hair was straight for interviews and some would even chide us for wearing braids in the office. It’s actually more recently black women have started to feel better about our features with the natural hair movement, wider acceptance of curvier bodies, more representation in media, etc. but the pervasive white beauty standard still apply. Just look at all the popping “black” actresses - zendaya, zazie, Zoe, tessa, Yara - most are curly hair, half breeds, we’re still being asked to conform to white standards for acceptance.

Last edited:

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
Black men are judged by the same European beauty standards to an extent. The Black men with crossover appeal to non black women tend to be the ones that look like they might be mixed with something( boris kodjoe, shemar moore, Tyson Beckford, that prince from bridgerton).

Would you put dwayne johnson and russell wilson in the same category as those men you mentioned?

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
You have. We all have. The past few years there were laws passed in a few states that aim to prohibit work place discrimination based on hair style.

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/california-passes-bill-banning-“natural-hair-discrimination-for-african-american-women”-jersey-too.717325/#post-34113579

Called the Crown Act. There's a few threads about them . Advocated for by professional women who don't wish to alter their hair from its natural state to conform to "corporate unwritten standards"
That’s not specific to women though. My son has dreads and has similar issues. And that’s more an argument about “professionalism”. I’m talking more about beauty standards.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
Would you put dwayne johnson and russell wilson in the same category as those men you mentioned?
Not Dwayne Johnson since he hasn't been 'black' since they threw an afro on him in 2005 for the movie 'be cool'

Russell Wilson just look like a nikka with a perm. Shave that hair off and he just a slightly light skinned black man to most folks

87 others

Superstar
Daps
Pay attention to the women in the threads that the black males on here make

Light skin , slim features , curly or straight hair
Okay, but are those threads made because of European beauty standards or because those women are genuinely better looking than 99.9% of the female population regardless of race? I'm about to get negged, I'm sure, but be honest with yourselves. Why are Latinas so sought after? Because of European beauty standards? Ya'll really think white women are out here getting their lips and ass done because of European beauty standards? Yeah, I don't think so. They're trying to look mixed, which like it or not - is generally a beautiful look.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Like, never in my life have I heard a woman of say...Halle Berry's ilk...complain of these standards. They never stopped Meghan Good, Sanaa Lathan, Eva Mendez, Sofia Vergara, etc.
:mjlol: TheColi.com.

A mixed woman with a nose job, a skin bleaching black woman, 2 white latinos and Sanaa Lathan.

Dense aint the word...

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
You seem out of touch. White beauty standards have been a thing and discussion for decades. Black women feel the pressure of them from the time they are little girls. shyt, every older black woman I talked to about interviewing and jobs back when I was in HS/college would tell us to make sure our hair was straight for interviews and some would even chide is for wearing braids in the office. It’s actually more recently black women have started to feel better about our features with the natural hair movement, wider acceptance of curvier bodies, more representation in media, etc. but the pervasive white beauty standard still apply. Just look at all the popping “black” actresses - zendaya, zazie, Zoe, tessa, Yara - most are curly hair, half breeds, we’re still being asked to conform to white standards for acceptance.

This is kinda bullshyt because black women in the 70's was wearing afros.

datnigDASTARDLY

catching pigeons
Daps
I agree. But I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Black woman, that was married to a Black man speak on European Beauty Standards. Most of them don’t give a damn what Europeans think about them.

It’s seem to be more of an issue with younger single Black women.

Which is why I asked. Who are they allowing to place this standard on them?

Gay white men in the fashion industry?

Wow breh...you've got to have not actually grown up with black women?

I don't have sisters, but I vividly remember all my cousins having to get that hot comb through their hair, damn near 24/7. Always getting popped upside the head because they kept moving :picard:

Why'd they do it? Because it wasn't appropriate to run around with nappy hair. That was the 80's though, things have come a long way in the last decade.

87 others

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol: TheColi.com.

A mixed woman with a nose job, a skin bleaching black woman, 2 white latinos and Sanaa Lathan.

Dense aint the word...
Of course you'd find a way to over-analyze what I said. Okay then, Bria Myles, Melyssa Ford, and Paula Patton. I can keep going forever and I'm sure you'll find something wrong with any woman I mention because you already have a narrative that you're sticking to in your head. My point was that good looking women (and men, for that matter) don't complain about beauty standards because there are no "standards" that can overshadow genuine attractiveness.

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
Miss-Universe-2021-Where-to-see-the-grand-finale-of.jpg

I've never seen anyone get surgery to make their nose wider, have you?
No.

But I have seen them risk skin cancer to live up to an “Afrocentric Beauty Standard.”

I mean nobody calls it that, but let’s be honest about what it is.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Of course you'd find a way to over-analyze what I said. Okay then, Bria Myles, Melyssa Ford, and Paula Patton. I can keep going forever and I'm sure you'll find something wrong with any woman I mention because you already have a narrative that you're sticking to in your head.
:laff: Dog you are 2 for 8 right now. Just say some non-biracial black women and you might get your point off...but you can barely do that.
No.

But I have seen them risk skin cancer to live up to an “Afrocentric Beauty Standard.”

I mean nobody calls it that, but let’s be honest about what it is.
I have never believed white women tan to "look black". That has always been a coping mechanism in my opinion