LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
@LordDeathwatch Finally finished Kingdom S1. Man this is another example of how voice acting and top notch storytelling can get you invested and really do a great job with tension even if the animation is garbage :mjlol:

Screen_Shot_2023-12-30_at_6.46.33_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-12-30_at_6.55.35_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-12-30_at_7.12.05_PM.png

Wang Yi is an example of a man who shaped this era. He was such a dominated general that the goal of the entire war was his death. Think about it in most wars generally your goal to go and conquer. But this war was caused to kill one man. That alone shows how big of a factor Wang Yi has on any war. For Qin his loss is one that is brutal to take.

Also I got to find it funny Nuan Pang killed 2 great generals Liao and now Wang Yi. Liao had a wonderful and tragic backstory. But for a woman to jump up to that status is fukking insane :damn:. The worst part if Nuan killing her is that he merely did that as a test of strength and nothing more. Meanwhile for Liao she was 1 victory away from her goal with her promise with Wang Yi. Her backstory was well executed :mjcry:.

One thing I do find funny Nuan only landed the kill because of that shot in the arrow. Dude constantly talks about might but dude didn't beat him 1 on 1. At the end of the day he didn't demostrate that he was mightier then Wang Yi. Gotta give the respect for Li Mu he achieved what was considered the impossible. And honestly Wang Yi's death should be credited to him.

Screen_Shot_2023-12-30_at_7.06.07_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-12-30_at_7.13.39_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-12-30_at_7.18.33_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-12-30_at_7.23.52_PM.png

I love how the season ends with how Wang Yi in a way hand picks Zheng and Xin to have the aptitude for the title King and Sword. By legit saying Zheng is one he is truly worth of being a King to rule the middle kingdom. At the same time Xin has the aptitude and slowly bit by bit become the great general that he seeks out to be.
Wang was an excellent, flamboyant relic of Qin's past pulled into the present by the current turmoil only to push forward the 2 new guiding stars of Qin's future on his way out, ironically snuffed out by an enemy's nation's emergent star.

Li Mu (Riboku is what he's called in the manga so I had to look that back up) is going to be a major problem going forward, moreso than anyone else.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Wang was an excellent, flamboyant relic of Qin's past pulled into the present by the current turmoil only to push forward the 2 new guiding stars of Qin's future on his way out, ironically snuffed out by an enemy's nation's emergent star.

Li Mu (Riboku is what he's called in the manga so I had to look that back up) is going to be a major problem going forward, moreso than anyone else.
We see the common troupe of mentor dying in front of our mc. But here it is executed so well. We see early on how great of a leader Zheng is as he takes back the crown. Then Xin slowly but surely showing skills of Charisma and leadership where the foundation is needed to be a general. He is already leading 300 man at the end of S1.

What I like for both is that we truly see the foundation for what Wang sees. Honestly a lot of times when this troupe is used the mentor dies too early for it to work effectively.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Looking at shows for next season since it starts tomorrow

• Continuations (which prob have some of the best show for next season)
    • Apothecary Diaries
    • Ragna Crimson
    • Shangri-La Frontier
    • Sousou no Frieren
    • Undead Unluck
  • Shows I am highly anticipating
    • Tukumichi Moon Light Fantasy S2
    • The Dangers in My Heart S2
    • Dungeon Meshi
    • Kingdom (Whenever the hell I catchup :russ: )
    • Sengoku Youko
  • Promising Originals
    • Metallic Rouge
    • Buchhigiri?!
    • Pon no Michi
  • Stuff with great source material, but uncertain regarding the anime
    • Mato Seihei no Slave
    • Bottom Tier Tomozaki S2
    • A Sign of Affection
    • The Witch and the Beast

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
We see the common troupe of mentor dying in front of our mc. But here it is executed so well. We see early on how great of a leader Zheng is as he takes back the crown. Then Xin slowly but surely showing skills of Charisma and leadership where the foundation is needed to be a general. He is already leading 300 man at the end of S1.

What I like for both is that we truly see the foundation for what Wang sees. Honestly a lot of times when this troupe is used the mentor dies too early for it to work effectively.
Very accurate analysis on the use of that trope, off the top of my head for a well known show that did it right, I'd have to say Jiraiya in Shippuden. Even though he didn't die specifically in place of Naruto, he did get to see the potential he saw in him blossom into something special and even passed on his best technique. Wang and Jiraiya are by far the exceptions to the rule though and it was a nice touch with Xin getting the halberd as well.

Another little detail, notice how Xin never changed his outfit from his days as a slave despite his success and being surrounded by all these people in the palace and on the battlefield. Man keeps it all the way real.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Very accurate analysis on the use of that trope, off the top of my head for a well known show that did it right, I'd have to say Jiraiya in Shippuden. Even though he didn't die specifically in place of Naruto, he did get to see the potential he saw in him blossom into something special and even passed on his best technique. Wang and Jiraiya are by far the exceptions to the rule though and it was a nice touch with Xin getting the halberd as well.

Another little detail, notice how Xin never changed his outfit from his days as a slave despite his success and being surrounded by all these people in the palace and on the battlefield. Man keeps it all the way real.
It's these little details you love to see because its things like these that are the signs that a series has legs. World building and character building were on point, but these aspects for Xin and Zheng were some oh shyt stuff that create such a strong foundation going forward.

Biggest thing for a lot of series is that start off good, but based on the foundation they set they can only do so much. JJK is one example where Shibuya is based off every arc that has happened before. Arrancar arc was based off the foundation of the prologue and Soul Society arc. Altho admittedly pacing would have improved this arc a lot imo.

You haves cases like AoT where the foundation was good, but it only was good till before the timeskip at the end of S3. If you are gonna extend a series beyond that foundation you started with you need to semi-restart and regroup and work on extending that or creating a new foundation.

Obviously you have cases with MHA where I would argue the foundation is faulty. First 3 seasons were cool build on the aspect of kids in the class and All For One vs One for All was a great ending to S3. But you lose All Might what do you have? Given the series is called My Hero Academia the kids should be the foundation. Problem is they really only focused on Deku, Bakugo and Shoto. ("Welcome to Demon School Iruma-Kun" is a series that does this absolutely well in comparison) And this was before Bakugo started having great character development. So I really like what they did with Shoto, but Deku just has been pretty stagnant. S6 was great, but MHA feels like a series where I really question the direction the series goes given how S6 ended.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Have anymore feature films come out not tied to an on-going series?

In the vain of like Miyazaki, Hosada, Makoto Shinkai type stuff?

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Man there is so many hype moments even in just season 1, but the way the anime presents it with the CGI is just :scust::huhldup::francis:
the escape and running back up in the palace are legit great intro arcs

you end up rooting for the MC then one of the first few people to give him respect gets damn chopped in half - but you gotta basically use your imagination because it looks like an applebees kid's menu coloring book sequence :wow:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Have anymore feature films come out not tied to an on-going series?

In the vain of like Miyazaki, Hosada, Makoto Shinkai type stuff?
Outside of the one Miyazaki just dropped this year idk, a lot of em usually end up being mid so I stopped checking as much

Almost feels like anime features are in their own version of the comic book movie era where all of the stuff with hype is based on manga

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Outside of the one Miyazaki just dropped this year idk, a lot of em usually end up being mid so I stopped checking as much

Almost feels like anime features are in their own version of the comic book movie era where all of the stuff with hype is based on manga
Well part of is that manga culture in Japan is crazy like. In Japan its more expected you have read the manga by the time the anime comes out. You see this constantly with One Piece and even recently with JJK where they publicly revealed volume 25 in Jump Fiesta. (DONT LOOK IF YOU ARE ANIME ONLY FOR JJK).

Meanwhile that seems less the case here with comic book movies. Where the outcry is much smaller. Take CSM's anime adaptation and how the Japanese fandom was not very fond of it. Do we a case here where for comic books where it was anywhere as near as loud.

Also regarding anime films a lot are based on one-shots of manga and light novels. Like JJK 0 and recently Suzume. Meanwhile any series that runs for more then 5+ manga volumes or more then 3 Light novel volumes turn into an ongoing tv adaptations where for smaller arcs you get movies out of them. Examples like Mugen Train, Reze arc in CSM, the Upcoming Overlord Movie that takes place in the middle of S4, etc.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Them ass whuppings is what make the victories that nikka gets later on, all the more fulfilling. They mastered the payoff. :ohlawd:

The only other anime I can think of where the main character takes more L's than Takimitchy is that one basketball anime that came out a few years ago where the team lost like every fukking game they played that season type shyt. :mjlol:

I remember that shyt. 50 episodes of straight L's and MC was like 4 ft tall. I would have been giving up on them hoop dreams.

R:Zero too

That nicca Subaru :to: