Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I think they need to achieve balance. Every anime can't be john wick man. That's why these shows are hot on twitter for a few weeks and disappear from people's minds. It's not because of social media or short attention spans, it's because they are using shortcuts.

That said I'm not ragging on JJK, I like it, I'm almost fully caught up.
I guess I just see it as genre specific. I don't mind a battle shounen going for action (and/or plot) heavy storytelling. There's enough other dope stuff that goes for that balance or even character heavy storytelling so having a few series that go the other way is fine with me, as long as they do it at a level like JJK (or even more bland stuff like Demon Slayer).

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Goblin Slayer S2 Ep 7

Oh god the thought of the water you have been drinking is people you grown around with JFC. I don't blame priestess for slightly breaking down like she did. Like she is come a long way, but at the same reality the rest of the gang has many years of being an adventurer over her.

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_10.22.32_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_10.22.36_AM.png

Ok this scene was great and very powerful. We also seen her saying good luck from GS perspective, but the fact she sees him off each time knowing the dangers knowing this could be the last time she sees him makes the interactions between these two hold more weight. :mjcry:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I guess I just see it as genre specific. I don't mind a battle shounen going for action (and/or plot) heavy storytelling. There's enough other dope stuff that goes for that balance or even character heavy storytelling so having a few series that go the other way is fine with me, as long as they do it at a level like JJK (or even more bland stuff like Demon Slayer).
Like yeah I agree, they are doing well given the circumstances, but there's definitely diminishing returns when it's just high octane action right into high octane action. It's not straight up Baki with it, but if they had balance I think this would be better for it, is all I'm saying.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I feel like with battle shonens you should go expecting something more simple and honesty prefer them staying that way. The ones that try to make the story over complicated are the ones that lose me.

One thing I love about Demon Slayer is that the story is simple. It's a good example of generic shonen compared to MHA which is a bad example of generic shonen. Not everything needs to deviate from the norms of the genres obviously the 3 Dark Shonens are the type of Battle Shonens I prefer (Jigo, JJK and CSM).

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Sousou no Frieren ep 11 adapted chapters 23 + 24.

We are start in a transition to the next big arc where Grant mentions that due to the dangers of traveling up north they need to have a first class mafge accomping them. And in classic Frieren fashion not only is she unregistered, but she unaware of it. Tho thats expected out of her. A needed stop to Auburst will be needed before they continue on with their journey.

Also the first part of the episode I love how they interrogated music into. Music is one of those things that can really bring up an anime. It wasn't directly mentioned, but it seems Granat found the pendulum that belonged to his dead son. Him getting confirmation that he can finally rest in peace will definitely make him happy.

Kraft is a fun character. He is able to bond with our main trio. His conversation hit home here. All of Kraft's accomplishments have been forgotten since his friends are all gone. He wants to believe in the goddess because having someone whos always watching is something he wants to believe in. You always want to receive appreciation for your accomplishments.

Frieren had that person in Heiter. While he is gone she has Stark and Fern as companions so she isn't alone like elves like Kraft. He says see you in a few centuries so casually lmao. :skip:

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_1.35.22_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_1.37.29_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_1.39.54_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_1.42.55_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_1.47.46_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_1.48.50_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_1.48.59_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_1.49.06_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_1.49.23_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_2.01.53_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_2.02.27_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_2.07.09_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_2.07.50_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_2.13.03_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_2.13.19_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_2.13.33_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-11-17_at_2.13.42_PM.png

Last edited:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I feel like with battle shonens you should go expecting something more simple and honesty prefer them staying that way. The ones that try to make the story over complicated are the ones that lose me.

One thing I love about Demon Slayer is that the story is simple. It's a good example of generic shonen compared to MHA which is a bad example of generic shonen. Not everything needs to deviate from the norms of the genres obviously the 3 Dark Shonens are the type of Battle Shonens I prefer (Jigo, JJK and CSM).
Well that's not even what I'm saying. DBZ is very simple as well, but it gives you different things to help you understand the core characters, their motivations, what they do when they aren't fighting, has easy to understand fights, builds it's world very well, has training arcs that help you understand how the characters get stronger and how their powers work, and has great payoff for that.

These new battle shonens are skipping half of that or doing some of that in half a episode and then it's right back to the fighting.

MHA is actually doing too much of the opposite and there isn't enough fighting, and doing too much plot exposition for a world that's hard to care about. They really could benefit from a timeskip to reset the tone

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Domain Expansion is too convoluted and complicated to be the iconic element of a battle shonen.

I shouldn't require Yugioh level explanations to understand what the fukk is going on :mjlol:
its convoluted as fukk and i swear gege making up shyt as they go. and the mental gymnastics needed to make JJK's power systems simple are insane and a cry for help

that shyt falls apart the minute you ask "why"

the why is because it looks cool. cursed energy = how cool does it look aka stop asking questions aka let em cook.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Undead Unluck's direction continues to impress :ehh:

They took that silly episode last week and turned it into an emotional ride. Andy got "married" to the kids teacher man it made her sacrifice so sad and heartbreaking. She literally won't die till she got married. That thing basically sucked up the zombies and entered phase 2, well lets see how they beat this thing next week.

Well that's not even what I'm saying. DBZ is very simple as well, but it gives you different things to help you understand the core characters, their motivations, what they do when they aren't fighting, has easy to understand fights, builds it's world very well, has training arcs that help you understand how the characters get stronger and how their powers work, and has great payoff for that.

These new battle shonens are skipping half of that or doing some of that in half a episode and then it's right back to the fighting.

MHA is actually doing too much of the opposite and there isn't enough fighting, and doing too much plot exposition for a world that's hard to care about. They really could benefit from a timeskip to reset the tone
I will say JJK is one of the worst examples in terms of power system and world cause how Gege writes it is beyond convoluted as you mentioned. I guess the closest you get to that would be the charity event between the schools in the 2nd half of S1, but I get what you are saying you want more time to jell with the cast. Yuji realtionships with Nanami and Gojo feel more fleshed out then Megumi and Nobra imo.

Honestly CSM's power systems is actual one of the better ones from the newer shonens imo.

its convoluted as fukk and i swear gege making up shyt as they go. and the mental gymnastics needed to make JJK's power systems simple are insane and a cry for help

that shyt falls apart the minute you ask "why"

the why is because it looks cool. cursed energy = how cool does it look aka stop asking questions aka let em cook.
Deadass Gege even admitted he was making shyt up in the author's notes in the physical copies of the manga that even he doesn't understand it. :mjlol:

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
i don’t usually rewatch episodes of anime until I’m doing a full rewatch but I’ve rewatched the last episode of JJK 3 times. Absolutely insane. Still makes no sense to me but I love it. My only real issue is why did
Megumi unleash that monster on a complete jobber :pachaha: ?You would’ve thought he would’ve unleashed that on his pops. That weak ass mfer didn’t warrant that. Also why is Sukana’s domain expansion different? I didn’t understand the explanation. And can someone explain domain expansions in general to me:russ:. I used to get the concept during the first season but I refuse to google JJK cause I’m avoiding spoilers like the plague. Like what are the conditions for one to use a domain expansion?

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
What was confusing about domains for y'all this week? :patrice: that's one of his least egregious elements imo. He does do bullshyt alot but on my reread I've noticed a lot of the times it's just nikkas forgetting stuff that got explained,

The breh above me literally just posted he forgot how they worked, a lot of y'all are refusing to say that part, then taking some moments where he WAS definitely on some bullshyt, and then throwing that blanket over the entire story :mjlol: nah nikkas it's half and half. We can call out the nonsense without over exaggerating.

I do hate the way this nikka explains stuff tho, he's re-explained simple domains like 4 different times but it's literally the same thing being used a different way :upsetfavre:Characters using binding vows left and right but extremely quickly and without explanation so people don't understand it's all the same thing, etc. I get he wants people to just remember shyt so things can happen quicker, but the wording itself is so inconsistent even if the concept is exactly the same

And these anime subtitles are very different from what the manga translations have been for years :dahell: we in a kitchen now? I'm seeing they getting clowned for the mistake, shyt had me thinking I was crazy for a sec, they gotta tighten the translations up, makes me think about how they made the wording in Tower of God anime extra confusing at times for no reason

Last edited: