Gully Bull

Love Sponge
Daps
Reppin
A fleeting childhood
This weeks Mushoku Tensei transitions into the Magic Academy arc. This is perhaps the most important period of Rudeus' lifetime so it's fitting to spend the rest of the season here, and some of next season too before moving on to what is next.

Got a bunch of character previews at the end who may be central in the story moving forward. Ariel, Luke, Nanahoshi, Zenoba, Cliff, and of course Sylphy.
If they spend 20 episodes on this part, imma be furious if the next part don’t get a movie:damn:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
bruh you been parroting that 'disgrace' shyt for damn near a decade now :laff: people will keep picking up anything as long as the content stays above a certain level

like there ain't a whole consumer base that will hop out of bed the moment a new digimon short drops :dead:
Because it's true. When you write a one shot and it gets picked up and you have to keep grinding out chapters you don't get the benefit of the meticulous level of planning that leads to long term fanbase satisfaction. The grind of being a mangaka means if you make a mistake in the direction of a series and pivot and the fans don't like that either you will likely either gonna get cancelled or continue in decline.

One Piece is a top 4 selling manga 26 years in. It's hard to keep that level of relevance that long if an overall solid level of quality isn't maintained. Most people either won't want to commit to or won't remain with a series that long.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Screen_Shot_2023-07-30_at_2.59.00_PM.png

:mjlol:

Honestly kind of think it would have been better to have whaat these past 4 episodes covered by a movie. And S2 starting next episode imo. Tho haven't read the novel :patrice:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I mean weekly mangas isn't a sustainable thing for the mangaka. I much prefer biweekly and monthly once the mangaka has set their foot with what they want to do with their series. You either get a quality drop or they will go on hiatus. You can't be surprised that majority of this try to do too much with their series and it falls off.

I prefer a shorter series like Jigo that does it thing, but doesn't overstay its welcome. The funny thing with that series before I read everyone was saying how the ending was rushed. But it clearly ended in a manner that Yuuji Kaku wanted it to end basically.

A lot of times with these weekly series there are clear points where they could end. But they just extend it without really having a plan for it.
As a mangaka how much can you invest in a series though? Kishimoto wrote Naruto and it took off but Samurai 8 flopped and he's back to writing Naruto under another name. Most mangaka don't have the luxury of creating something as spiraling an One Piece and having it enjoy that level of success for that long. It's the Batman die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. The longer a series goes the higher the chances of a major misstep leading to a pissed fanbase.

One Piece is an anomality. I personally dislike how long it has ran. That's a major putoff to it. Case Closed and Hajime no Ippo both release in weekly magazines, have been ongoing for decades, and neither are in the top 10 selling manga of 2022 let alone the top 5. One Piece is the LeBron James of manga.

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
That’s the thing longevity & consistency

Name a series that constantly content like One Piece does the animation in the anime might not be up to par at times

But the World Building, Characters ( Main & Side), Callbacks, Storytelling One Piece does on a different level than most they haven’t been one of the top selling Anime/Mangas for no reason
Alright so Drake is one of the Top 5 greatest singles artists of all time. I mean it's right there in the numbers and it's been maintained for years. :blessed:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Alright so Drake is one of the Top 5 greatest singles artists of all time. I mean it's right there in the numbers and it's been maintained for years. :blessed:
It's impossible to deny what Drake has done even if you don't like his music. He's been on top of the rap game for like 13 years. Take say DMX. after about 8 years he wasn't on top anymore and really shorter than that. By Grand Champ his career was fading so maybe closer to 5 years.

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
If they spend 20 episodes on this part, imma be furious if the next part don’t get a movie:damn:

I like this arc a lot, but 20 episodes would be too much even for me :russ:this season will need the tonal shift of the labyrinth arc then will probably end it there.

we do need a movie of you know what fight though down the line.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Dark Gathering just adapted Ch. 4 in this episode. And another very solid good episode. In this episode they added more to the video tape curse. It more so goes into more detailed on what happened to the cursed spririt. It adds more depth for it since you can see the bullying. Makes the reveal for the spirit's life as a human more impactful.

Beyond that this episode focused more so on Kei's motivations going forward. And also a bigger focus on Eiko's character. A lot has been shown on Eiko has been there for Kei, but the same can be said for Kei with Eiko. One thing for sure is that the ending of the episode with regards to Eiko will get a good reaction out of people.

Also they changed the censored part of the episode from a SJ logo to Yayoi's eye pupil was a funny change :mjlol:

Screen_Shot_2023-07-30_at_4.05.55_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-07-30_at_4.08.47_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-07-30_at_4.08.55_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-07-30_at_4.17.22_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-07-30_at_4.17.25_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-07-30_at_4.19.35_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-07-30_at_4.20.36_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-07-30_at_4.20.41_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2023-07-30_at_4.20.54_PM.png

Also Kenichi Kondou (Dark Gathering Mangaka) drew the following celebrating ep 4.

Last edited:

Gully Bull

Love Sponge
Daps
Reppin
A fleeting childhood
I like this arc a lot, but 20 episodes would be too much even for me :russ:this season will need the tonal shift of the labyrinth arc then will probably end it there.

we do need a movie of you know what fight though down the line.

I wouldn’t even be mad if they tank the whole budget for the fight and everything leading up to it is stick figures

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Ludeus with one of the GOAT thots and can't take advantage of it :mjcry: Of course a grown ass woman wont make his ED go away :sitdown: :lolbron:

Gotta be honest, I wasn't expecting Vol. 7 to take 4 whole ass episodes, maybe the SOL portion of the story gets speed up somehow :jbhmm:

spoilers ahead, don't read if you haven't read the source material
I always guessed this first cour ends with Rudeus finding out about Sylphie and getting his dikk to work again :dead: not sure what else would ep. 12 be about.

The GOAT :damn: :wow:

Sakuragi shaving his head as penance :wow:

I'm going to watch the new movie this Thursday :blessed: