tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Breh, it’s fukkin crazy. I think a big reason is that US voice actors are a lot more limited and doing more things or something.

I’m surprised your daughters aren’t #subgang. How that happen? Y’all should be enjoying the shows together in dub lmao.

Damn dub taken so long. The stress is something else being a month or more behind.

fukk waiting that long

:pacspit::pacspit:
Sounds about time for you to join sub gang :mjgrin:

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Bro you got me fukked up if you think I'm sitting back waiting on a dub. :mjlol:

Too many years deep into that subtitle life for that, it's literally how I got into it. Ironically my youngest prefers sub but the oldest won't let her get ahead of her so on shows they both watch, it's mandatory dub. I felt bad for her so I told her she can watch the sub she just have to not spoil anything so her sister doesn't realize and she admitted she couldn't do it and would end up running her sisters fade over slipping up.:deadrose:
See, I’m coming from literally nothing but dub and I was watching when dub was at an all time high with Toonami.

Then when sub became more popular with streaming, I didn’t watch anime back then.

So when I started again I literally had all the dubs, except only new shows.

The only sub that I would pick over dub is GT and that’s because of the music.

Man that sub music is something else.

:ohlawd: :ohlawd:

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Sounds about time for you to join sub gang :mjgrin:
I am #subgang for sure with GT, DS, RoK, and AOT.

I can’t with Bleach because I grinded all the episodes in dub.

It depends on if I’m watching something new or not, but usually I’m watching dub.

I think Call of the Night sub is better than dub as well.

HIDIVE dub sucks except for Abyss.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I am #subgang for sure with GT, DS, RoK, and AOT.

I can’t with Bleach because I grinded all the episodes in dub.

It depends on if I’m watching something new or not, but usually I’m watching dub.

I think Call of the Night sub is better than dub as well.

HIDIVE dub sucks except for Abyss.
The thing with japanese novel and manga adaptations is that not are the voice actors more talented and are trained more. But they are fit to the specific roles of the cast. Oshi no Ko had a few examples where Rie Takahashi had to settle voicing AI because another VA was a better fit voicing Akane. (She wanted to voice her cause it was her favorite character from the manga apparently.)

It sounds corny but they actually become the characters where with dubs just is the VA's playing a character.

I agree with @LordDeathwatch you watch japanese dubs for so long that you can't switch off basically. Adding on the fact dubs are always behind the subs beyond special circumstances.

Now I do admit as we get more Chinese, Korean, etc stuff getting anime. I just go to the english dub for those cause I really don't try to read more then novel and manga because I damn near read too much stuff as it is already, so I don't have a perception of these characters before hand. You either have their original language be something I don't really watch which is a much weirder adjustment then English. Also I don't trust Japanese studios to put the same effort in a non japanese adaptation so I am more then comfortable waiting for the dub.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
The thing with japanese novel and manga adaptations is that not are the voice actors more talented and are trained more. But they are fit to the specific roles of the cast. Oshi no Ko had a few examples where Rie Takahashi had to settle voicing AI because another VA was a better fit voicing Akane. (She wanted to voice her cause it was her favorite character from the manga apparently.)

It sounds corny but they actually become the characters where with dubs just is the VA's playing a character.

I agree with @LordDeathwatch you watch japanese dubs for so long that you can't switch off basically. Adding on the fact dubs are always behind the subs beyond special circumstances.

Now I do admit as we get more Chinese, Korean, etc stuff getting anime. I just go to the english dub for those cause I really don't try to read more then novel and manga because I damn near read too much stuff as it is already, so I don't have a perception of these characters before hand. You either have their original language be something I don't really watch which is a much weirder adjustment then English. Also I don't trust Japanese studios to put the same effort in a non japanese adaptation so I am more then comfortable waiting for the dub.
Yeah I get it if that’s how you started, watching dub is how I started. You tend to stick with what you mostly watch.

But this made me wonder….

Where were you guys watching subs at back in the days?

I’m talking about decades ago because growing up, outside of finding random shops that had DBZ movies in Japanese that weren’t out yet in the US, I only had dub to watch.

There wasn’t even a channel that was sub except DBZ telemundo.

Everything I ever saw anime wise on TV and in movie stores was straight dub, so I never really had a chance to watch sub like how I watched dub.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Yeah I get it if that’s how you started, watching dub is how I started. You tend to stick with what you mostly watch.

I’m talking about decades ago because growing up, outside of finding random shops that had DBZ movies in Japanese that weren’t out yet in the US, I only had dub to watch.

Everything I ever saw anime wise on TV and in movie stores was straight dub, so I never really had a chance to watch sub like how I watched dub.
I wasn't watching heavy back then, but I would usually torrent stuff because popular stuff usually got subtitles. Then there were some streaming sites that would have shows, and I would watch there.

It's so much easier today to access anime because of so many streaming services that are affordable. Plus, many already sub to services like Netflix, Disney +, hulu, and prime, which makes it easier to check out their anime section.

Figaro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 36 Chambers
10-11 episodes in to Vinland Saga season 2 & what I’m I exactly watching here

Farm work & chopping down trees & shyt

jags-fan-wth.gif

Balla

Superstar
Daps
I wasn't watching heavy back then, but I would usually torrent stuff because popular stuff usually got subtitles. Then there were some streaming sites that would have shows, and I would watch there.

It's so much easier today to access anime because of so many streaming services that are affordable. Plus, many already sub to services like Netflix, Disney +, hulu, and prime, which makes it easier to check out their anime section.
Yeah that’s what I was saying. I can see watching sub now but I didn’t grow up having a way to watch it.

If there were websites where you could watch anime that wasn’t out in the US I didn’t know about it.

Actually now I’m assuming that’s how y’all had to watch it back in the day.

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC

My cousin had a connect and would give us tapes with the subtitles and this was back when the subtitles used to be late or early AF between scenes. The dubs were worse though, ol mouth still moving but no audio type shyt.

Thank God the industry has progressed, it's ridiculously easy to get much higher quality versions of each.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset

illegal streaming sites

and im sure we all know that one person that truly was a weaboo and actually had the tapes/dvds from japan forreal :yeshrug:

looking back now, that shyt was the dark ages :wow:

Balla

Superstar
Daps
My cousin had a connect and would give us tapes with the subtitles and this was back when the subtitles used to be late or early AF between scenes. The dubs were worse though, ol mouth still moving but no audio type shyt.

Thank God the industry has progressed, it's ridiculously easy to get much higher quality versions of each.

illegal streaming sites

and im sure we all know that one person that truly was a weaboo and actually had the tapes/dvds from japan forreal :yeshrug:

looking back now, that shyt was the dark ages :wow:
Yeah I remember watching some tapes.

They ain’t have no subs though, so I was making up what they was saying.

That shyt was straight Japanese

:mjlol: :mjlol: