REKT

Pro
Daps
You guys hating on PSYCHO-PASS :beli:

Anyway, I'm on Mirai Nikki and I can say that I hate the main character. I don't know if it's a special genre (@winb83 ?) but the shy-cowardly-emo protagonist is unbearable. Was the same in Tokyo Ghoul too though the last 10 minutes of the last episode in TG saved it all but damn I hate that.

I agree, I don't understand why all of these shounen shows love using the naive and cowardly male with typical ideals as their main character. Every main character doesn't have to a be a badass action hero, but there's a bunch of personality traits they could use instead of the typical one.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Let me save you a huge disappointment.

Sword Art Online is only good for half the first season. After that the show falls off and never fully recovers. The second half of the first season is pretty rough. The first half of the second series is decent at best. I haven't finished the second half of the second series but half of that is some side content that totally put me off. The other half, Mother Rosario, is supposed to be good eventually I'll watch it but I'm in no hurry.

The main issue with Sword Art Online is it's gets derailed and turns into a half-hearted half-assed harem where none of the chicks who each get dedicated story arcs stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting with the main character but you must endure their arcs anyway. You watch them fall in love with Kirito and see their disappointment when they realize they can't have him. You'll know this because at a certain point fairly early in the show the main character's relationship status becomes clear.

I'm all for a good romance in a show but Sword Art Online is a text book example of romance getting introduced into a show and it turning to shyt because of it. The silver lining of all this is the stuff that happens after the second series has nothing to do with romance. I've heard the author took the whole harem and threw them in the trash and stripped Kirito of his Gary Stu status. I've seen it described as the author from Sword Art basically wanting to write an entirely new series but just calling it Sword Art Online when it has nothing in common with anything from before it in that series.

Ugh. That sounds pretty bad, especially considering I personally don't even care for romance (in animes) much in the first place. IMO most anime romance is lame anyway, I tend to prefer for animes to deal with it offscreen (ie. DBZ) or just not have it in the first place (ie. One Piece). Not saying that I hate for there to be any romance at all, but I generally don't like when that becomes the focus.

You have any recommendations for shonen/seinen type stuff (ie. with action) that's good (ie. well-written and interesting) but goes easy on the romance stuff?

Watching me some One Piece and Fairy Tail at the moment.

Hope you got a lot of time, OP is a great series but it's long as fukk and it can take you a minute to get into it.

Last time I tried Fairy Tail I dropped it after a couple eps, but I may give it another try. Nothing about it seems particularly bad, I just didn't find the plot particularly interesting.

IceDragon

All Star
Daps
Right now i'm watching Gungrave i remember watching a few episodes years ago on G4 but never got too far. Some people were telling me to skip episode 1 and i think people were saying that in this thread also so i did. I haven't caught up on pretty much any of the current anime being released now though.

Last edited:

The Villain

Superstar
Daps
Shirobako is my shyt right now. if you ever wanted to see what shyt is like in the anime industry you need to watch it. it's informative and hilarious.

that damn fukkup Tarou always causing problems:mjlol:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Right now i'm watching Gungrave i remember watching a few episodes years ago on G4 but never got too far. Some people were telling me to skip episode 1 and i think people were saying that in this thread also so i did. I haven't caught up on pretty much any of the current anime being released now though.

Yeah, episode 1 is basically a slightly different version of episode 21 (or somewhere around there), dropped at the beginning of the series because that's basically where the storyline of the video game begins (most of the series is a prequel to it).

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
CACarot said:
@Liu Kang I kinda feel you on that main character from future diary. I mean we get it , you don't want to die this is strange and a girl that is a psycho is obsessed with you. But dude is crying and acting like a soft shy fakkit is annoying. I hope he gains some balls like the protagonist from tokyo ghoul did at some point.

He does get some balls and becomes #HOH. I'm not gonna spoil the end, but I will say it's :damn:.......and..........:sadcam: at the same time.

Got my hands on an uncensored version of Blood-C..........:lolbron:

Figaro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 36 Chambers
Kill la Kill is next for me.

Just watched the episode of Kuroko no Basuke where that school are just fukking up Kiyoshi every chance they get on the court & even dropping the peoples elbow & looking over him like :shaq:

But then they are like :merchant: when he rose back up like the Undertaker.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
You guys hating on PSYCHO-PASS :beli:

Anyway, I'm on Mirai Nikki and I can say that I hate the main character. I don't know if it's a special genre (@winb83 ?) but the shy-cowardly-emo protagonist is unbearable. Was the same in Tokyo Ghoul too though the last 10 minutes of the last episode in TG saved it all but damn I hate that.

Was disappointed (kinda) by the end of Fate Stay Night because I really thought it was a short series. Now I gotta wait til Spring '15 to get my dose of pure crack :sadcam:
Many of these shows have spineless male leads. Blame Evangelion.

Pete Wrigley

Twerk, Petunia, Twerk!
Supporter
Daps
Yo I was trying to watch bebop and it's pretty average....

Not this shyt again...
seinfeld-gif.gif