8. Love is hard for otaku
9. Misfit demon academy
10. Demon slayer

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO

I just don’t trust the opinions of try hard snobs or cats that have delusions of grandeur.

At the end of the day, everyone likes what they like and it’s all good. For the most part most of us like the same shyt

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Black Clover is what happens when many of the legends retire and there's nobody left to fill the void. Eventually something that's a bit better than average comes along and people are starved enough to herald it as the next thing. It's like Steve Urkel and Laura Winslow it just keeps trying until it wears you down. There's some solid characters in the cast but it's still frothy with one note gag characters. It's like a cut above Fairy Tail in terms of quality.

While I haven't seen enough of Jujutsu Kaisen it at least out of the gate starts way better than Black Clover. I think it has better potential to actually be a legitimately great series rather than a slightly better than mediocre one. Then again I thought the same thing about My Hero Academia but that series could never get a handle on how to pace itself.

One Piece was a derivative of Dragonball but at some point it stood on it's own out of Dragonball's shadow and became it's own thing and established itself as a legendary series. Fairy Tail was a popular series but I think everybody knew it was a derivative of One Piece and I don't think it ever really got out of the shadow of that. Black Clover just feels like a derivative of both Naruto and Bleach and I really question if it will even do like One Piece and stand as a work of it's own.

That being said all these shows gotta get to the endgame because both Naruto and Bleach hurt themselves with their weaker endgames. Bleach ruined it's legacy with it's.

Again.... I like JJK. I think it’s a decent show so far. And many are hyping the best is yet to come.

But for now it feels like it’s getting a little overhyped based on its unknown verses what it’s actually produced thus far. I don’t feel like it’s earned that yet.

Now a show like Demon Slayer where the same thing was done? Oh yea.... they earned that shyt:whoo:

When some of y’all was doing that that same too early stanning when it was in the same places JJK is now ep wise. fukk it.... that show had earned it:whew:
Demon Slayer... Jujutsu Kaisen... My Hero Academia... Black Clover...

I think the same about all these classic shonen animes that are supposed to be the new carriers of the torch...

It's the writing that hurts them...

But since quality animation is more accessible, they can get away with poor narratives and ill-exploited themes because they look flashy :hubie:

Kishimoto knew how to write compelling shyt (up to a certain point) because he trained for that shyt. These new dudes' pen game is just not it and even they know it (JJK's author).

Granted I gotta give Black Clover another chance.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I just don’t trust the opinions of try hard snobs or cats that have delusions of grandeur.

At the end of the day, everyone likes what they like and it’s all good. For the most part most of us like the same shyt

Y'all ain't too bad because y'all watch stuff you actually enjoy and not trying impress nobody. Despite how much I'll be joking/talk shyt on here about One Piece or MHA. I'm glad people making the attempt to read/watch whatever. That's literally how I started.:myman:

Gully Bull

Love Sponge
Daps
Reppin
A fleeting childhood
This week I spent some time catching up on a few titles

Newest ep of AoT was :wow:

Took a break from watching Black Clover because I think I watched 120 episodes in like three weeks? I just watched the latest season and I’m intrigued. That Asta yelling and all the side characters never changing is :picard: at times tho.

finished season 2 of Fire force :mjgrin:

I don’t read manga personally so I’m at the mercy of these studios. I saw y’all’s lists and imma start Mob psycho tonight

On a side note, does Tokyo Ghoul ever pick up? I made it through like 6 episodes and got bored with it

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
took a while to think of a top 20 WOAT list. I have less shytty anime in my completed catalog than I thought.

my list would go something like -

Elfen Lied
Berserk 2016
Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro Chan
Gantz
Tenjou Tenge
Hatsukoi Monster

*gap*

Oruchuban Ebichu
Sukinayo
Seiren
Onegai Teacher
Peter Grill
One Room
Dragon Ball GT
Sasameki Koto
Koi to Uso
Rumbling Hearts
Naruto The Last
Maison Ikkoku Kanketsu-Hen...apart from the original TV series, which is a classic
the two seasons of Sword Art Online I watched
Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor...not to be mistaken for Captain Tylor

some of those have good manga. Adaptation just sucks.

Last edited:

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Demon Slayer... Jujutsu Kaisen... My Hero Academia... Black Clover...

I think the same about all these classic shonen animes that are supposed to be the new carriers of the torch...

It's the writing that hurts them...

But since quality animation is more accessible, they can get away with poor narratives and ill-exploited themes because they look flashy :hubie:

A lot of anime listed is promotional material for manga sales. They bust they budget on delivering well animated, while at least being servicable to their source material. They deliver the rush thru these well animated fights, and close on cliff hangers. By the end of the season, you wondering what's going to happen later. Is the anime going to come back for another season? If it doesn't, we are going to stock up on this manga.

Storywise, I think these stories are serviceable but I wouldn't say award winning. They aren't generic either, but my main critique, I'm coming from old head point of view, They write within the confounds of a formula established from previous generation, leave not a lot of room to experiment and better that genre. In other words, they aren't adding any new conventions, they are simply using and refining the formula.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Storywise, I think these stories are serviceable but I wouldn't say award winning. They aren't generic either, but my main critique, I'm coming from old head point of view, They write within the confounds of a formula established from previous generation, leave not a lot of room to experiment and better that genre. In other words, they aren't adding any new conventions, they are simply using and refining the formula

Isn't that writing in general tho? you dont have constant breakthroughs in any art form like that and it gets harder as time goes on, only series right now about to potentially land in goated territory is AoT imo and that's fine :manny: there are still levels between the others that are interesting. shyt happens in waves

There was tons of bullshyt coming out back in the day too, but the industry changed, so the volume of series changed with it

IShotTheSheriff

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
@winb83 @Mr. Negative @LauderdaleBoss @LordDeathwatch

I’ve completed Death Note. Here’s what I thought about that second half.

(SPOILERS)

My honest opinion is that it’s a GREAT show and concludes as it should. The main character has it coming and I see no other way to have justifiably ended his reign of terror.

L’s legacy wins and I grew to like him a lot as a character. Especially when he called Light a friend (whether it was authentic or not, they definitely had a great deal of respect for one another)

No, N isn’t L by a long shot but that wasn’t the point to begin with. I don’t feel comparing the two is necessarily needed to have a complete review even. They share similarities in ways of thinking due to obvious reasons but aside from that it’s a different story after L dies. It’s a nice touch that even after life... L is the downfall of Kira ultimately.

Ryuk did the most Ryuk shyt possible at the end. It made sense. Easy come, easy go. They were both simply bored. As above, so below.

This is one of the shortest series I’ve ever watched and can find myself watching again. I usually don’t watch ANYTHING twice.

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
@winb83 @Mr. Negative @LauderdaleBoss @LordDeathwatch

I’ve completed Death Note. Here’s what I thought about that second half.

(SPOILERS)

My honest opinion is that it’s a GREAT show and concludes as it should. The main character has it coming and I see no other way to have justifiably ended his reign of terror.

L’s legacy wins and I grew to like him a lot as a character. Especially when he called Light a friend (whether it was authentic or not, they definitely had a great deal of respect for one another)

No, N isn’t L by a long shot but that wasn’t the point to begin with. I don’t feel comparing the two is necessarily needed to have a complete review even. They share similarities in ways of thinking due to obvious reasons but aside from that it’s a different story after L dies. It’s a nice touch that even after life... L is the downfall of Kira ultimately.

Ryuk did the most Ryuk shyt possible at the end. It made sense. Easy come, easy go. They were both simply bored. As above, so below.

This is one of the shortest series I’ve ever watched and can find myself watching again. I usually don’t watch ANYTHING twice.

Great analysis, we're of a similar mind as well in regards to the conclusion. :ehh:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
A lot of anime listed is promotional material for manga sales. They bust they budget on delivering well animated, while at least being servicable to their source material. They deliver the rush thru these well animated fights, and close on cliff hangers. By the end of the season, you wondering what's going to happen later. Is the anime going to come back for another season? If it doesn't, we are going to stock up on this manga.

Storywise, I think these stories are serviceable but I wouldn't say award winning. They aren't generic either, but my main critique, I'm coming from old head point of view, They write within the confounds of a formula established from previous generation, leave not a lot of room to experiment and better that genre. In other words, they aren't adding any new conventions, they are simply using and refining the formula.
Yeah, Demon Slayer is probably the perfect example of what you describe.

For the others though... My critique about their writing goes a little deeper than that.

Personally, I might not mind that much a story being generic and relying on tired tropes. I'm not requiring them to be innovative like that (up to a certain extent).

My thing is, I feel like they're not even using the formula well.

Maybe this is because for a trope to well exploited, it has to fit in an overall well structured narrative. And since the web on which rely the tropes is falling apart due to poor writing, they collapse as well. It's probably part of the problem. I saw this especially in My Hero Academia which consistently tries to go for classic moments (reusing known tropes) without appropriate build up and repeatedly misses the mark.

Other times, it reads like a kid fanfiction trying to imitate what a manga is like - here I'm thinking about the Jujutsu Kaisen's character development scenes that just don't make no sense. The tropes are not the problem. It's just badly written.