42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
The second season cements Mika as the goat gundam pilot dethroning Kira “Jesus” Yamato. Kira might have more talent but Mika is an animal.
@Bryan Danielson too busy trying to play the part of a hater to hear me. Talk to em :wow:

jA8QeTR.gif

:scust:

Mika will fukk your whole shyt up then cave your chest in

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
Finished all 96 episodes of Maison Ikkoku. I loved what it had to say about the grieving process of a widow and how you can't put a timetable on the recovery from losing a spouse; every individual handles loss on their own terms. Kyoko had just buried her husband and immediately had guys lining up begging to take her hand in marriage. Her own parents were pushing marriage onto her assuming that would lead to personal happiness.

Hits on the societal pressure females face to get married in young adulthood and how they're not expected to prioritize anything else in life. I would've liked to see those expectations subverted and for Kyoko/Asuna seek agency for themselves along the lines of a Kate Chopin protag, but at every opportunity for that to happen there would be a misunderstanding that would take the rest of the episode to resolve. The comedy wound up killing the opportunity to develop the more serious themes further, but this also made the show more accessible and one of the more popular anime of the 80's so it's hard to say it should've been done differently.

Couldn't have handled the relationship between Godai and Kyoko much better. He went from a directionless kid to a responsible man who knew what he wanted in life and got it in the end, and it felt like he earned it because it took him 4-5 years to get his shyt together, and it took Kyoko the same period to get over her pain, so by the end it really felt like they'd grown enough to be ready to accept each other.

It's sad that Rumiko Takahashi never wrote anything like this ever again and at the age of 60 is probably out of time. She's widely recognized as one the greatest rom com writers in the history of the industry but only once has she ever written a convincing drama and this is it.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Strawberry Panic is better than it has any business being. I haven't watched too many outright yuri shows but this is the best one I've seen.

Marezzy

RIP my Nikka Zooboomafo 🕊️11-20-2014🕊️
Daps
Reppin
Dallas,Tx
Devilman - Crybaby

Sex, drugs, hip-hop influence. But not for the faint of heart. If you the depressed type, I advise you not to watch. This got Evangilion ending looking like a stroll in the park smelling the flowers.

What was the evangilion ending?? I never understood it.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
What was the evangilion ending?? I never understood it.
Shinji's pops tried to make humanity all become one being in that LCL goop so he could reunite with his dead wife and Shinji rejected it so people could retain their individuality.

Slic Ric

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Only thing I really dislike about MHA is the relationship between the Midroyia and Bakugo (probably misspelt both). It's really forced and the latter HATES the former for no reason, and literally HATES him. Also it's not even a storyline where they once were friends when they were young, Bakugo been a grade A a$$hole to him since day 1 :mjlol:

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Only thing I really dislike about MHA is the relationship between the Midroyia and Bakugo (probably misspelt both). It's really forced and the latter HATES the former for no reason, and literally HATES him. Also it's not even a storyline where they once were friends when they were young, Bakugo been a grade A a$$hole to him since day 1 :mjlol:

They haven't gotten into that part of story yet for the show, but it does get explained.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I'm rewatching City Hunter still. Up to episode 16 or so.... Its a lot different on rewatch (this dude would've been murdered by #metoo now lol)

One thing that these older shows do well is writing. They manage to fit a whole complete thought/theme into 15+ minutes or so with enough time on the side to fill the screen with action/comedy/development while shows these days are completely lost on that end.

I might stick to retro for a while and start marathoning new shyt as it comes out - when people can sort out what's worth watching and what isn't.