Welp...Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo now in legal dispute over NEPTUNES name rights

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I don't know the business but saying you played keys here and there is also vague. i'm not just assuming that P is in the wrong here. His career post neptunes is longer than their run. What was Chad doing all this time?
There's nothing to get... He's not on the credits

Anytime he played the keys for anything, his name should be SOMEWHERE.. They completed snaked his contributions but made sure to keep them on the album and pay themselves for it..

Push should have spoken up too dammit. That's wild

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
There's nothing to get... He's not on the credits

Anytime he played the keys for anything, his name should be SOMEWHERE.. They completed snaked his contributions but made sure to keep them on the album and pay themselves for it..

Push should have spoken up too dammit. That's wild
he didn't say what songs he played on or if they made the album. hence i said he is vague. if you are owed something tally it up and give us notes. because my point is Pharrell does the same level of work with or without him and has a much more prolific consistent career. Chad always talks about doing shyt with minimal output without Pharrell. they don't come off like equal partners to me. one of them is the vision and the other is a studio musician. so he laid down some keys... did they make the final album, what songs is he playing on? he can't even say that. you ever see producers claim their work? they will tell you exactly what they playing and where... what part what song. not i was in the studio and played some keys...

I followed both their careers from when they stopped doing neptunes shyt and even before the re emergence of N.E.R.D. Chad been a slacking procrastinating mofo for decades. He only get mentioned when he come back around Pharrell. Pharrell has scored movies and shyt without dude around. why are we pretending they are equal partners?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
he didn't say what songs he played on or if they made the album. hence i said he is vague. if you are owed something tally it up and give us notes. because my point is Pharrell does the same level of work with or without him and has a much more prolific consistent career. Chad always talks about doing shyt with minimal output without Pharrell. they don't come off like equal partners to me. one of them is the vision and the other is a studio musician. so he laid down some keys... did they make the final album, what songs is he playing on? he can't even say that. you ever see producers claim their work? they will tell you exactly what they playing and where... what part what song. not i was in the studio and played some keys...

I followed both their careers from when they stopped doing neptunes shyt and even before the re emergence of N.E.R.D. Chad been a slacking procrastinating mofo for decades. He only get mentioned when he come back around Pharrell. Pharrell has scored movies and shyt without dude around. why are we pretending they are equal partners?

Well, people still credit Pharrell solely for work that BOTH of them did. And we don't see Pharrell doing much to change that narrative. They've done music separately, but Pharrell has more output.

With Chad and Pharrell, their partnership isn't like other co-producers. Listening to solo Chad productions and solo Pharrell productions still sound like Neptunes tracks. Even though more recent Pharrell productions sound nothing like The Neptunes.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Well, people still credit Pharrell solely for work that BOTH of them did. And we don't see Pharrell doing much to change that narrative. They've done music separately, but Pharrell has more output.

With Chad and Pharrell, their partnership isn't like other co-producers. Listening to solo Chad productions and solo Pharrell productions still sound like Neptunes tracks. Even though more recent Pharrell productions sound nothing like The Neptunes.
which work. name it.

saying Pharrell has more output is an understatement. his solo post Neptunes career is longer than their time together. so anyone pretending he needs to steal from Chad has to make their case. Most people who worked with them will tell you Pharrell comes up with the ideas for the melodies and hooks, he has the entire vision that is why he can work competently outside their partnership while Chad is skilled he is not the visionary, they are not equals

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
which work. name it.

saying Pharrell has more output is an understatement. his solo post Neptunes career is longer than their time together. so anyone pretending he needs to steal from Chad has to make their case. Most people who worked with them will tell you Pharrell comes up with the ideas for the melodies and hooks, he has the entire vision that is why he can work competently outside their partnership while Chad is skilled he is not the visionary, they are not equals
Over a decade ago, around the time of Clipse’s second album, Pharrell had an interview and was asked about why Chad’s name was missing from the credits but it was still being credited as The Neptunes. Pharrell responded it was his way of still showing love to The Neptunes.

Around this time, Chad went out to DJ as a duo with some anglo dude calling themselves “MSSLCMMND”.

My theory is at that time, Chad was going through the end of his first marriage and got bored with the music industry grind.

shazam

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Over a decade ago, around the time of Clipse’s second album, Pharrell had an interview and was asked about why Chad’s name was missing from the credits but it was still being credited as The Neptunes. Pharrell responded it was his way of still showing love to The Neptunes.

Around this time, Chad went out to DJ as a duo with some anglo dude calling themselves “MSSLCMMND”.

My theory is at that time, Chad was going through the end of his first marriage and got bored with the music industry grind.

and that was 18 years ago, and he's been less involved with the neptunes ever since. the credits reflect that, because he has barely any credits on seeing sounds (2007) and NERD (2017) but is credited on 10 songs on nothing (2010).

i saw that pusha story suggesting this was lawyer nonsense. that's what it seems like

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
and that was 18 years ago, and he's been less involved with the neptunes ever since. the credits reflect that, because he has barely any credits on seeing sounds (2007) and NERD (2017) but is credited on 10 songs on nothing (2010).

i saw that pusha story suggesting this was lawyer nonsense. that's what it seems like
I’ll add that I suspect his new anglo wife plays a part in all of this.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
which work. name it.

There's two different things going on and you seem to be on the side of "who did more work"

And that's not anybody's point.. You can do 99% of the work... Guess what? I still want my fukking credit for the 1%... Here's where it gets real funky.. Y0ou can do 99% of the work, but if the contract says we split 50/50 regardless, THAT'S YOUR DUMB ASS FAULT FOR SIGNING THAT CONTRACT.. That doesn't mean that when you feel like it, you get to change shyt up, take shyt, remove me or anything else NOT IN THE CONTRACT

Seems like the Roots, Pharrell signed up to be The Neptunes and split earnings. Chad fades away and the contract don't change fam. You either buy him out, continue to pay him or quit and leave yourself. Just because you navigated a way to fukk him out the deal, don't make it right cause you doing the work. That's LAW... contract law. Which is why he's going to lose the lawsuit with ease

You think Chad faded away and now he's just fukking up his best friends name and rep and begging for scraps he's not owed and did zero work on..... cause reasons?