Welcome to Prime Time, B*tch! The Official Top Ten Horror Movie List Voting Thread

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Fair enough breh. And I think horror has been quite the factor this past decade it's just a matter of whether we like everything out. Sadly from 2004 until 09, no one wanted to compete with Saw on a major level but we still had studio releases of horror flicks in theaters during that time: High Tension, Touristas, just to name two off the top of my head, along with countless remakes and J-horror remakes. Then Paranormal Activity came out, crushed a few buildings, and we've been on that path and now Blumhouse is putting out horror flicks every year. We still get a lot of them, just a question if taste I guess

That's why I said foreign when I quoted Uncle_Ruckus. Foreign horror is fine. American horror has been running on fumes. To put it into perspective 3 of the current biggest horror franchises ("Saw", "Insidious", and "The Conjuring") are by one guy, James Wan.

Fred.

EarlyMaridia

All Star
Daps
If you want to keep it real on the Last House on the Left, the og did the exact same thing the modern remake did, in terms of escalation of violence, with the exception of it remaking The Virgin Spring. :yeshrug:

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Well I can't argue with you since you are a true horror buff, I like a lot of horror movies that are cheesy, like the Texas Chainsaw remakes cause they are more fun to watch and make fun of. If you don't have a dumb blonde girl running to the stairs instead of the exit, I'm probably not going to enjoy it. I love comedy with my horror. Thank Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer for that.

I like comedy horror and I call them "fun horror" movies too and I love lots of 1980s slashers...The Burning, Happy Birthday to me, Bloody Birthday, Friday the 13th franchise (all excpet Jason X), I can go on and on and on....but the 21st century horror films think that adding tons of more gore and blood without adding something else makes it effective (and since kids are buying tickets still, then they are right), so I'm not down with that. There is a special tone and feeling with those 1970s and 1980s horror movies...they were fun, engaging, and scary all at the same time

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
Nah it's not gore or demonic I'm just saying there isn't shyt in it to laugh at or not take seriously.
I'll still watch. The IMDB cover looks creepy. I need to catch up on a lot of 90's horror movies anyway. Never seen Jacobs Ladder either.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
If you want to keep it real on the Last House on the Left, the og did the exact same thing the modern remake did, in terms of escalation of violence, with the exception of it remaking The Virgin Spring. :yeshrug:

Yea but the OG was not only about violence Craven was layering the whole movie with socioeconomic commentary on class, gender, the family, violence, media, poverty, etc. The remake was strictly trying to shock the audience

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It's not a movie and I already talked to @kp404 but Clive Barker is dropping the novel "The Scarlett Gospels" in May 2015 which is a direct sequel to "The Hellbound Heart". I'm more excited about that, horror-wise, than I have been about movies in a long, long time. It's like Jordan playing ball again.

Hopefully not Wizards Jordan though. :whoa:

Fred.

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
That's why I said foreign when I quoted Uncle_Ruckus. Foreign horror is fine. American horror has been running on fumes. To put it into perspective 3 of the current biggest horror franchises ("Saw", "Insidious", and "The Conjuring") are by one guy, James Wan.

Fred.

:ohhh:Damn didn't know that. Makes sense though.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yea those demonic gore movies like Saw, I can't do. I'll take it in though since I'm interested to see what I missed.

And the first Saw is a tight efficient horror flick with not a lot of blood and gore. It gets lumped in that category because of the sequels and hostel but it has more in common with Se7en than anything else

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
And the first Saw is a tight efficient horror flick with not a lot of blood and gore. It gets lumped in that category because of the sequels and hostel but it has more in common with Se7en than anything else
Yea the first Saw is a GOAT horror movie that would be in a top 30 list for me. The Saw movies after that are just snuff flicks imo.