Welcome to Prime Time, B*tch! The Official Top Ten Horror Movie List Voting Thread

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I am fine with the list (aside from my deep and abiding hatred for Texas Chainsaw Massacre and thinkign that Hellraiser shouldn't be in the top 10) and am not even mad with the order. The most egregious thing about this is that none of Romero's zombie movies made it. Dawn of the Dead not getting more votes than fukking Hellraiser is a crime against the genre.
This might be the best list so far.

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
:dahell:

1/3 them movies you named were garbage. And 1/3 were remakes. One is actually a remake of a 90's movies. Hell, 3 of the moves you named are by one guy, James Wan. That's not the sign that horror is flourishing.

"Jacob's Ladder" alone murks that entire list. You seriously think "The Conjuring" is fukking with "IT"? That "Paranormal Activity" is fukking with "Audition"? That "Insidious" is fukking with "Silence Of The Lambs"? You gotta be trolling right now.

I could understand if you named mostly foreign movies of the last 15 years....but you didn't.

Fred.

I never seen or heard of Audition. I never found Silence of the Lambs to be scary at all. More of a thriller imo. 'It' was a good movie, but the remake will be better when they make it for todays audience. What's wrong with remakes? A lot of them are better than the originals which people tend to forget or not even watch since those movies don't really do much when watching present day as they seem outdated and don't hold up well when you have cell phones and shyt that need to be in horror movies now to make sense. I don't watch foreign horror movies, and I am def not trolling.

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: hex

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I never seen or heard of Audition. I never found Silence of the Lambs to be scary at all. More of a thriller imo. It was a good movie, but the remake will be better when they make it for todays audience. What's wrong with remakes? A lot of them are better than the originals which people tend to forget or not even watch since those movies don't really do much when watching present day as they seem outdated and don't hold up well when you have cell phones and shyt that need to be in horror movies now to make sense. I don't watch foreign horror movies, and I am def not trolling.

Two things breh: See Audition. Don't read anything about it before seeing it, just go see it.

2: out of curiosity, which remakes do you think are better than originals? I'm not even trying to trap you, I'm just curious

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I am fine with the list (aside from my deep and abiding hatred for Texas Chainsaw Massacre and thinkign that Hellraiser shouldn't be in the top 10) and am not even mad with the order. The most egregious thing about this is that none of Romero's zombie movies made it. Dawn of the Dead not getting more votes than fukking Hellraiser is a crime against the genre.

I think most people voted on what scares them or scared them breh. I don't imagine most cats in the coli being afraid of zombies BUT that doesn't mean that his flicks don't belong on the list or aren't dope.

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
Two things breh: See Audition. Don't read anything about it before seeing it, just go see it.

2: out of curiosity, which remakes do you think are better than originals? I'm not even trying to trap you, I'm just curious

Hills Have Eyes remake gave me nightmares for days. I'll never watch that again. Original wasn't scary.

Texas Chainsaw remakes I LOVE all of them! The last one with Trey Songz was really good imo.

Evil Dead remake was twisted af. Not as good as the original, but still a decent horror film.

Last House On The Left was twisted and messed with my head. Only saw the original once and don't remember much.

Also, The Grudge, The Ring and I Am Legend are all piff remakes.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Breh a lot of those were treading water and hence me saying MAINSTREAM. I made sure to put that qualifier in there because I know the Asian scene was popping but on a mainstream level by 96, shyt was deader than disco.

We're splitting hairs here. If you mean '96 compared to the 70's and 80's, I agree. If you mean '96 compared to the 00's....hell no.

I don't know what you mean by mainstream. Every movie I named with the exception of "Body Melt" and "Dead/Alive" received a theatrical release. If you mean "were they all successes/blockbusters"....no but that's not the point I was making.

Can you imagine such a diverse amount of horror being in theaters nowadays? It would never happen. Even a traditionally horror-centric time of year like Halloween can barely sustain one horror movie, which is why the underdog "Trick R Treat" got shelved in favor of a "Saw" sequel.

90's was the last decade you could expect multiple horror movies to come out in damn near every month of the year. The genre was treated with respect. Nowadays, not so much.

Fred.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Hills Have Eyes remake gave me nightmares for days. I'll never watch that again. Original wasn't scary.

Texas Chainsaw remakes I LOVE all of them! The last one with Trey Songz was really good imo.

Evil Dead remake was twisted af. Not as good as the original, but still a decent horror film.

Last House On The Left was twisted and messed with my head. Only saw the original once and don't remember much.

I'm always split on the hills have eyes..the original didn't scare me and neither did the remake but the remake made me feel uncomfortable as hell so I may have to side with you on that one.

Can't agree with you on Chainsaw especially not that last one but the 03 version gets props from me.

Last House on the Left: Haven't seen the remake to speak on it although I have heard quite a few opinions like yours. I've seen the original though and the comic relief in it is a detriment to the flick.

Evil Dead was its own thing which I loved but I see it and the original in two different lights.

I think The Thing is probably the best answer when it comes to a horror flick that is better than the original. The old Howard Hawks one is cool but Carpenter's just takes it to another level. Oh and The Fly of course. The Crazies is a good flick too

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community

if this makes you feel better, Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead missed the cut by 12 points and 13 points, so it was close. Jaws was the first runner up and missed the cut by 2 points

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
We're splitting hairs here. If you mean '96 compared to the 70's and 80's, I agree. If you mean '96 compared to the 00's....hell no.

I don't know what you mean by mainstream. Every movie I named with the exception of "Body Melt" and "Dead/Alive" received a theatrical release. If you mean "were they all successes/blockbusters"....no but that's not the point I was making.

Can you imagine such a diverse amount of horror being in theaters nowadays? It would never happen. Even a traditionally horror-centric time of the year like Halloween can barely sustain one horror movie, which is why the underdog "Trick R Treat" got shelved in favor of a "Saw" sequel.

90's was the last decade you could expect multiple horror movies to come out in damn near every month of the year. The genre was treated with respect. Nowadays, not so much.

Fred.

Audition wasn't given a big release in this country breh and when it comes to Jacob's Ladder and Silence of the Lambs, there is always the question of if they're horror or not (which is an argument for another day) but the general consensus at least when you hear directors and writers talk about American horror in the 90s, is that it was on life support at least. Jason and Freddy were cliched and tired, Candyman had a good first go but the sequels left a lot to be desired and no one was innovating, just kept going back to the well

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I'm always split on the hills have eyes..the original didn't scare me and neither did the remake but the remake made me feel uncomfortable as hell so I may have to side with you on that one.

Can't agree with you on Chainsaw especially not that last one but the 03 version gets props from me.

Last House on the Left: Haven't seen the remake to speak on it although I have heard quite a few opinions like yours. I've seen the original though and the comic relief in it is a detriment to the flick.

Evil Dead was its own thing which I loved but I see it and the original in two different lights.

I think The Thing is probably the best answer when it comes to a horror flick that is better than the original. The old Howard Hawks one is cool but Carpenter's just takes it to another level. Oh and The Fly of course. The Crazies is a good flick too

I'd say "The Thing" and the '78 "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers".

Fred.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community

The only passable remake you listed was Hills have Eyes...that's it. The rest of those films are laughably bad and most of them unwatchable, especially those corny ass texas chainsaw 2000 films...the less said about the boring evil dead remake the better :snoop:

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot

:mindblown:Forgot about The Crazies. That was good too. Also, Piranha 3D was a fun horror remake as well. If we are including remakes before 2000's then The Thing would probably top the list. The Fly was also a great movie, but not that scary to me.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Word forgot about The Ring too I'll take that one..I am Legend :patrice:...if the movie was just the first half than yeah but unfortunately, movies have to have 2nd halves