Welcome to Prime Time, B*tch! The Official Top Ten Horror Movie List Voting Thread

showtime

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't think enough people have seen Black Christmas on the site which is sad but it's also the way this works. Although I feel like I need to defend Scream now. It's a landmark flick, not to say Black Christmas isn't but its influence was co-opted by halloween which isn't fair but it's what happened. Scream is possibly the best horror flick of the 90s (which isn't saying much I guess) and it rejuvenated horror and spawned a long list of imitators but never lost its legacy or place in history. Smart killers, smart satire, smart characters who still fall for the horror tropes even with knowledge of them, and all of it works. Scream's impact is still felt till this day breh.

:comeon: Black Christmas inspired Scream how can you say Scream was more influential? Black Christmas inspired tons of movies and started the whole whodunit theme in horror movies. Black Christmas is the serious all horror version with no comedy version of Scream while Scream is more a spoof of Black Christmas. Black Christmas is one of the most scariest movies of all-time and has some of the most realistic and disturbing kills in horror movie history.

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
I'm talking about the og version not the shytty remake
OG version might crack a top 20 list, but top 10 hell naw. Not when you don't even have Child's Play, Carrie, It, Evil Dead, Dawn Of The Dead etc in the Top 10 and those are way more iconic than BC. I didn't even know about that movie until the remake came out and I found out about the original.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:comeon: Black Christmas inspired Scream how can you say Scream was more influential? Black Christmas inspired tons of movies and started the whole whodunit theme in horror movies. Black Christmas is the serious all horror version with no comedy version of Scream while Scream is more a spoof of Black Christmas. Black Christmas is one of the most scariest movies of all-time and has some of the most realistic and disturbing kills in horror movie history.

Breh I get what you're saying but Black Christmas' influence was trumped by Halloween which is sad but it's true. Halloween became the landmark film about the slasher that everyone imitated...Friday the 13th, Sleepaway Camp, Scream, etc..they all talk about giving props to Halloween and owing it. It's just like Run-DMC gets a lot of props for what they did in hip hop and being so influential but they weren't the first cats to do it and a lot of the cats who came before them and inspired them get the short end of the stick because of it.

Scream has influenced 20 years worth of horror and unlike Black Christmas, another movie didn't come along to usurp its position. Everything that has happened in horror since 96 has been a reaction to scream: Saw, Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity, You're Next, the Innkeepers, Cabin in the woods, etc....Scream changed the rules by talking about the rules and at that point, you either took your film in a similar direction or you tried to go left in order to create new monsters and new rules. Scream showed hollywood that audiences knew all the tropes and that we were growing restless with the shyt so new things had to be invented. Horror movies would either go really graphic (Saw, Hostel) or go really low key (Blair Witch, Paranormal Activity) and all of this is due to that movie. And it helps to have that iconic mask which permeates the culture more.

This isn't a knock on Black Christmas but if you're asking me to name a movie that has done more to shape the landscape of horror it's Scream. It's unfair that Halloween came in and crushed the buildings man but that's life

showtime

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
OG version might crack a top 20 list, but top 10 hell naw. Not when you don't even have Child's Play, Carrie, It, Evil Dead, Dawn Of The Dead etc in the Top 10 and those are way more iconic than BC. I didn't even know about that movie until the remake came out and I found out about the original.

That makes it underrated it was the OG slasher film it inspired all the others. People were not really into slasher movies at the time because it was ahead of it's time which is why it flys under the radar. There would be no Scream if it wasn't for Black Christmas. Many people might not have seen Black Christmas but guess who did? Wes Craven, John Carpenter ect ect. Watch Black Christmas then watch Scream back to back and tell me you don't see the similarities.

showtime

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breh I get what you're saying but Black Christmas' influence was trumped by Halloween which is sad but it's true. Halloween became the landmark film about the slasher that everyone imitated...Friday the 13th, Sleepaway Camp, Scream, etc..they all talk about giving props to Halloween and owing it. It's just like Run-DMC gets a lot of props for what they did in hip hop and being so influential but they weren't the first cats to do it and a lot of the cats who came before them and inspired them get the short end of the stick because of it.

Scream has influenced 20 years worth of horror and unlike Black Christmas, another movie didn't come along to usurp its position. Everything that has happened in horror since 96 has been a reaction to scream: Saw, Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity, You're Next, the Innkeepers, Cabin in the woods, etc....Scream changed the rules by talking about the rules and at that point, you either took your film in a similar direction or you tried to go left in order to create new monsters and new rules. Scream showed hollywood that audiences knew all the tropes and that we were growing restless with the shyt so new things had to be invented. Horror movies would either go really graphic (Saw, Hostel) or go really low key (Blair Witch, Paranormal Activity) and all of this is due to that movie. And it helps to have that iconic mask which permeates the culture more.

This isn't a knock on Black Christmas but if you're asking me to name a movie that has done more to shape the landscape of horror it's Scream. It's unfair that Halloween came in and crushed the buildings man but that's life

:dahell: Black Christmas inspired Halloween the number one movie on this list and you're telling me that scream was more influential? Scream? :heh: Halloween was originally suppose to be the sequel to Black Christmas where "Billy escaped from the asylum and terrorized a small town on Halloween and it was going to be called Halloween. Bob Clark and John Carpenter were both working on the script but Bob Clark decided he didn't want to do a sequel to do Black Christmas after all so John Carpenter took the script and made it into Halloween. So without Black Christmas there is no Halloween. Black Christmas may be the most influential horror movie of all-time :camby::childplease: at Scream

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:dahell: Black Christmas inspired Halloween the number one movie on this list and you're telling me that scream was more influential? Scream? :heh: Halloween was originally suppose to be the sequel to Black Christmas where "Billy escaped from the asylum and terrorized a small town on Halloween and it was going to be called Halloween. Bob Clark and John Carpenter were both working on the script but Bob Clark decided he didn't want to do a sequel to do Black Christmas after all so John Carpenter took the script and made it into Halloween. So without Black Christmas there is no Halloween. Black Christmas may be the most influential horror movie of all-time :camby::childplease: at Scream

Breh...are you not comprehending what I'm saying..I understand everything you're saying, I'm talking about perception. The perception is that halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre pioneered the slasher genre. Whether that's fair or not is a different discussion but that is the general perception. And I'm not saying without Black Christmas we would have Scream, yet again, you're missing the point: Whatever props Black Christmas would've gotten on a big level was trumped when Halloween came out. That sucks but that's what happens. It's like when Rakim was the unquestioned greatest of all time but then other dudes came along and probably knocked him down a couple pegs. Doesn't mean he isn't great, doesn't mean he didn't influence them, but there have been guys since who have taken the genre to greater heights than he did and done more with the mic. Scream did a lot for horror by reviving it in the 90s and forcing everyone to step up their game subsequently. So there's no reason for it to not be on this list at all. Could you argue that movies are scarier? Yes. Could you argue that some movies are better? Yes. But in the history of horror, there's not a damn thing wrong with Scream being on this list or any list of greatest horror flicks of all time

Last edited:

showtime

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breh...are you not comprehending what I'm saying..I understand everything you're saying, I'm talking about perception. The perception is that halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre pioneered the slasher genre. Whether that's fair or not is a different discussion but that is the general perception. And I'm not saying without Black Christmas we would have Scream, yet again, you're missing the point: Whatever props Black Christmas would've gotten on a big level was trumped when Halloween came out. That sucks but that's what happens. It's like when Rakim was the unquestioned greatest of all time but then other dudes came along and probably knocked him down a couple pegs. Doesn't mean he isn't great, doesn't mean he didn't influence them, but there have been guys since who have taken the genre to greater heights than he did and done more with the mic. Scream did a lot for horror by reviving it in the 90s and forcing everyone to step up their game subsequently. So there's no reason for it to not be on this list at all. Could you argue that movies are scarier? Yes. Could you argue that some movies are better? Yes. But in the history of horror, there's not a damn thing wrong with Scream being on this list or any list of greatest horror flicks of all time

Edit: And Bob Clark says that story isn't true breh. I read an interview with him where he said it and then said "no that's not true, halloween was all John" so either we read different interviews or he's just bs'in

I get what you're saying but my whole comment was directed to you saying that Scream was more influential then Black Christmas, when Black Christmas started the slasher genre and inspired Halloween the number one rated horror movie. It also influenced Scream which you can almost say is a remake of Black Christmas because their so similar. But if you like comedy in horror movies and liked Scream better :manny:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I get what you're saying but my whole comment was directed to you saying that Scream was more influential then Black Christmas, when Black Christmas started the slasher genre and inspired Halloween the number one rated horror movie. It also influenced Scream which you can almost say is a remake of Black Christmas because their so similar. But if you like comedy in horror movies and liked Scream better :manny:

Breh it's not about what I like more I'm talking simply the idea that Scream is going to be looked at as doing more for horror than black christmas in a lot of horror circles or at least just as much so there's nothing wrong with it being on the list. If we say Black Christmas influenced horror for 20 years or at least helped because Texas Chainsaw Massacre came out the same year, then Scream influenced horror for the 20 years plus following its release and you can make arguments for both so I'm arguing for Scream although I could make an argument for Black Christmas, especially since I voted for Scream and believe it should be on this list.

Rakim and KRS-One influenced a generation of MCs while BIG and Pac influenced another while Jay and Nas and Wayne and Em influenced another..guess I gotta put Wayne on that list too but the point is, each generation has their touchstone for the past 20 years, it's been Scream for horror

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:dahell: at people saying "Scream" was the best of the 90's. :dahell: at people saying the 90's wasn't popping for horror.

:ufdup:

audition.jpg

MV5BMjMwMDMxNzIzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDMxNzQxMTE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

In+The+Mouth+of+Madness+Book+Cover.jpg

MV5BMTM5ODU3MTc5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTY3MTEyMQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

220px-Hoodposter.jpg

010292zfz.jpg

220px-Candymanposter.jpg

220px-Talesfromthedarkside.jpg

And that's not even counting shyt like "Wishmaster", "Mimic", "Event Horizon", "Species", "Dr. Giggles" and a whole fukk ton of low budget movies like "Body Melt" and "Dead/Alive". The 90's was the last decade where horror was actually popping.

Fred.

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
:dahell: at people saying "Scream" was the best of the 90's. :dahell: at people saying the 90's wasn't popping for horror.

And that's not even counting shyt like "Wishmaster", "Mimic", "Event Horizon", "Species", "Dr. Giggles" and a whole fukk ton of low budget movies like "Body Melt" and "Dead/Alive". The 90's was the last decade where horror was actually popping.

Fred.

90's was shyt for horror breh. post 2000 horror movies have been >>>> than horror movies from the 90's. What movies from the 90's are fukking with...

Paranormal Activity, Saw, The Grudge, The Ring, 28 Days Later, REC, The Strangers, Hills Have Eyes, The Decent, The Mist, Scary Movie, Quarantine, Final Destination, Jeepers Creepers, The Conjuring, Insidious, House of 1000 Corpses, The Cabin In The Woods, Wolf Creek, Ginger Snaps, Trick, R Treat, Wrong Turn, Hatchet, Scream 4, etc etc. I can go on and on.

CGI took horror to the next level. Nothing from the 90's is really that memorable compared to the piff we've gotten in the last 15 years.

Last edited:

EarlyMaridia

All Star
Daps
90's was shyt for horror. post 2000 horror movies have been >>>> than horror movies from the 90's. What movies from the 90's are fukking with...

Paranormal Activity, Saw, The Grudge, The Ring, 28 Days Later, REC, The Strangers, Hills Have Eyes, The Decent, The Mist, Scary Movie, Quarantine, Final Destination, Jeepers Creepers, The Conjuring, Insidious, House of 1000 Corpses, Wolf Creek, Ginger Snaps, Trick, R Treat, etc etc. I can go on forever.

CGI took horror to the next level. Nothing from the 90's is really that memorable compared to the piff we've gotten in the last 15 years.

:whoa: Strong words friend.

I think the 90's wave continued on to the 00's and what actually made horror pop again was the access to film gear by lower classes, and not so much cgi.

edit: And I definitely disagree with the notion that nothing from the 90's compares to shyt in the last 14 years. lol.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

audition.jpg

MV5BMjMwMDMxNzIzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDMxNzQxMTE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

In+The+Mouth+of+Madness+Book+Cover.jpg

MV5BMTM5ODU3MTc5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTY3MTEyMQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

220px-Hoodposter.jpg

010292zfz.jpg

220px-Candymanposter.jpg

220px-Talesfromthedarkside.jpg

Fred.

Breh a lot of those were treading water and hence me saying MAINSTREAM. I made sure to put that qualifier in there because I know the Asian scene was popping but on a mainstream level by 96, shyt was deader than disco.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
90's was shyt for horror. post 2000 horror movies have been >>>> than horror movies from the 90's. What movies from the 90's are fukking with Paranormal Activity, Saw, The Grudge, The Ring, 28 Days Later, REC, The Strangers, Hills Have Eyes, The Decent, The Mist, Saw, The Conjuring, Insidious, etc etc. I can go on forever. CGI took horror to the next level. Nothing from the 90's is really that memorable compared to the piff we've gotten in the last 15 years.

:dahell:

1/3 them movies you named were garbage. And 1/3 were remakes. One is actually a remake of a 90's movies. Hell, 3 of the moves you named are by one guy, James Wan. That's not the sign that horror is flourishing.

"Jacob's Ladder" alone murks that entire list. You seriously think "The Conjuring" is fukking with "IT"? That "Paranormal Activity" is fukking with "Audition"? That "Insidious" is fukking with "Silence Of The Lambs"? You gotta be trolling right now.

I could understand if you named mostly foreign movies of the last 15 years....but you didn't.

Fred.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:dahell:

1/3 them movies you named were garbage. And 1/3 were remakes. One is actually a remake of a 90's movies. Hell, 3 of the moves you named are by one guy, James Wan. That's not the sign that horror is flourishing.

"Jacob's Ladder" alone murks that entire list. You seriously think "The Conjuring" is fukking with "IT"? That "Paranormal Activity" is fukking with "Audition"? That "Insidious" is fukking with "Silence Of The Lambs"? You gotta be trolling right now.

I could understand if you named mostly foreign movies of the last 15 years....but you didn't.

Fred.

Would it make you feel better if I added another qualifier of mid-late 90s?