Welcome to Kirkwood - Official 2024 Atlanta Falcons Thread

Professor K.

rap game Paul Millsap
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
Then why sign him…this is why none of this makes sense. Cousins got paid, for what :heh:

Cousins is/should be our guy
Why the Patriots sign Brissett? They needed a vet QB who could start and get the rest of the team to compete while their rookie learns the system and develops to his fullest potential. We just did *the same exact thing* at a higher level. But instead of only doing it on paper and having a mid QB that we're going to feel the pressure to play the rookie over by week 4, we got a QB we can legitimately compete with and can give MP all the time he needs to refine his talent and hit the ground running without missing a beat.

There's no better way to have spent 45 million on this team to "guarantee" we compete this upcoming season

There's no better player we could have picked to "guarantee" we compete for the next 10 years

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why the Patriots sign Brissett? They needed a vet QB who could start and get the rest of the team to compete while their rookie learns the system and develops to his fullest potential. We just did *the same exact thing* at a higher level. But instead of only doing it on paper and having a mid QB that we're going to feel the pressure to play the rookie over by week 4, we got a QB we can legitimately compete with and can give MP all the time he needs to refine his talent and hit the ground running without missing a beat.

There's no better way to have spent 45 million on this team to "guarantee" we compete this upcoming season

There's no better player we could have picked to "guarantee" we compete for the next 10 years

If they thought Cousins could help them compete they would've drafted a player who could help them this season. They don't believe in Kirk. They have a two year timeline when they think they'll be ready and Penix takes over then.

Problem is you're paying Kirk $100 mil. They could have got Russ for $1 mil or brought in Jameis or Jacoby for cheap. Problem is if they did that everyone would know they're drafting a QB.

Kirk is the NFL's most expensive diversion :mjlol:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
No matter how you spin it the timeline doesn’t match up for anyone and now you have two QBs confused as hell as to what is going on.

You sell Cousins on coming here and winning now, you don’t draft someone who can help him win now, and then tell him his focus needs to be partially on training his replacement.

We drafted a QB that under the best circumstances won’t see the field until he is 27-28. He knows he is old, he wants to play earlier than that. And I’m gonna throw it out there, if Cousins even slightly struggles you gonna start up some more shyt with half of the fanbase wanting to push Penix out there early. Meaning you have a 100 million dollar problem in Cousins.

If the goal was to have a QB ready play in year 3-4 of Cousins contract you could have found that in next years draft or the year after. You don’t spend a top 10 pick on the 4th best qb who in all seriousness you don’t even want to play in the near future. And you don’t spend 100 million dollars on a teacher!

There are reports that numerous teams behind us were salivating over a QB. Trade down with them and regain some draft picks you are about to lose due to tampering. Then pick someone who can help us win now!

Last edited:

Moose_Greyjoy

I DO Not Sow
Daps

I just don’t like the idea of ”hedging“ our bet on Cousins, which is what it feels like. With the potential of losing picks next season, I feel like the time is now to add on defense. You don’t pay that much on a QB, if your not all in.

Professor K.

rap game Paul Millsap
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
If they thought Cousins could help them compete they would've drafted a player who could help them this season. They don't believe in Kirk. They have a two year timeline when they think they'll be ready and Penix takes over then.

Problem is you're paying Kirk $100 mil. They could have got Russ for $1 mil or brought in Jameis or Jacoby for cheap. Problem is if they did that everyone would know they're drafting a QB.

Kirk is the NFL's most expensive diversion :mjlol:
:patrice: Well when you put it that way.... :mjlol:

As far as the draft goes:
-our OL is set and we would've been on OT3 anyway
-the DEs and CBs were obviously overhyped
-Odunze all but guarantees we let one of Pitts/London walk

Obviously Latu or Turner or Mitchell would've gotten more burn this upcoming season, but I can't say there was an obvious better pick

AVXL

Laughing at you n*ggaz like “ha ha ha”
Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
Rah Dawg just got 18 sacks out of 2 3rd rounders last year and turned a 300 pound DT into a 3-4 OLB. If any of the top 3 edges were really that guy, they would've been picked before 15/17/19, really before 8. The pass rush is gonna live and die by the scheme

So you’re good with this pick?

Professor K.

rap game Paul Millsap
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
So you’re good with this pick?
Yes breh, I loved MP as a prospect and wanted him for us before we signed Kirk. Once we signed him I didn't think it would go this way, but I'm still ecstatic about getting IMO the 2nd best QB in the draft at 8.

-I would've been cool with any one of the top 3 edges but I wasn't sold on any of them, and the league obviously wasn't either. The scheme doesn't call for elite edges anyway.
-I think Mitchell could be another Sauce Gardner, but him going in the 20s shows that wasn't consensus.
-Odunze would've been nice but that wasn't happening after 3 straight skill players in the top 10

We live in a world where Bo fukking Nix just went 12th overall. This was the only shot we will have at a QB without something going terribly wrong in the next 3 years. We have an answer to the biggest question in sports(who's our QB?) for the next decade. We got that out the way. Now we can focus on building the best overall team without having that looming over us.

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yes breh, I loved MP as a prospect and wanted him for us before we signed Kirk. Once we signed him I didn't think it would go this way, but I'm still ecstatic about getting IMO the 2nd best QB in the draft at 8.

-I would've been cool with any one of the top 3 edges but I wasn't sold on any of them, and the league obviously wasn't either. The scheme doesn't call for elite edges anyway.
-I think Mitchell could be another Sauce Gardner, but him going in the 20s shows that wasn't consensus.
-Odunze would've been nice but that wasn't happening after 3 straight skill players in the top 10

We live in a world where Bo fukking Nix just went 12th overall. This was the only shot we will have at a QB without something going terribly wrong in the next 3 years. We have an answer to the biggest question in sports(who's our QB?) for the next decade. We got that out the way. Now we can focus on building the best overall team without having that looming over us.
Rah’s scheme needs a pass rush tho. That soft shell is dependent on rushing 4 and taking away big plays. But everything else is a free for all. If you can’t get to the QB it’s painful to watch. 2022 Rams

But if you can get to the QB it’s a thing of beauty. 2021 Rams

I gotta assume yall go DL heavy for the rest of the draft. I would have loved to see yall take Latu. If he didn’t have the neck concerns he would have been a top 3 pick. Dude is amazing.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I mean, yeah… if you think Penix is a great QB prospect and you wanna put him on the Jordan Love program and have him sit 2+ years I get taking him at 8, but Kirk probably doesn’t even sign there if you let him know you’re drafting a QB in the first round.

If the Falcons wanted to go this route, why not go with a 1 year stopgap? Penix is already an older rookie. Could’ve just paid Jameis for 1 year while Penix gets seasoning and move on to Penix in 2025. Barring catastrophic injury Captain Kirk is QB1 for at least 2 years and possibly 3 because of his contract

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I mean, yeah… if you think Penix is a great QB prospect and you wanna put him on the Jordan Love program and have him sit 2+ years I get taking him at 8, but Kirk probably doesn’t even sign there if you let him know you’re drafting a QB in the first round.

If the Falcons wanted to go this route, why not go with a 1 year stopgap? Penix is already an older rookie. Could’ve just paid Jameis for 1 year while Penix gets seasoning and move on to Penix in 2025. Barring catastrophic injury Captain Kirk is QB1 for at least 2 years and possibly 3 because of his contract
This ain't Jordan Love. That's what they trying to sell to keep Cousins reps cool but this is more like Alex Smith/Pat Mahomes. Penix got a shyt ton of starts and amazing film. He just needs some mechanical work. This is Alex Smith/Pat Mahomes all over again.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
No matter how you spin it the timeline doesn’t match up for anyone and now you have two QBs confused as hell as to what is going on.

You sell Cousins on coming here and winning now, you don’t draft someone who can help him win now, and then tell him his focus needs to be partially on training his replacement.

We drafted a QB that under the best circumstances won’t see the field until he is 27-28. He knows he is old, he wants to play earlier than that. And I’m gonna throw it out there, if Cousins even slightly struggles you gonna start up some more shyt with half of the fanbase wanting to push Penix out there early. Meaning you have a 100 million dollar problem in Cousins.

If the goal was to have a QB ready play in year 3-4 of Cousins contract you could have found that in next years draft or the year after. You don’t spend a top 10 pick on the 4th best qb who in all seriousness you don’t even want to play in the near future. And you don’t spend 100 million dollars on a teacher!

There are reports that numerous teams behind us were salivating over a QB. Trade down with them and regain some draft picks you are about to lose due to tampering. Then pick someone who can help us win now!
They can say what they want but it means they don't believe Cousins is that guy. Teams don't draft top 10 QBs and they sit more than a year, especially fairly polished with obviously some pro work needed like for Penix Jr. This is a redshirt year, Cousins will be on another team in 2025. They basically plushed 25 mil in the drain but they got an top end mentor for Penix and they don't have to rush him which is worth more than gold.

Professor K.

rap game Paul Millsap
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
Rah’s scheme needs a pass rush tho. That soft shell is dependent on rushing 4 and taking away big plays. But everything else is a free for all. If you can’t get to the QB it’s painful to watch. 2022 Rams

But if you can get to the QB it’s a thing of beauty. 2021 Rams

I gotta assume yall go DL heavy for the rest of the draft. I would have loved to see yall take Latu. If he didn’t have the neck concerns he would have been a top 3 pick. Dude is amazing.
Yes he's rushing 4, but it's not the same 4. Yall brought the most pressure from off-ball LBs of anyone in the league last year. You got 4.5 sacks from your MLB. We have 2 ILBs in Elliss and Andersen who could easily get 5 apiece with that same opportunity. We also have one of the best coverage OLBs in the league(dumb category, but still valid) in Lorenzo Carter who can help execute that too.

Latu is nasty and might've been the best pick in a vacuum, but if Rah can get 18 sacks out of the 3rd round for yall last year, no reason he can't get like half of that out of, say, Mo Kamara and Noah Elliss this year. We just gotta make smart picks the rest of the way.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Yes he's rushing 4, but it's not the same 4. Yall brought the most pressure from off-ball LBs of anyone in the league last year. You got 4.5 sacks from your MLB. We have 2 ILBs in Elliss and Andersen who could easily get 5 apiece with that same opportunity. We also have one of the best coverage OLBs in the league(dumb category, but still valid) in Lorenzo Carter who can help execute that too.

Latu is nasty and might've been the best pick in a vacuum, but if Rah can get 18 sacks out of the 3rd round for yall last year, no reason he can't get like half of that out of, say, Mo Kamara and Noah Elliss this year. We just gotta make smart picks the rest of the way.
None of the EDGE guys were top 10 good. None were even close. They are guys you draft in the teens and that's where they landed. Decent EDGEs who could become good EDGEs are not top 10 picks. If there was a Thibedeux or a Micah Parsons, you should take him but there was no one close.