We Need a Second Great Migration: Black Folks Need to Head Back Downsouth (NYT)

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Idgaf. Ppl in the south be lying to themselves tryna make the south cities seem like the best. Mfcas really was in the other thread comparing Atlanta to Los Angeles. Give me a break :mjlol:

Like I said new Orleans dope culture wise. Houston is diverse. But outside of that nothing in the south comes CLOSE to the big 3( la, nyc, Chicago). Sorry but truth hurts :yeshrug:

Thurgood Thurston III

#LLNB #LLLB #E4R | woooK nypdK
Daps
Reppin
The kirk to the fields
Others have objected: Isn’t the North just better for Black people than the South?

Many Black people are leery of the South, if not afraid of it. They still have in their minds a retrograde South: dirty and dusty, overgrown and underdeveloped, a third-world region in a first-world country. They see a region that is unenlightened and repressive, overrun by religious zealots and open racists. The caricatures have calcified: hillbillies and banjos, Confederate flags and the Ku Klux Klan.

To be sure, all of that is here. But racism is more evenly distributed across the country than we are willing to admit.

I can't believe Mr. Blow wrote this.

He should know better as a Lousiana native and Grambling grad.

What Black people? Many? NAH. How are we afraid of somewhere we always lived, visited -- and family is still at?

Who thinks this about the South?

I see what the Mr. Blow was trying to do. But, it comes off wrong and disconnected.
Exactly!! It's like how the coli assumes everyone from NY hates the south.

Every NYer literally brags about visiting the south and constantly talks about wanting to move there.

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
breh

it's just online shyt

you can move anywhere and most of these people ain't gonna pay you no mind.

OP, look at the posts in here from most of the people from the south.

They hate us and don't want us in their city. So, what's the point, if we're not gonna live peacefully?

Flywin Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lannister Bloodline
“I am unapologetically pro-Black, not because I believe in Black supremacy, which is as false and reckless a notion as white supremacy, but rather because I insist upon Black equity and equality.”

Just to be clear is the author suggesting white supremacy is a false notion?

I agree that the concept of any 1-sided supremacy is reckless (history proved it) but white supremacy us 1,000,000% not a false notion.

To say so is extremely dangerous and it glosses over a cornerstone of society and inequality.

“Black people need no permission to seek their own liberation.”
True. It does however require more than us finally uniting and working together. It will require collaboration with those in power (white people)

I say to Black people: Return to the South, cast down your anchor and create an environment in which racial oppression has no place.”

How is the South an environment without racial oppression..?
:jbhmm:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
The South is superior to the North in every category except their draconian marijuana laws.

But if you’re a Black man that values home ownership, keeping more of your paycheck, the right to bear arms, less regulation for starting a small business and warmer weather.. The South is the obvious choice.

Plus they have better looking women and cuisine.
This reads like a Candace Owens endorsed post:scust:

And it ignores the huge racial inequity in education, healthcare and Worker rights laws in the south

Not shocking coming from a maga

Flywin Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lannister Bloodline
When are black people going to focus on getting money instead of worrying about “hate” all the time from cacs in a cac nation.

Texas, ATL and NC are good southern states cause they have large cities that can give black folks good paying gigs.

Money and wealth should be the only concern of the black community. Once you get that then we can talk about politics.
You used ‘gigs’ and ‘wealth’ in one sentence.

As long as you have a job, there’s a 99% chance you’ll never accumulate wealth

You asked why Black people talk about racist cacs: because they run society and make the rules. It is unfair and impacts us all negatively.

We should focus on creating our own health, you are 100% right. We should also focus on ending the unhealthy situation where we are NOT the ones making most money off our own culture (music, clothing a.o.) and where we don’t control the narrative around and of our culture (media like Complex is a perfect example.)

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
This reads like a Candace Owens endorsed post:scust:

And it ignores the huge racial inequity in education, healthcare and Worker rights laws in the south

Not shocking coming from a maga
If you don’t value the things that I listed, then move to Boston or Seattle.

What the fukk do I care?

To each their own

:manny:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
If you don’t value the things that I listed, then move to Boston or Seattle.

What the fukk do I care?

To each their own

:manny:
It’s not about valuing those things it’s you pretending the black QOL is better in the south die conservative talking points which is just a flat out lie

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
“I am unapologetically pro-Black, not because I believe in Black supremacy, which is as false and reckless a notion as white supremacy, but rather because I insist upon Black equity and equality.”

Just to be clear is the author suggesting white supremacy is a false notion?

I agree that the concept of any 1-sided supremacy is reckless (history proved it) but white supremacy us 1,000,000% not a false notion.

To say so is extremely dangerous and it glosses over a cornerstone of society and inequality.

“Black people need no permission to seek their own liberation.”
True. It does however require more than us finally uniting and working together. It will require collaboration with those in power (white people)

I say to Black people: Return to the South, cast down your anchor and create an environment in which racial oppression has no place.”

How is the South an environment without racial oppression..?
:jbhmm:
That’s not what he’s saying at all.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
The best jobs in my industry are in NYC, Chicago and LA so unless I pivot to something that has good jobs everywhere, the south isn't really an option for me until retirement.

Edit: Also dude went all the way to ATL when he could've moved 10 miles over to Newark or East Orange to live somewhere with black political power. Both cities are represented by a black senator, black house rep and governed by a black deputy governor and black mayors.

Last edited: