We May Have Our Black Panther Director Brehs (Coogler finally confirmed!)

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I am a progressive politically and everything but I think people take PC shyt too far. What self-respecting Black female turns down a chance to direct a movie with a lead that is the same as them to do uh something they aren't?! It just doesn't speak to the nature of most people IMO.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Because Spider-Man is still a joint effort with Sony and they still get the final call on the solo movies.

And I feel like Feige and Pascal would both have enough weight especially Feige at this point to vouch for her. I'm not saying it could happen I'm just saying that it doesn't have to be you're black and a woman do these jobs that are about black people and women. Again I'm speaking on a personal thing breh and how I'm wrestling with it.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I am a progressive politically and everything but I think people take PC shyt too far. What self-respecting Black female turns down a chance to direct a movie with a lead that is the same as them to do uh something they aren't?! It just doesn't speak to the nature of most people IMO.

I agree with that lol. Like I said I'm split. I'm in no way saying one feeling is right and the other is wrong I'm saying it's something I'm wrestling with. You're right why would she turn it down? But speaking for myself if I were a director I would because it's not a character I've got a lot of of passion for or even a great knowledge of; I don't feel like I'd do him justice and would much rather someone else take it who adores the character. Whereas if someone offered me spider man or batman or a cap movie I'd do it in a heartbeat

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
It's reality my G. Be a Black female and get offered to direct a movie about an African king or the first female led Marvel movie and turn it down to direct a 3rd sequel about a Norse god? How's that gonna play with her peers/community/personally? Not very well is my guess.
:patrice: idk breh it's like hearing Ellen degenres is being courted to do a comic book movie and automatically concluding it's a movie about the chronicles of maggie sawyer

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
:patrice: idk breh it's like hearing Ellen degenres is being courted to do a comic book movie and automatically concluding it's a movie about the chronicles of maggie sawyer
It would be nice if we could clear all the history of mankind and be so pure in thought that a Black woman could just do whatever she wants and not be labeled anything negative for it. But that's not where we are as a society, we do have to consider history. To get to a place where, wow people can do whatever they want without us discussing the racial/gender issues surrounding that choice. We have to first do this, get women and darkies involved in high profile projects that will keep the negative comments to a minimum and then see them succeed, succeed tremendously in fact. There is no magic wand, there has to be a step by step strategy.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
F Gary Gray was in line to direct The Winter Soldier before he pulled out to do NWA, wouldn't be surprised if it's him.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
too big and accomplished for marvel I don't care that he's black

Yet they approached him, was in talks and one of the final three candidates considered to direct Captain America 2 before the NWA movie popped up. He clearly wasn't too big for them. He hasn't done anything major since Law Abiding Citizen. Combine The Negotiator and Law abiding Citizen with a few big action scenes and you've pretty much got a movie based on the Black Panther's most critically acclaimed story.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Yet they approached him, was in talks and one of the final three candidates considered to direct Captain America 2 before the NWA movie popped up. He clearly wasn't too big for them.
coulda woulda shoulda but he still never made the movie and so far no accomplished director like that has.
He hasn't done anything major since Law Abiding Citizen. Combine The Negotiator and Law abiding Citizen with a few big action scenes and you've pretty much got a movie based on the Black Panther's most critically acclaimed story.
which was?

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
coulda woulda shoulda but he still never made the movie and so far no accomplished director like that has.which was?

He isn't as big as you're trying to suggest :francis: if he was too big he never would have been in considered and in contention to direct let alone make the final 3 shortlist of possible choices.

which was?

The Client.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
I just know they're going to make this whack.

DC would nail a Black Panther movie.

That's exactly why. It's hollywood, so they think this is being progressive. they chose a woman to direct Wonder Woman. A woman who hasnt directed in 12 years:pachaha:
:mjlol:

Found a way to bring DC into the conversation :ehh: