We May Have Our Black Panther Director Brehs (Coogler finally confirmed!)

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
I get that but she still has to follow the path set forth by Marvel. These characters are over 40 years old. She needs to understand that she still has to follow the path established in the comics.
She doesn't have to understand shyt cuz she won't accept the project for reasons stated. They can try to court a AA for PR purposes all they like, they are many unknown AA directors ready to be a marvel slave, duvernay still has stories to tell

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Normally, I wouldn't mind what race a director is, but I'm concerned that a Non-Black director on this project would low key try to undermine the character in some fashion. DuVernay intentionally avoided the White Savior shyt with LBJ in Selma. I'm sure she will try her best here to make T'Challa and Wakanda as great as they can possibly be.
Why would they undermine the character?

You know most of the people that made the character are white right?

Jack Kirby and Stan Lee who created him were white. His first two books were written by white men (The first being arguably his best)

He has only had two black writers and one was the worst to ever write him while Priest was a fan favorite. The race doesn't matter just get the character right.

Shade

King of Wakanda.
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
A movie about a black superhero gets a award winning black director but people here are still not happy

I love this place

It's the Coli. Sounding no different than these white comic book forums bytching about her possibly directing BP because she's black.
Why would they undermine the character?

You know most of the people that made the character are white right?

Jack Kirby and Stan Lee who created him were white. His first two books were written by white men (The first being arguably his best)

He has only had two black writers and one was the worst to ever write him while Priest was a fan favorite. The race doesn't matter just get the character right.

I wasn't a fan of Hudlin's run but he's def not the worst person to write BP. That award goes to Roy Thomas during his avengers run. There's also more I can name who wrote a worst BP than Hudlin.

Bruce Wayne

THE GODDAMN BILLIONAIRE
Daps
Reppin
Gotham City
Selma was a Beautiful Movie and I know it seems Obvious but I just don't get why she'll be Directing a Black Panther Movie. Ehh, other than that 2018 seems so long away.:noah:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
2ndly the writer is caucasian :beli:

homer_the_end_is_near.jpg

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
It's the Coli. Sounding no different than these white comic book forums bytching about her possibly directing BP because she's black.

I wasn't a fan of Hudlin's run but he's def not the worst person to write BP. That award goes to Roy Thomas during his avengers run. There's also more I can name who wrote a worst BP than Hudlin.
Roy Thomas didn't write a Black Panther book he was writing the Avengers and some people would say maberry but he was writing a Shuri book not t'challa. Hudlin was easily he worst.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Why NOT get her for Black Panther? You have absolutely NO qualms other than she's a black director taking on an iconic BLACK character?? The fukk?

Cause he was created by white guys breh. I get what you're saying but you're acting as if black panther was created by a black man or woman and has only been written by black people. Who's the current writer on the book?

I'm not saying she shouldn't do it I'd love for her to do it but I also don't agree that another director of another race couldn't do the character justice

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I get that but she still has to follow the path set forth by Marvel. These characters are over 40 years old. She needs to understand that she still has to follow the path established in the comics.
Marvel doesn't do well with creators that have a distinctive creative vision because they want a certain homogenized house style to all of their films. That can be chafing to some types of directors and I happen to think Duvernay might be one of them.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Marvel doesn't do well with creators that have a distinctive creative vision because they want a certain homogenized house style to all of their films. That can be chafing to some types of directors and I happen to think Duvernay might be one of them.

That's my issue with this for real. I don't want to see her stymied