We May Have Our Black Panther Director Brehs (Coogler finally confirmed!)

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Normally, I wouldn't mind what race a director is, but I'm concerned that a Non-Black director on this project would low key try to undermine the character in some fashion. DuVernay intentionally avoided the White Savior shyt with LBJ in Selma. I'm sure she will try her best here to make T'Challa and Wakanda as great as they can possibly be.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Marvel is reportedly courting Ava DuVernay to direct one of its Phase 3 movies.

According to The Wrap, which broke the news, multiple sources have suggested that the director will helm Black Panther, due to open July 2018.

DuVernay is best known for last year's historical drama Selma, which debuted to great critical acclaim. Her previous work includes the independent features I Will Follow (2012) and Middle of Nowhere (2012). The latter nabbed her the Best Director award at 2012's Sundance Film Festival.

The Wrap notes that Marvel Studios is consciously seeking out an African-American director for Black Panther, which is set to star Chadwick Boseman as the eponymous hero. If DuVernay lands the gig, it will also mark the first time a woman has helmed a Marvel movie, following the departure of Patty Jenkins during production of Thor: The Dark World.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05...selma-director-ava-duvernay-for-phase-3-movie

Selma was one of the best movies I've seen in the past couple of years. I think she could do T'Challa justice and bring BLACK EXCELLENCE TO MCU

sounds like ducktales, not sure she is the type of director that can put her creativity aside to serve a machine especially for a long period. Even if she does agree and that's a big if 3 years is plenty of time for her to leave

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
A movie about a black superhero gets a award winning black director but people here are still not happy
Why should they be? First of all they are just courting her nothing is definate, 2ndly the writer is caucasian :beli:
Normally, I wouldn't mind what race a director is, but I'm concerned that a Non-Black director on this project would low key try to undermine the character in some fashion. DuVernay intentionally avoided the White Savior shyt with LBJ in Selma. I'm sure she will try her best here to make T'Challa and Wakanda as great as they can possibly be.
what sway does she have with the script when the writer is a cac?

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Hope she's good at doing action.

We don't need another Ang Lee incident.
A lot of these directing choices are merely just caretakers to marvels vision.Who could believe the guy that did "very bad things" could do "iron man". Or the guys responsible for "you me and dupree" could do TWS :francis:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
sounds like ducktales, not sure she is the type of director that can put her creativity aside to serve a machine especially for a long period. Even if she does agree and that's a big if 3 years is plenty of time for her to leave
That was my thought upon reading this too. Marvel is stifling to creative directors and from the interviews I have seen of Duvernay she doesn't seem like the type to basically set aside her own creative vision to basically be Kevin Fiege's hand puppet.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

That's the one thing I'm thinking about and a writer on ain't it cool said: marvel is very control heavy right now and increasingly alienating talent behind the camera. I don't know if she can just be a part of the machine

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
That was my thought upon reading this too. Marvel is stifling to creative directors and from the interviews I have seen of Duvernay she doesn't seem like the type to basically set aside her own creative vision to basically be Kevin Fiege's hand puppet.
I get that but she still has to follow the path set forth by Marvel. These characters are over 40 years old. She needs to understand that she still has to follow the path established in the comics.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I get that but she still has to follow the path set forth by Marvel. These characters are over 40 years old. She needs to understand that she still has to follow the path established in the comics.

There's a difference in following path and not being able to put your vision on film