"...we are just running at a f*cking wall, I think, and we're gonna crash on that wall really soon" - CDPR on 'AAA' RPG's

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
f6xe49h.gif

you are insane

I’m not making it up. :manny:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Only reason you are arguing with me now is cause i used spider-man as an example, but my whole point was that ALL complex open world games have this type of stuff.

No, not like Cyberpunk.

The entire thread is just kinda off from the beginning. CDPR are the last studio I’d listen to about the difficulties of AAA game development. It’s like taking financial advice from Mike Tyson

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, Nintendo have their own problems. They are basically victims of the Switch’s success along with all the software like Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Etc.

They have to make a decisions whether or not to cut off their still successful console in order to keep up with the other two so they can get 3rd party support. People also expect something unique from them, but enthusiast want them to match or surpass steam deck

Not even steam deck, just solid frame rate and decent visuals, I really want to play games like Breath of the Wild but 30fps is unbearable. I love the DS and gamecube, but I'm not buying a modern nintendo console until they get that right, I'll take any resolution idc.

I’m not making it up. :manny:

"AC Unity hate is driven by a media narrative" Posts a media narrative

The game had glaring frame pacing issues on both consoles at launch, there's no arguing that.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
It's a good discussion from the technical side. One thing missing is the money side, where the suits make things worse for everybody with their antics.

A studio doing something innovative should spur innovation elsewhere, but it more than likely makes the suits want to cheat with some bait-and-switch rubbish to keep eyeballs on their own platforms/games/bottom line.

- MTX where it isn't necessary
- forcing multiplayer where it isn't necessary
- buying innovative studios to cannibalize their talent and shut them down thereafter, the better to manage public expectations(or so they think) and actually slowing down innovation

etc etc etc.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
No, not like Cyberpunk.

There was all types of fukkery with RDR2 and plenty of other games. Cyberpunk shyt got way overblown after a certain point.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
MTX where it isn't necessary
- forcing multiplayer where it isn't necessary
- buying innovative studios to cannibalize their talent and shut them down thereafter, the better to manage public expectations(or so they think) and actually slowing down innovation

Right.

And people can go on about “sony stans” and “movie games” and “shallow gameplay” but Sony isn’t loading up their single player games with MTX menu’s, and constant season passes.

Suckerpunch put out a free full fledged multiplayer mode separately for free. Returnal released an endless tower and co-op mode for free. Etc.

I will always support big budget single player at full price or at least root for the stuff im not interested in if its not putting that stuff in there, RE4 aside.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Not even steam deck, just solid frame rate and decent visuals, I really want to play games like Breath of the Wild but 30fps is unbearable. I love the DS and gamecube, but I'm not buying a modern nintendo console until they get that right, I'll take any resolution idc.

"AC Unity hate is driven by a media narrative" Posts a media narrative

The game had glaring frame pacing issues on both consoles at launch, there's no arguing that.
Bloodborne (and plenty other games) have the same terrible frame pacing issues and people love that game(and others)

Somehow AC unity is the face of it….why? cause the “explosive backlash” the game received online and in the media. :manny:

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
the whole context was about the budget needed to do these things

Working within the budgetary framework they're given, yes.

How many devs have the power to push back, to change that framework or associated practices in a circle of suits? How many can effectively tell the money "look, you need to quit with that"?