"...we are just running at a f*cking wall, I think, and we're gonna crash on that wall really soon" - CDPR on 'AAA' RPG's

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
For every stardew valley or hollow knight theres like 20 more farming sims and metroidvanias that follow the same formula. Its just easy to cherry pick the ones that blow up

You can do the same thing with AAA games, Monster Hunter World, Red Dead Redemption,Death Stranding, Detroit Become Human, Returnal, Doom, X-Com, Forza, Mortal Kombat, etc.
There's a million indie games. It'd be impossible to play them all. Of course there's gonna be some overlap but that doesn't mean they aren't good or fun. They aren't bloated either. There's also PLENTY of variety.

You cannot say the same for the AAA gaming space right now.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
There's a million indie games. It'd be impossible to play them all. Of course there's gonna be some overlap but that doesn't mean they aren't good or fun. They aren't bloated either. There's also PLENTY of variety.

You cannot say the same for the AAA gaming space right now.

Out of the millions the ones that all end up super popular follow trends, just like with AAA. Sure theres millions of genres but how many are the “darling indies” that get put on center stage around award season?

Anything people put significant time and money into has a certain level of risk aversion. The indie developer is just as vunerable as the AAA studio

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Naturally, there's fewer of them so variety is more important.

And like i said, people are poking fun at me for saying “this is a goat year” in gaming because i listed things like Street Fighter 6, Resident Evil 4, Armored Core VI, Spider-Man, Tekken, Baldurs Gate, theres jsut as much variety in the AAA space if you’re looking for it.

If you only play open world games of course you’re gonna think poorly of it. just like how i keep buying metroidvania indie games and being disappointed

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
And like i said, people are poking fun at me for saying “this is a goat year” in gaming because i listed things like Street Fighter 6, Resident Evil 4, Armored Core VI, Spider-Man, Tekken, Baldurs Gate, theres jsut as much variety in the AAA space if you’re looking for it.

If you only play open world games of course you’re gonna think poorly of it. just like how i keep buying metroidvania indie games and being disappointed

I feel where you're coming from, but a lot of the games you listed like RE4 and SF6 are very similar to games in a series that directly preceded them. :manny:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

five sequels, and a remake of a sequel. overflowing with originality :troll:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I feel where you're coming from, but a lot of the games you listed like RE4 and SF6 are very similar to games in a series that directly preceded them. :manny:

And you can quote me on this, that the biggest indie games this year will also be sequels, Hades 2, and Silksong

And let’s not pretend half those indie gams aren’t borrowing their formula from some famous AAA game from 3-5 generations ago. I purchase so many indie games a year and the majority of them always end up feeling just as shallow and uninspired as the AAA games people complain about

Throw some message about self care or mental health in another earthbound clone or text based adventure game and watch it become a critical darling

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Cyberpunk was only really bad if you were playing on Medium range PC or PS still not bad enough that it should have been removed from the Store. But it wouldn't have been a good look going into the new gen with one of the most hyped up games and everyone buying it on Xbox because the PS4 version is inferior and PS5 doesn't have any backwards compatibility support or enhancements but good on Xbox1 and Series...

Once Sony decided to remove it from the store it was basically a wrap media wise. Wouldn't have been a good look

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Gamers are shytty as fukk now. So are reviewers. I mean u got people who aren't willing to pay for a game that isn't 40 hours regardless of genre. Meanwhile when u look at the amount of people that actually finish games its very low. They want these companies to make blockbuster games with intense budgets and be super long. But don't understand why it would make sense to pay a little more for games than the past. And don't let a game have mechanics that people aren't used to. It gets written off. ONE game review can change the whole outlook of a game. shyt look at what that re-review of Code Veronica did to that games reputation. History has literally be rewritten about that game at this point. Like someone else on here said. Some of our all time favorite and classic games got in the 7s and 8s back in the day. shyt Silent Hill 2 got like a 7.7 in GameSpot back then. And that's one of the greatest games of all time. And a top 5 horror game.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Gamers are shytty as fukk now. So are reviewers. I mean u got people who aren't willing to pay for a game that isn't 40 hours regardless of genre. Meanwhile when u look at the amount of people that actually finish games its very low. They want these companies to make blockbuster games with intense budgets and be super long. But don't understand why it would make sense to pay a little more for games than the past. And don't let a game have mechanics that people aren't used to. It gets written off. ONE game review can change the whole outlook of a game. shyt look at what that re-review of Code Veronica did to that games reputation. History has literally be rewritten about that game at this point. Like someone else on here said. Some of our all time favorite and classic games got in the 7s and 8s back in the day. shyt Silent Hill 2 got like a 7.7 in GameSpot back then. And that's one of the greatest games of all time. And a top 5 horror game.

Another reason why i never complained about 70 dollars. Theres no way you can realistically take a step back, look at the scope of games these days and what people demand of them and not be able to see that raising prices for the first time in over 20 years is unreasonable.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Another reason why i never complained about 70 dollars. Theres no way you can realistically take a step back, look at the scope of games these days and what people demand of them and not be able to see that raising prices over the past 20 years is unreasonable.
And like I always say. Anyone who comes from the SNES and Genesis era should understand. We were paying upwards of 90 bucks for certain games. With inflation that's damn near $183 bucks for one game right now. Imagine paying that for a fukking fighting game right now. Non special edition. And those games back then ain't even nowhere near the budget games have now.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
And like I always say. Anyone who comes from the SNES and Genesis era should understand. We were paying upwards of 90 bucks for certain games. With inflation that's damn near $183 bucks for one game right now. Imagine paying that for a fukking fighting game right now. Non special edition. And those games back then ain't even nowhere near the budget games have now.

There were 4 street fighter games on the SNES and they all cost 65-75 dollars for the same exact roster and stages (outside of super street fighter) :dead:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
also, i just find it amazing that people can drone on for multiple pages about the DIRE and formulaic state of AAA games yet when there are indie direct showcase threads on here its fukking crickets. Look at most indie game threads on here, nothing but straight up dust balls.

Let one of the big 3 announce a showcase this summer and not show big mainline AAA titles, and watch this forum go into depression mode about the state of gaming again

And its not just here, its everywhere, most gamers that participate in these gaming discussions only care about big games. If they care about indies, like i said its going to be the same 6. Every nintendo indie direct the chat is flooded with silksong begging, its an entire meme at this point.